Replacing input shaft bearing (the one inside tranny)

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Replacing input shaft bearing (the one inside tranny)

Post by xirdneh »

I tried replacing the inner input shaft bearing on dead tranny just to see if it could be done without tearing the whole tranny apart. I know someone who did it years ago but he does not remember exactly how he did it.
i got it done and it was not difficult. See below for pictures and notes
here is a quick rundown
remove fifth gear shift fork and gear assy
remove two bearing retainers and idler shaft retainer
now case will seperate (tap bearings and idler into tranny about 1/4 inch)
with case seperated the big gear that input shaft drives is moved back about 1/4" so input bearing will clear
press bearing out (had to make some gadgets for that)
press new bearing in (had to make some more gadgets for that)
Last edited by xirdneh on Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: On replacing input shaft bearing (the one inside tranny)

Post by dlb »

fantastic! looking forward to the write up. super useful info.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Great!!!!

I have a good idea that I will be needing to utilize the write up soon as the weather clears up.
Do you still have the part # for the beraing
hikersteve
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 84 sr5 manual

Post by hikersteve »

Awesome!

i was just thinkin if i my old tranny was rebuildable or not. This gives me some hope and great info
thanks steve
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

i can always mail a CD with picts and info
i also have picts on taking tranny apart piece by piece
i am having trouble uploading to this web site
until i get it figured out?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

Replacing INPUT SHAFT bearing
(the small roller bearing inside the tranny marked VP34-2 and RNU070614)
Bearing by my dial caliper 2.282” Dia Outside, 1.339 Dia Inside, .549” thick
The only bearing I have found online so far is VP34-1 (http://www.noc.ua)
at 2.2835” (58mm) 1.3386” (34mm) .5118 (13mm)
looks like it might work
If your tranny is noisy while car is sitting still idling, push in the clutch, if the noise stops its probably the small input shaft bearing inside the tranny. This bearing is at the highest point of the tranny and the first to lose oil if the tranny has bad output shaft seals allowing the oil to leak out.
1. First three pictures show front of 1982-84(early) vs 85-88(late) types of transmissions. Obvious difference is steel shift forks (early) and aluminum forks (late).
2. Inputbearing.1 thru 4 show the bearing location, with input shaft removed, backside.
3. Inputbearing.5 thru 8 show what has to be removed from front of tranny in order to get the case to separate 1/4" (could probably get by with 3/16” gap). Remove fifth gear assy including shift fork, remove two bearing retainers, remove idler shaft retainer plate then tap bearing shaft and idler shaft into tranny so case will move forward. Picture 7 shows everything removed.
4. Inputbearing.9 shows 12mm bolt that can be removed with wrench thru 1/4" gap. Use magnet on stick to keep bolt and its retainer from dropping into tranny. Also note how the large gear is pulled back away from bearing, making room to get the bearing out.
5. Inputbearing.10 thru 14 show how to press the bearing out using a plate and a 1” long piece of 1-1/2 galv pipe (1.9 Outside diameter). Note : the bearing does not have much metal showing so the short piece of pipe must fit snuggly into the hole to catch as much of the bearing surface as possible or the bearing may be damaged.
6. Inputbearing.15 thru 21 show how to get the new bearing installed. 15 and 16 show the special tool I made for holding the bearing and pressing it into place. (2-2.08 dia outside, protrusion 1.33 dia x .42 long) One side of the tool has to be dished out to clear the big gear (I used a large grinder). Note 1/4" thick spacer (one on each side of tranny) in picture 17 and 18 along with the bolts to hold the gap( I used 3” long 5/16 bolts). The plate has two 5-1/2” long 5/16 bolts passing all the way thru and one long 12mm on bottom left in trannys threaded hole. Tighten evenly and keep an eye on the bearing to make sure it does not begin to go in crooked.
7. Inputbearing.22 After removing all the installation stuff gently tap the case back together. NOTE: before doing this check the gasket for damage. If so, use some gasket maker to patch it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by xirdneh on Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

Continue replacing shaft bearing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Great Pix!
Now a sticky!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
KZ750
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel sr5 4wd

Re: Replacing input shaft bearing (the one inside tranny)

Post by KZ750 »

Thank you so much for this write up. I used this method to get a 1/4" gap so I could lay a bead of RTV and re-seal the tranny.
But, I now can't get the transmission to shift out of gear. It literally won't budge and I'm afraid that forcing it wouldn't be a good idea.
I removed the transmission while it was still in gear. I also have not installed the transmission yet. it's just sitting on the floor still.
I tried turning the inputs and outputs hoping that it would free up a bind. no luck. Any ideas?
KZ750
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel sr5 4wd

Post by KZ750 »

Special Note 9: When tranny is being moved around or being installed, be aware of the problem that can be caused if the No3 (lower) Shift Fork Shaft gets moved. The shaft sticks out the front of the tranny and has the 5th gear Shift Fork attached to it. If the tranny is in neutral or reverse the shaft can be moved towards the tranny about 3/8” and if it does get moved it will lock up the tranny making it impossible to shift. This problem can be corrected by pulling the shaft back out. If the tranny got installed in the car the rear tranny mount will have to be disconnected so tranny can be lowered enough to get at the 17mm Plug on the top right side of the tranny, located just in front of the 4 bolt cover plate (about 3” x 3” sq). 17mm Plug can be tight. Insert screwdriver in hole and push forward to move Reverse Idle Gear forward. Another way to prevent this is to put tranny in 1st, 2nd, 3rd,4thor 5th gear before moving it around or installing it. Today I finished assembling a tranny and the shift shaft would not move forward enough to install the Select Lever (TA-53 58-1, I removed the 17mm Plug and pushed the gear forward. That fixed it.
Just found this. I'll try it tomorrow in the morning.fingers crossed.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

The ends of the Shift Fork Shafts at front of front face removed tranny
Neutral Position : The #1 (top) & #2 (mid) are nearly flush #3 (bot) is protruding 3.5625” (or center of shift fork is 1.875 from face)
Movement of various Shafts while others STAY at Neutral position
First Gear: The #1 (top) Shift Fork Shaft is moved Aft (.32” from face)
Second Gear: The #1 (top) Shift Fork Shaft is moved Forward (.395” from face)
Third Gear: The #2 (mid) Shift Fork Shaft is moved Aft (.32” from face)
Fourth Gear: The #2 (mid) Shift Fork Shaft is moved Forward (.395” from face)
Fifth Gear: The #3 (bot) Shift Fork Shaft is moved Aft (Shaft protruding 3.1875”) (or center of shift fork is 1.437” from face)
Reverse Gear: The #3 (bot) Shift Fork Shaft is moved Forward (Shaft protruding 4”) (or center of shift fork is 2.25” from face)