Shitbox Rally 2015

Post here about...well...anything!
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Shitbox Rally 2015

Post by Mad_Marx »

The tercel represents again. Note the 1 minute 24 second mark

https://vimeo.com/130950402
Last edited by Mad_Marx on Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Re: Shut box Rally 2015

Post by Ridlbox »

After watching the video I must say go" stinky fish "
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that looks like such a blast, wish we had something similar here. looks like there may be more than one T4wd, but I just got a glimpse, I did not watch the whole thing. I love those "lego-men" outfits!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

At one point during the film they called the little red tercel and undestroyable brick
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
melzy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: tercel 4wd 1983

Post by melzy »

Way cool!
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

Watched all of this, tercel at 21-24 min ,blowen head gasket and all. My son lives in Perth.went there 3 yr ago for 4 weeks Wonderful people, dam this would be a lot of fun. Larry :D :D :D :D :D
melzy
Advanced Member

Re: Shitbox Rally 2015

Post by melzy »

:idea: You guys should do an American version! U have all those cool deserts and different terrains :mrgreen:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that would be fun, wonder if we can find all unpaved roads from the Canadian boarder to Mexico. It would be over 1000 miles!

Perhaps we can start small with a 150-200 mile loop route through desert, and mountains back roads.
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Oh please do! The documentation of the Tercels in particular would be brilliant! Also great to see the American landscapes and some crazy Tercel mods and creations :)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Great video. Well done Mad_Marx sounds like the Tercel has done 4 rallys? amazing. Any chance you are going to use it again next year?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I thought of a good name "Beaters to 'Boarders Rally". In American slang, car dealers call running junky cars "beaters", so they have something to sell those on a low budget. These are cars that get "beat" because those that buy them can not much afford to maintain them. Or cars you do not have to worry about thrashing on rough roads or in city traffic.

How do the "Sh*t Box" rules work? You want to keep it for low cost cars, and allow some cheap DIY mods. But you want to keep those with deep pockets from showing up with new, professionally prepared cars to blow about the junkers just for fun. Nothing newer than 20 years old? No new parts except tires, spark plugs, filters and fluids? some similar rules have the "claim it" rule, allows anyone to buy your car for $500, but that sucks if you put many hours into a cheap racer and someone just claims it from you. And it still does not provent someone from spending big bucks just to show off, and than come to the next race with another big buck car. I always thought a rule that allows "removal of any part, component or assembly, but not replaced with something else". Allows you strip a car, do mods to it with stock parts, but not spend a lot of money on race car parts.

common guys, looking for ideas here.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

The shitbox rally from what I can tell is not so much a race as fundraising event so the competitive nature is toned down a bit so it turns into more of an endurance event where people help each other just get through it. (like the tercel towards the end of the video). I think they have raised over $5.4 million Aus over the last five years or so which is amazing.

There was a similar rally in europe that went to africa and at the end the surviving cars were auctioned off to local people with the profits going back to the community as well. Plus some cars carried things like surplus medical equipment for the African communities.
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

What's wrong with Shitbox Rally North America? Give credit where credit is due, and keep with the spirit of the Rally. Make it a benefit for the American Cancer Society and other Cancer Research funds, use similar rules, change the route every year, get our friends from Canada and Mexico to join in on the fun. I think the 1.5 mil a year is small potatoes considering the kind of gear-head population and pop-culture we have in the states. I think this could be a big deal.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

"Great video. Well done Mad_Marx sounds like the Tercel has done 4 rallys? amazing. Any chance you are going to use it again next year?"

RE: Mattel, that's not my Tercel, I've never run it, I'm in the US, but I'd run my car if we could organize something like this in the US. I even have a crew ready to run with me :)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

Sorry Mad_Marx, I got confused as I think Stinky Fish? or one of the owners was on here once as a member. They have two Tercels running I believe. The 2016 Rally goes past my city. would be great to be involved thats for sure but I have just started a new Grad job. thanks for posting anyway!