Vacuum Advance Issue

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Re: Vacuum Advance Issue

Post by Jonymoto »

Mark, what I meant was - if I wanted to I could install a tee in the line from the gas filter and K. From memory both ports on the gas filter already have tubes connected to them, one presumably to K.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

I connected the dizzy to the manifold and carbie as you both suggested and the timing does change by about 8 deg when the engine is idling. I took it for a drive. It definitely has better acceleration, is smoother and feels more like it did when it was new. Thank you very much for your help.

I do have another question. My Tercel is equipped with some sort of temp activated valve on top of the rocker cover which I haven't seen on any other Tercel or 4ac engine. My previous 3ac dizzy with single port vacuum advance was connected to one outlet of this valve. Another outlet was connected to the port on the carbie nearest the idle speed screw. I wish I could show you a photo of it but I don't know how to load photos yet. I think it was meant to prevent vacuum to the carbie until the engine had warmed up. Would it be a good idea to connect the carbie to the dizzy via this valve again?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

sorry jonymoto, i have no idea what sort of temp-activated valve on top the the valve cover you're talking about. on tercels over here, there is no similar device -- the dizzy gets vacuum advance at all temps. so i think it's probably fine both to leave it as it is right now, or to reconnect the lower vac advance port to that temp switch.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Thanks dlb. I will leave it as it is, i.e. bypassing the temp switch. Thank you very much for all your help.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

no worries, glad to help.
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Post by GLet71 »

Hey Jonymoto,

Any chance that Aussie Tercel of yours is sporting over the shoulder seat belts for the back seat? I would love to see some photos if you do, because I am currently trying to install some in my '87. I've started the project on one of my parts cars, and I can't help notice that all the holes are there for me make it work. The problem is having the correct seat belt hardware, so any pics would be of service.

Sorry for highjacking the thread.
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

greg, i posted one photo of the stock rear shoulder seat belts. it's the 5th pic down in this post

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9426&hilit=project#p68414

it was a weird system because they were really just sort of an addition to the regular lap belt. IIRC, the lower end of the shoulder belt had a plate that locked into the female end of the lap belt. you can see the locking plate in the pic i linked to. i wish i could tell you more beyond that but i never paid much attention to them, and i sold that car long ago.
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Post by GLet71 »

I was having a flashback thought like this one you've shown here. I remember having an old Dodge Dart that had a similar 'lock on' shoulder strap like this, and wondered whether I could retrofit something onto Ron.
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

unless you want to have "original" toyota parts, it would not be that difficult to adapt aftermarket seat belts with shoulder belts for the rear. find something out of a wrecking yard about the right color and fabricate a bracket to make it make it work.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)