Reworked Tranny Mount

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Reworked Tranny Mount

Post by Jonymoto »

This year I replaced my engine mounts and wanted to do the same with my tranny mount. Unfortunately I had a lot of trouble finding one locally. So I ordered a couple from Rock Auto. The ones I received were for the 2WD Tercel as they were wrongly labelled. The mount shown at the top of the 2nd photo is the 4WD version and the bottom one is the 2WD. Rock Auto agreed to take the 2WD mounts back and replace them, but the 4WD mount is out of stock and has been for a long time. So I modified the 2 mounts and combined them as shown in the top photo. This means that the tranny will now sit 5mm higher, but I don't think that will be a problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Reworked Tranny Mount

Post by BaileySims »

Great work but damn, I've been searching for a trans mount for the better part of a year. Might just have to pay you to make me one!
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

If I was in the States or you in Australia, I would do it for nothing to help another Tercel owner.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

For what it is worth...in North America, at least, the MT trans mount is still available, but (obviously) not from RA :(
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6478&p=48215&hilit=mounts#p48215
PROPS on your resolution!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is really excellent work, and cleaver thinking. I had also thought about filling the voids in the rubber mount with polyurethane goo that you can buy in a tube, so it stiffens and presumably strengthens the mount. this would make it like a "racing mount", stiff but stronger.

realistically the motor and trans mounts are pretty durable already, but are more sustainable if you drive rough roads where it puts much more loads on the mounts. I just replaced my first motor mount this year, at about 380k miles, over half of that on rough gravel roads. And it appears the rear one on the trans might be bad too, I get to that when I replace the clutch soon, perhaps this saturday.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Bailey: Come on down to Waco, I'll make you one like that ;)
When I swapped in the 4AFE at ~220k, mine was definitely completely separated, although rock auto still had the right ones in stock. Must have been lucky.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Every time I hear that I think it's real close to me. I always get Waco and hueco confused. I'm pretty close to hueco and waco is quite a distance. Maybe in the summer if I can convince my wife to take a road trip out that way but she's been wanting to go to California to see her family. It would be great to take the tercel out there just to say I did it. The wife thinks this car is quite incapable of anything.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

BaileySims wrote:The wife thinks this car is quite incapable of anything.
HAW!
She must be related to my daughter, my grandkids, and all of my high school and college buddies who see Goldie regularly.
I drive her to all of my HS foot/basketball games, and when the kids see her, they invariably ask how old she is. When I tell them "31 years," their eyes just get wide, and you see them doing the math: "OMG, that car is twice as old as I am!"
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

My wife is the same. She wouldn't drive it anymore - "it has no airbags, no traction control, no ABS, no proper crumble zones" she would say. As if she would know what these are.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it does have crumple zones, and actual has a stronger chassis than the mostly plastic modern cars. I do not consider having an explosive device going off in your face (or my children's face) an improvement in safety. malfunctions of air bags cause as many deaths and injuries as they save, all newer airbags are required to have a disable switch, even though you have to buy the airbag anyway. It was a con job and a case of crony capitalism where the inventor paid off enough lawmakers to force us to buy them. No thanks. IF they really improved safety they would be required equipment in racing cars, but you will never see it.

Alas, my wife and daughters are embarrassed to be seen in my Tercel (I know they snicker about it behind my back). It has outlasted all the cars they drive, my oldest is now 28 (on her third car since high school), I used to take her to elementary school in my Tercel4wd every morning.

One time after a deep snow, my Tercel was the only thing going in and out of our steep roads. after four days of being snow bound, my wife drove into town with me to get supplies, when we returned my wife said "this is not such a bad little car, you should fix it up". As soon as the snow melted, she refused to get in it again however.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

So many stories of our loved ones refusing to offer the respect that our little cars have truely earned. My wife just drove my Tercel last night to an event because snow was predicted in the forecast. We did end up getting snow and she needed to drive through it up some very steep hills. The Tercel of course brought her home safely but I'm sure no further respect has been earned.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]