seat and upholstery (seat cover) removal

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Re: seat and upholstery (seat cover) removal

Post by Mad_Marx »

There's noting quite like waking up to a voicemail from Scotland....

I finalized design details and specs on Terc II Reproduction Blue Upholstery. The fabric will be a 16 oz. Worsted Wool plaid, color matched and size matched to the OEM plaid. The 16 oz wool is a finer/smoother fabric than the original Toyota textile, it's more akin to what was installed in Porsche and Mercedes interiors in the 70's. But aside from the texture, the factory assures me it will match the original Toyota spec in every other way. It will also be stain guarded from the production mill, something Toyota didn't do... It will be 16" wide with Blue index lines exactly like the OEM. Quantity will be extremely limited. Final price for members only will be $75.00 per linear yard, at this price I am not making a profit on the material. I won't have the fabric until June, but it's in the production stage now, and will be a registered Tartan so we can all geek out about it for the rest of time :)

Details to follow.

M_M
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

It's here in all it's custom died and woven glory!!!! Tercel Plaid back from the brink of extinction!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

Once I have enough for my car and Bryan Thompson's project. The remainder of the fabric will be up for sale. The fabric will be sold in 30 cm wide linear yards. Final price is $125 per linear yard, unfortunately higher than I wanted, but I got hit with import Duties and Taxes to get it into the country from Scotland. Please send a PM if you are interested.

M_M
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

Here are some better shots of the new Plaid. In the close ups you will see the weave is much tighter. The colors and size of the squares in the plaid pattern are an exact match. I'm really looking forward to seeing this in some cars!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

It took me a year to have the plaid made, and another year to find the correct matching solid colors of cloth and vinyl. I’m making progress. Getting ready to order carpet from Australia, prepping buckets for seat heaters and new custom reproduction plaid. More to follow.

M_M
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

when I rebuilt my seats I am going to add more support (padding) in the lumbar area, and under the thigh (near the front edge of the lower cushion). Both of these should improve comfort for long distance driving, preventing a soar back and a rear end without any feeling. Both of which occur on long drives.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

Yep, I was planning on adding those exact mods for the new seats:).
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

This thread was very helpful for repairing the upholstery on my driver's seat. I found out you can simply swap the seat backs and seat pans between the sliders and hinges, making it REALLY quick and easy to swap a nice condition passenger's side seat onto the driver's side.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

Posting here cause I want to follow any future updates.

I'm also curious...anyone adding foam to the seats...how are you doing that?
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have added foam to firm it up. easiest is to add a full thin layer on the back side of the main cushion, like a 1/4" sheet. when the foam is broken down and crumbling away, I have attempted to cut it out on a flat plane, than glue in a block to replace the damaged foam. than I take a coarse belt sander to it to carefully get the shape correct.

I have been meaning to completely rebuild the drivers seat with extra firm foam, perhaps adding to the lumbar area, under the thigh area, and elsewhere additional support would be desirable, by adding thin layers, trimmed to maintain the curved shapes. But I have not gone that far yet, it is just an idea I want to try to improve seat fit and comfort.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)