Carburetor disassemble and assemble video

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Carburetor disassemble and assemble video

Post by xirdneh »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCzFuPqssfE

carburetor take apart & put back together also remove and install
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Carburetor disassemble and assemble video

Post by dlb »

rob, you're the man. yet another great vid.
fffutr
My tercel:: '87 Tercel 4WD

Post by fffutr »

Was hoping to put off a carb rebuild for a while but seeing as I'll be forced to address the horrible idle that just popped up, you have my huge thanks for putting this up. One question though, where can I get the rebuild kit?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

any parts place should be able to get the kit for you. they're usually about $40 here in north america.

i'm not sure if this will pertain to you in europe but over here, 87 is when toyota started making the 3rd generation of tercel. so when we order parts for an 87, a lot of people end up with something for a 3rd gen which is totally different from ours. to be safe, a lot of members with 87's order parts for an 86 so that they know they're getting stuff for the correct generation.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

rockauto.com has them
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The carbs do need to be rebuilt occasionally, but in most cases where I was told by the previous owner that their mechanic said it need a carb rebuilt or replaced (and why they were selling it cheap), I found it was a number of vacuum leaks, or misrouted vac lines, and/or badly out of adjustment. Once sorted out, and all linkage, adjustments, etc set properly, they drove perfectly well and no rebuild was required. Usually it is a mechanic unfamilar with carburetors and the complex vacuum system on these cars, and was trying to get the customer to go away (convince them to buy a newer car they are more familiar with).

So before you rebuild the carb, verify there is no vac leak, and all adjustments on the carb, linkage and ignition system is set properly. It is easy to blame the carb if you do not want to take the time to diagnose it properly. But if the problem is not in the carb, you will rebuild it and find it has the same problem, so you have to hunt down all possible vac leaks anyway. You might as well do it before you rebuild the carb.

BTW, rebuild the carb yourself if it does indeed need to be rebuilt. It is not that difficult, far less costly, and most of the purchased carbs I have found were carelessly rebuilt and had lots of problems, more work to sort out than if you had just rebuilt your own. I bought one car once with a "new" carb, ran like crap (I was driving it 1000 miles home after I bought it), so I swap out the remanufactured one on the road side, and put the old one back in it (which I got from the seller) to finish my trip home. The problem was not in the carb, the vac lines were all mixed around. The replacement carb was the wrong model for that year Tercel, it fit okay but half the vac ports were missing or in the wrong place, so it was never going to run properly.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Morganithor
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4wd

Post by Morganithor »

I looked far and wide on the internet to finally arrive at this destination. This entire FORUM is a GOLD MINE of information that's helped me REALLY get my 1983 Tercel running excellently, but when my car went down last month after replacing all the vacuum line I KNEW the carburetor was the issue. Sure enough, I found this video, took 12-16 hours of watching and re-watching and careful planning but I'll be gosh darned if it didn't work!

YOU SIR ARE A GOD SEND. Seriously, thank you VERY VERY VERY much for this INCREDIBLY useful video. I'm a car parts and maintenance amateur slooowly working his way into more intense things, but by going slow and following your step by step directions, my car is running AMAZINGLY well.

Just had to comment as a result of my success!

Thank you again,

Morgan.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

To Morgan, aka Morganithor:
You will find that there are many T4WD experts in the Club and of those, xirdneh is one of the pillars of the Club, esp. with his videos on various parts of our little guys!
There are many to be named, so I will not attempt.
We have all learned a lot from working on our (thankfully easy!) cars, and we post the procedures and results; some perhaps not as elaborate as xirdneh's, but nevertheless, much info is here!
Welcome to the Club!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum Morgan!

we are all here to help. start a new thread and tell us about your car, and how you came to own it. with pics!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

sure wish we had a video devoted section on this website
new users would be more aware they are available
they would be easier to locate
more noticeable
might encourage others to make some

glad to hear you had good luck with that carb
Morganithor
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4wd

Post by Morganithor »

Archinstl/Tom, Petros and Xirdneh THANK YOU ALL! I WILL post a video about my car! Petros, what section should I make the post in? Xirdneh, Thank you again and I've been contemplating starting a videocast called... Wait, HOW long does it take? And showing a LITERAL AMATUER (that's me!) how long it ACTUALLY takes to do these things. The emphasis being, YES, it takes a good bit of time, but MORE IMPORTANTLY, that ANYONE can do this stuff! :D

So thank you all so much! I'm having some idling issues, and I posted in the *I think* appropriate forum to ask THAT question!

Thanks,

Morgan.
Teecee
My tercel:: 2000 tercel

Post by Teecee »

Nice vid. will bookmark this one
suggy
My tercel:: 1984, toyota tercel, 4wd wagon, 5spd manual, stock & boring

Post by suggy »

Awesome video, super helpful, especially when the NAPA instructions were for a single barrel Rochester Carb. Unfortunately I bent my jet pump check ball spring in the process. Hopefully the substitute spring I found will work, time will tell.

I usually only rebuild carbs when the auxiliary accelerator pump goes. I usually wait till it the vehicle won't start after a couple pumps of the gas pedal, or the diaphragm is obviously torn. Otherwise it seems like a lot of trouble....
Shanemt
My tercel:: 1983 sr5 4wd wagon

Post by Shanemt »

Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these filters and the rubber tubes that connect it? Came off the choke break diaphragm on the back drivers side of the carburetor. It crumbled when I touched it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Shanemt wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:20 pm Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these filters and the rubber tubes that connect it?
Someone already answered your question in the other thread, but it's a one-way check valve. Can be replaced by a universal part.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited