Brake Up-grades MR2 Parts Vented Rotors Corolla Spacer Figs

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Corolla Brake Upgrade Spacer Tech Drawing.

Post by Petros »

Nice work, I printed it out and will keep a hard copy with my service manual so I will have it for the next Tercel I upgrade.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dirklc
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

Re: Brake Up-grades MR2 Parts Vented Rotors Corolla Spacer F

Post by dirklc »

I am headed to the local pull & pay this weekend to grab the calipers, master cyl, and other MR2 components from Petros parts list. Couple questions:

Is there anything else I should grab off a 1986 MR2? I assume the MR2 is the way to go (and Petros has such a great description) but I could grab caliper/cyl. off another vehicle if there were any advantages.

Are there any vented rotors that will work without the spacers? The spacers look straightforward but - if someone has come across rotors that work w/out the spacer - then I would go that route.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
1984 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 Range Rover
1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
1995 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

You will need vented rotors off the '92 or newer TErcel (some models have unvented rotors). These require the smallest spacer, I could not find anything that did not need any spacer, I tried them all. You could use the calipers off these cars ('92+ tercel) instead of the MR2 caliper, they are almost the same, just find the ones in the best condition. You will also want the brake flex hose off the MR2 and the hollow bolt and copper washers for the banjo fitting.

The upper strut mounts in the front suspension of the MR2 are better than the Tercel upper strut mount, and about half inch lower profile, and perfectly interchangeable. I like the MR2 seats in my TErcel, but it takes some messing with the mounts to get them in, but size wise they fit perfectly in the Tercel. The MR2 steering wheel is nice too. I have an MR2 instrument cluster I intend to mount in my TErcel, it looks similar but has oil pressure gauge and volt meter, as well as the tach, speedo and water temp gauge. It will take some messing with the wiring to get it to work, some alterations on how it mounts, and a new oil pressure sender, but everything can be made to work on it.

Good luck.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Petros wrote: I have an MR2 instrument cluster I intend to mount in my TErcel, it looks similar but has oil pressure gauge and volt meter, as well as the tach, speedo and water temp gauge. It will take some messing with the wiring to get it to work, some alterations on how it mounts, and a new oil pressure sender, but everything can be made to work on it.
OT i know but why not just add some aftermarket oil pressure and volt meter gauges? probably less work and would be just as cool and useful.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Yes I have some in mine, the problem is the Stock dash has no good place to add gauges without cutting it all up (and I like the look of the stock dash). I thought it would be cool to have something that looks factory, but has full instruments. No alteration to the dash is required at all. It is my plan to create a "Tercel4wd twin-cam GTS", what the factory should have offered.
dirklc

Post by dirklc »

The upper strut mounts in the front suspension of the MR2 are better than the Tercel upper strut mount, and about half inch lower profile, and perfectly interchangeable.
Thanks again for the advice, Petros. Just to clarify, when you say the MR2 mounts have a 1/2" lower profile do you mean it will lower the vehicle 1/2" in the front? My old solid axle land rover has coil springs all round - I've got to read up on independent suspension!
1984 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 Range Rover
1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
1995 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

yes, the MR2 mounts will lower the the front end by 1/2".
dirklc

Post by dirklc »

The '86 MR2 at the local yard has what appears to be new front struts. I ran out of time today after grabbing the master cylinder, power booster, and steering wheel but I'll go back this week for the strut mounts and calipers. Should I grab the front struts along with the mounts? Looks like they are larger diameter than our T4WD struts. I read about the all-trac struts but I doubt I will see one of these in the pull & part anytime soon.
1984 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 Range Rover
1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
1995 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

front struts are totally different. You might make them work if you want to lower the front about 4" and you want make your Tercel RWD, the front knuckle has no provisions for a drive axle, and the strut housing would block the ability to install an axle anyway.

The front calipers will fit on the tercel once you get vented rotors off a '92 or newer Tercel, the MR2 rotors could be made to work but you will need a thicker spacer and longer wheels studs (not worth it). The rear MR2 struts might be made to work in the front of the Tercel, much larger dia. But you have to change the spring (way too stiff) and the hat. I have not tried the fit, but it appears to be a real heavy duty strut about the right length.

The front struts off a Celica GTS ('88-94?) are the same off the all-trac. These are actually more common.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Found a fun bit today.
85 Celica GTS 2 DR hatch has the same diameter master cylinder cap as the AW11 brake master reservoir and also the same plug configuration as the factory tercel harness. No more splicing to make the low fluid plug work.
IMG_0012.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4wd, jeep cherokee front springs in rear, cut fenders, mr2 booster, gauge swap for tach, Suzuki Katana 600 Carbs, 330,000 miles and ticking (literally)

Post by PrescottAZ »

Wow I am impressed with that find. Not that the wiring is that difficult. Took me a couple of minutes.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Yeah, rewiring it wasn't a big deal.... But I like the factory look sooo much better.

Now that I know what's need, I'm going to try and stock up for some of the forum members.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
SirNik83
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD, Custom Paint Job, MR2 Wheels, Pistol Grip Shifter

Post by SirNik83 »

Went to the pick n pull today and got me an mr2 master cyl and brake booster. got it home and saw some seapage from between the master cylinder and the booster, so i decided to take the master cyl apart. Inside the master cyl there are some really nice anodized aluminum pistons. it was filled with crud when i took it apart. I looked at all the seals and they look like their in great shape so I'm thinking the crud is what was making the seals seap. Here are some pictures of the insides of the master cyl and them getting cleaned.
Full of crud.

Clean and shiney

put the old rubber seals back on, these actully look great for being 26 years old.
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
SirNik83
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD, Custom Paint Job, MR2 Wheels, Pistol Grip Shifter

Post by SirNik83 »

I rigged up the master cyl body and filled it with B12 to clean up the crud suck in it.
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

sometimes you get corrosion on the master cyl. walls, take some 800 grit wet and dry paper wrapped around a dowel and clean up the bore. Polish until all of the pits and stains are gone. clean with solvent, and than with clean brake fluid until all the grit is gone. If the seals are good you can reused them, the polished bore will make a better seal. The seals should have a sharp shoulder on them, if not you should replace them. If you can find the seal kit they usually do not cost much, but now a days they usually only sell rebuilt master cylinders complete for big bucks, rather than just a few $ for a seal kit.

good luck