How to lift your Tercel 4wd

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
jimcrazy
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Re: How to lift your Tercel 4wd

Postby jimcrazy » Wed May 17, 2017 3:02 am

there is bearings to support the carrier same as the rear but the bore of the carrier is what supports the axle and it has no bearings,,that is what wore out on mine making the axle flop around

C130
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 280K Lift and 195 75 14.

Postby C130 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 am

ARCHINSTL wrote:4WD Shifter Seal Info;
XLNT step-by-step pictorial on replacing by dlb: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9701&hilit=4wd+seal
xirdneh also has seal info in this thread.

More on seal sizing: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9522&hilit=4wd+seal

Tom M.

Thanks I figured it out, its on its way. Rock Auto had it, shipping was 8$ though...

C130
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 280K Lift and 195 75 14.

Postby C130 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:29 am

Petros wrote:C130,

usually if one of the cv joints is worn it will cause a vibration, worse on acceleration in a turn to the side with the worn cv joint. you can check by hand, jack up the car and than rotate the outer cv joint back and forth, there should be little to no play in the joint.

if you have a leaky axle seal, that might indicated the outer diff bearing is wearing out, allow the axle stub to wobble too much and cause it to leak past the seal. This can also be a source of the vibration.

I have the same thing right now, and I replaced the cv axles (and all other worn suspension parts) but the vibration is still there, so I am thinking it is in the diff now. Will have to replace the whole assembly, or consider replacing the bearing in it, which means setting up the shims to reset the gear lash between the ring and pinion. I would rather just replace the whole assembly.

So first check the easy and less costly things: cv joints. Replace if bad. The seal might be just a coincidence (which go bad sometimes even with good diff bearings). if it is good, than see if there is any play in the axle stub where it plugs into the diff assembly. If so, you may need to replace the front diff assembly, if so be aware that there are two different front diff ratios for the manual trans Tercel, '83-84 has 3.73:1 and '85 and later has 4.1:1. so you either have to match it, or also replace the rear diff with the matching ratio.

Thanks Petros, I hope its not the latter. Ill start digging around for a deal on front axles. If if continues to wobble, the integrity of whatever is carrying the axle will be damaged. Ive never messed with the internals of a diff. I'm also hoping that the seals were a result of the 280K on them and my monkey arms smacking the axles back in after the clutch job. We'll see.

Abra-Cadaver
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: free ground-score: 1986 Tercel SR5

Postby Abra-Cadaver » Fri May 19, 2017 1:45 am

haven't been on here in a while, nice to see the cars built off this thread. 8)

Return to “Repair Guides”