KEEP your tranny alive! (what you should do)

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

KEEP your tranny alive! (what you should do)

Post by xirdneh »

another reminder to check the trans/diff oil level
in last 8 months i have collected 4 MELTED transmissions due to running with very low oil level
the seal/seals may only leak a little bit, but a little bit over a long time equals low oil

also if your tranny gets noisy in all 5 gears, its one of the two large bearings in the front of the tranny getting ready to fall apart
stop driving the car and get the tranny out before the bearing totally fails and wipes out the main drive gears
cost of new bearing is less than 50.00 and you can replace it yourself using youtube videos

if tranny is noisy while idleing in neutral but noise goes away when you push in clutch thats the inner Input shaft bearing
it needs to be replaced.

how to check tranny oil level
raise car enough to get under it (raise entire car so its level)
remove plug (24mm/15/16") tha 's located just aft of driver side CV axle (where it enters transaxle/tranny housing)
if oils runs out put plug back in, your OK
if no oil comes out insert a bent piece of wire into hole (try not to touch any thing inside tranny or you will get false reading)
when you pull wire out try to determine how far down the oil level is (kinda like a dipstick)
add oil until it overflows, let it rest for a while and add more till its filled up.

wipe down tranny around axles and rear drive line and 4wd shift lever (thats where the seals are)
drive car for a week and check for fresh oil leaks

seal part numbers
1.4wd lever seal part # "16x24x6" Timken (i ordered from Grainger)
2.rear driveline seal Orig equip # AH1904F
Beck/Arnley #052-3899 (all rubber) SKF #12745 steel shell (12560 is 10mm thk)
3.front axle seals Beck/Arnley #052-3521 National/Timkin # 223240, SKF #12754, (toyota 9031132006)
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: KEEP your tranny alive! (what you should do)

Post by Mattel »

I have bookmarked this subject.. Great work Xirdneh. Imagine how many Tercels would be kept alive and not gone to the crusher with this information!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Mattel wrote:I have bookmarked this subject.. Great work Xirdneh. Imagine how many Tercels would be kept alive and not gone to the crusher with this information!
Not just tercels! Every car line has suffered at the hands of their owners...

I don't think I have mentioned it yet this year- Synthetic gear oil!!!!!!!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I thought full synthetic in these transmissions made the seals leak? So a 50/50 mix worked better?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

irowiki wrote:I thought full synthetic in these transmissions made the seals leak? So a 50/50 mix worked better?
if you already have leaks or marginal seals, synthetic will exacerbate them but if the seals are good, they will not leak.
Elika
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Post by Elika »

My transmission went out and I'm waiting to find out if it's repairable, the wait is killing me. I heard a rumor that there are other toyota transmissions that will bolt onto the 4x4 motor with little effort, is there any truth to this?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

For 83-88 4wd there are no other tranny's that will work
As far as I know
What was your tranny doing or not doing?
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.