My new to me 87 sr5

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
ib6ub9
My tercel:: 1987

My new to me 87 sr5

Post by ib6ub9 »

Hi All

Just thought I would post pics of my 87 SR5 with 255,000 kms. As DCN can tell ya that's pretty good for Nova Scotia air. I've been cruising the site for a while and joined a while back. This car was bought by may father in law new and very well maintained by him. Hopefully I will do the same although I've been known to be a little hard on gear.

cheers
ib6ub9

Re: My new to me 87 sr5

Post by ib6ub9 »

hmm I guess I didn't get the whole picture. Digital crap and puters aren't my cup of tea.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the list!

Very nice looking Tercel. Keep that nice baby away for the road salt!

BTW, those seat pattern and the side front marking light indicate it is a model year 1986, or are the Nova Scotia versions running a year behind?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ib6ub9

Post by ib6ub9 »

Just checking to see who's paying attention. The seats are original to the car, the front end however was changed when the mother in law had a little fender bender. The father in-law was almost happy cause he hated those 87 headlights.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome! NICE car!
Just rain and no salty roads in NS?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ib6ub9

Post by ib6ub9 »

No there's lots of salt and the salt air in Nova Scotia. Old toyotas rusted nicely here. The only way to keep them is oil undercoat/ rustcheck or whatever and lots of TLC
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

looks great. i really like it, even the rims. i have the same rims and used to hate them but i flat blacked them and am putting winter tires on them tomorrow, hopefully. i'll post pics when i put the rims on the car. i think they look wayyyyy sweeter in black.
ib6ub9

Post by ib6ub9 »

I'd like to see them in black. Not sure if they would look right on this though with the color combo, I never really like these wheels. so I'm keeping an eye out for something else so I can at least have summer and winter wheels
cheers
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i have a history with these rims. i used to own a '91 tercel coupe back before i cared about cars, and it had the same rims. i thought they were ******* ugly at the time but didn't realize you could BUY NEW RIMS. so i drove the thing for about 5 years, hating the wheels every day. aeons passed, i bought this car, and sure enough it had the same gross rims. they suited this one more though and i was alright with them but was happy when i got my current all-season rims. once i put the all-seasons on, i figured i had nothing to lose and gave the old uglies a quick scuff and spray and i was instantly sold on them. i agree that they might not work in black on your whip and even like them just as they are with your colour scheme but here are some pics of mine anyway, in case you or anyone else considers painting them too.

that's obviously a spirit by the front tire in the first pic, not light reflecting off the rain.

ib6ub9

Post by ib6ub9 »

I don't think the black rime would look right with my colours. I gotta find something different like DCN's dad has on his.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

agreed. do you have any pics of DCN's dad's wheels? i'm curious now.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

If you've not seen dcn's car (or his Dad's), take a few minutes and watch...
I could not get a couple pix of his Dad's car to load - little "Xs" in their stead:
http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... f=8&t=2743
and:
http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... f=8&t=2653
This has a BUNCH of his photos - and you MUST wait until the shot of his wheel loads! Note the reflection of the polish tin's lid...:
http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... 361#p10361
Sigh...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ib6ub9

Post by ib6ub9 »

I first met DCN's dad about 1988 or so. He had that Celica back than, raced it actually at the same time I raced the 1977 corolla that is in the background in my picture. He first saw my Corolla came right over and said what the hell you got in that, and we've talked off and on for years since usually at the drags. I can remember when he cleaned the GTS wheels and used Nissan silver mist do the silver parts. That Celica was almost to nice to paint at the time but he did. I don't think I've seen it live since the paint jpb. He dosen't drive it enough(dig). I've passed him on the road over the years many times in that old terc. He usually saw me coming and had the smile on when I went by. You can't find much of a better Toyota lover than him that's for sure. He's like a dictionary when it comes to Celica's ,Terc4WD,75-79 Corolla and even swapping 350's into Vega's as I found out last year.

I tend to burn the guts outta stuff I own and don't go that extra step in the cleaning department, not that I don't know how, just so little time so many things to do.
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Ha! I just saw this thread now, another member from NS? Someone shoulda sent me a PM!

I assume this is Danny, right?

Also you're not saying the Celica's painted are ya?
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Way to take over this thread DLB. That paint job is too sweet. I can just imagine the looks you get, and the challenges. Winter's nearly here. T4 race season is about to begin!

Anyway, nice one ib6ub9.