Brake Up-grades MR2 Parts Vented Rotors Corolla Spacer Figs

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Brake Up-grades MR2 Parts Vented Rotors Corolla Spacer F

Post by Petros »

synth, I think you misunderstand, he found a combo that actually fits without a spacer. all of the shear force goes thought the studs no matter if you use a spacer or not, the studs are what keep the rotor from turning on the hub. without them the rotor would stop turning while the car keeps moving.

I think the worse issue with the larger rotor and caliper is it changes the front to rear braking balance, putting more to the front. This would mean the front would lock up first, maybe not so bad, but not optimum braking either. could use an adjustable proportioning valve to work up to optimum braking, mount it where you can reach the adjustment and you can "tune" it for wet roads, or gravel roads, as you drive from one condition to the next. This is often done on race cars.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

No, no-misunderstanding. I've seen it happen quite a few times. Mostly on Hondas when people up rotor size. If you remember Petros, I broke a few studs myself even when we were first playing with combo for brake upgrades a few years ago.
Seriously, there's a reason why rotors are hubcentric and require effort to be pressed off under factory specifications.
Just giving warning.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
entrax
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd

Post by entrax »

i don't see why hubcentric rings would cause any issues. the only concern would be the rings need to be the same thickness as the rotor hat to avoid altering the hub bore of where the wheel mounts on. iirc the mentioned rotors are 57.1mm bore, so a 54.1mm adapter should do the job just fine.
My Toys

The Cruiser - 91 MR2 Turbo
The Girlfriend's - 86 MR2
The Winter Beast - 87 T4wd SR5
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Re: Brake Up-grades

Post by lannvouivre »

Petros wrote:If you switch to the heavy duty 2" dia struts from the Corolla All-trac
Can you please give more details? I'm having trouble finding new ones. Also, it's mentioned in the FAQ that if you get the T-bird rear shocks, you need to retain the bushings from the Tercel. Can I possibly get new bushings, or are they not rubber like I'm expecting them to be? Heck, I might even be able to get some from Energy Suspension if I can get dimensions.

I think I'm probably going to upgrade the brakes and then later do the master cylinder and booster for the white tercel.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Brake Up-grades MR2 Parts Vented Rotors Corolla Spacer Figs

Post by Petros »

you either have to find an after market supplier of rebuilt all-trac struts, or find a set in a wrecking yard and than replace the inserts yourself. You will have to switch out the top mount with the Tercel mount, and either oversize the holes in the steering knuckle (where the new strut will mount) or find some adapter "hat" washers allowing you to use 10mm shank bolts to mount the lower end of the strut which was designed for 12mm shank bolts.

the lower rear shock mount is all rubber on the Tercel (and you likely could find aftermarket eurethane ones), the stock t-bird rear shocks has a rubber mount with a metal sleeve through it. so you have remove the one with the metal sleeve and install the rubber bushing that works on the Tercel lower mount.

There might be a longer shock available with the correct end on it, it is just that Barto found the t-bird shock will work if you switch out the lower bushing.

There is no reason to do the master/booster swap at the same time as the vented disk and caliper swap. Each of these can be done separately.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Do I need the ones from the AWD or the FWD? What year All-trac?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

only the AWD all-track has the larger dia strut. the also came in the celica and corolla GTS ('88 and later), but those are even more rare than the all-trac.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Thanks for the info. I think I may be able to get the front shock assemblies from the Celica from a seller on ebay. Do the specifically need to be the GTS trim between 88 and 89? Would the ones for the GT-Four possibly work? Because, ironically, I can find those. http://www.rhdjapan.com/kyb-new-sr-spec ... 185-h.html
cbart45
My tercel:: 1987 Wagon 4x4

Post by cbart45 »

HELP!!!!
I have an 87. Stock tires and wheels.

I have just completed the brake upgrade; MR2 Booster, New MR2 Master Cylinder. I rebuilt and installed the MR2 Calipers. Got the 92 vented rotors. Made the 1/8" aluminum shims. New pads.
I am having a couple of issues I could really use some help with. First, when the install was all done, the pads were dragging on the rotors. Barely on the left side but rubbing pretty good on the right. Is that normal?

None the less, I took it for a test drive in front of my house just to see how the new brakes would work. Didn't go over 10mph. They don't work very well at all. Can't lock them up. At 10 mph if I push the peddle as hard as I can, It rolls to a stop in about 15 feet. The peddle doesn't really feel mushy but could that be a symptom of there still being some air in the system?

So to recap, I have two Questions:

Is it normal for the pads to be dragging a little?
What can I start looking at to make the brakes start to work better?

Thank you!!!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

sounds like air still in the system, should be bled some more to get it all out.

Also, it is normal for the pads to drag a little. Disk brakes require the pads to be in contact with the rotors or the pedal will go to the floor. Even if it is a bit tight, wear will fairly quickly free it up. It should not be so tight that you can not rotate it by hand when the wheel is off the ground, but you should hear or feel a bit of drag when you turn them.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

bleed the whole system, both front and rear. Start with the rear wheels, than bleed the passenger side front, than the drivers side front. make sure the reservoir always has fluid in it or you will suck air into the master, and you will have to start over again.

Also, bench bleed the master before you start.
cbart45

Post by cbart45 »

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

I will bleed it again tomorrow. I did bench bleed the new master cylinder before I installed it today. Hopefully just some air in the system that I missed when I bled it today. I'll let you know how it turns out. :D
cbart45

Post by cbart45 »

Didn't have time to work on the brakes yesterday so I bled them today. Success! That did the trick! Working great now! Thank you so much for the great write up and the help at the end. Now I just need to figure out the noise that has been coming from my driver side front end for the last several months. Wheel bearing, CV joint or axle? Going to search now to see if I can sort it out.

Thanks again!
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

So I realized after the fact when looking at my 4Runner that the brake reservoir cap was the exact size needed for the MR2 master cylinder and has the correct plug on it already.

So any early pickup cap should work. Pre 95' I would guess
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

swapping the connector is not so difficult either, but if you have access to the cap with the matching connector it would save the effort.

I felt lucky to find mine, knowing the early forerunner and truck one would likely fit is a great find too. I suspect that large round connector was only used pre 1988, but all are worth a look if you are in the wrecking yard.