Rear Hatch Cover, simple way of making one

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Rear Hatch Cover, simple way of making one

Post by xirdneh »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by xirdneh on Sun May 06, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: Rear Hatch Cover, simple way of making one

Post by Gottolovem »

And he does it again yet another sticky perhaps?

If I may add one thing, I spent over 20 years of my life as a professional picture framer and have glued hundreds if not thousands of fabrics. The high strength version of super 77 spray will hold up much longer to the elements uv light and repetitive heat cycles to be more specific :oldgeek:

Thanks for all your hard work Xirdneh :mrgreen:
Teecee
My tercel:: 2000 tercel

Post by Teecee »

great info on this one
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Amazing. I'll have to show this to my wife so she could redo the one she made me earlier this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

nice job bob,

I have been meaning to do the same thing with mine, the original sawdust board is all beat up and falling apart. though I often find the cargo cover a nuisance, being able to cover my tools and other gear in the back has become more important to keep homeless and weakeners from breaking in to steel something they see.

I was thinking of using imported marine plywood and add a few more stringers to the under side. That should make it light and still strong enough to hold cargo. Your 1/4" AC plywood should be plenty strong to hold cargo, though a bit heaiver. That steel dowel might split out the end grain of the wood/ before it was glued to the plywood, I would have tightly wrapped some polyester thread around the end of the wood, and coated it with glue, that will add a lot of strength to prevent the end grain splitting out on the stringer.

domestic marine plywood is pretty costly, but the 3mm imported stuff you can find for less cost than 1/4" ac plywood. It is much stronger with far less voids, and high quality marine grade glue. I have found it on sale at boat suppliers for as little as $16 a sheet, these are "special purchase" lots, usually with irregular visual surface sheets (not as pretty as the high quality and more costly marine plwyood). regular cost is about $45 a 4x8 sheet, domestic 1/8" marine plywood is closer to $90 a sheet, and not really necessary for this kind of project. Whenever I run across the "special purchase" $16 a sheet marine grade plywood, I always get 5 to 10 sheets (they hardly take any room to store) for future projects (even without one in mind). Typically I will find enough projects to use it on where I end up short of it before I can replace it. $16 a sheet is less than crappy particle board (glue and saw dust). I have a number of large scraps, and I think 3 full sheets i was thinking about building a sit-on-top stitch and glue sea kayak with (with all that spare time I not know what to do with).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

the okume 3/16 thick plywood would be great. i used the cheap 1/4 Lowes plywood because because no one sells the 3/16 okume around here
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

edensaw woods in Port Townsend, not far from you has it in stock. That is where I got the 3 and 4 mm "special purchase" imported plywood, but they do not always have in stock at that price. It just shows up when ever they can get a good price on it. I suspect it is rejected stock from a major Asian supplier, at close out prices. I suspect it does not meet consistant cosmetic quality on the outside layers, but for everything I build, it is great looking plywood, far better than anything else at that price. I always find lots of uses for it.

A note of caution about plywood: the big box stores sell this low budget 4 mm plywood "interior grade" for less than $20 a sheet. It is not bad looking, but It does not have exterior grade glue in it, it is just low quality filler with decent looking very thin veneers on the outside. It can be used, but it is not very durable, it does not hold screws very well, and will eventually fall apart if you live in a damp or humid area. I have used it to make signs and patterns, and other temporary uses.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
johnemc
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel wagon 4wd

Post by johnemc »

That's an awesome diagram! unfortunately for me, I didn't know about the diagram when I started trying to make one lol. But what I did do turned out pretty well. I completely disassembled the broken and torn original one. after that I used painters tape on one side while I used a/b epoxy along with some fiberglass matt to strengthen the tears and breaks.
Last edited by johnemc on Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey All,

I will make time to “sticky” the diagram post before long, great info.!!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain