The battle wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Re: The battle wagon

Post by Tercel__jon »

Well we got her running and driving. And with some creativity I made the stock air cleaner fit. A lot of bashing with a hammer, and cutting with the cutting wheel but it worked! And no theres no air leaks! Pretty proud of that.

As far as hp, I cant really tell yet but its got gobs more power. And for some reason, its ALOT quieter. Deeper tone to the exhaust too. I dont really understand why since like you guys said, only 100ccs bigger. This swap was done mainly to have something to drive if we had to. All our other cars are 2wd. We had a forcast of 6 inches and its still coming down. Its a foot deep in places with it only being 4-5 inches on the main roads.

I also was able to flush the radiator and got all that stop leak goo out. Funny thing, it doesnt produce heat now. I had to make a grill block in order to get any heat! It got all nice and toasty, so I pulled it out. 1/2 mile later its cold again. Whatever, Im happy with her. And will be devising a proper grill block in the AM. So, without further ado, pictures!

The miata wheels look so awesome when they're packed with snow.

I also love how the car doesnt sink, it just kinda floats on top.

Bonus shot I found while re-hosting pictures!

Last edited by Tercel__jon on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Drove her to work last night. Pretty sure the lack of heat is a stuck open thermostat.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

t-stats that sit in a car for a long time without running tend to go bad, the behavior is sounds like a bad t-stat. get a good one (not a cheapie) premium quality and it should keep your engine warm even in your weather, and function properly for 3-4 years.

where are you located?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

It was. I already got a new one in her. Oh and here's an added plus, all the seals are starting to leak. Front main is leaking now. I suppose it wont be long before the rear starts too as well. This motor did sit for quite a while.

I knew this was going to happen. I knew this motor sat for a while. I knew the seals were gonna go. I knew the clutch was going out. Am I mad, upset, or disappointed? Not at all!
The entire point of this swap was to be able to get around in the snow until it was gone. Its gone now, so I can pull the motor back out and replace all the seals, clutch and do a few other things Ive been needing to do. It truly was a "quick and dirty" swap.

Im in north central North Carolina near the NC/VA border. Close to roxboro.
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Post by 4doorVIP »

hey man I love seeing updates on this project

those maitas looks sweeeet
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Thanks! So do yours! I think the daisy wheels really update our cars.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

So, a little update. On the 24th when I got home, I went and pulled the motor.

Then pulled the fender as well to run some new wires, probably didnt have to, but eh, what the hell.

Chrysler HEMI orange for that extra hp.

And I leave yall and myself with this. A little bit of motivation. Should have her ready to go back in monday evening if everything goes well.

I also picked up a 12 ton press and a cheap little mig welder, so thats gonna open up my ability to finally do a bunch of stuff.

Edit: I dont know why I never updated with the finished product...thats not very nice of me. Guess while Im re-hosting pictures Ill add on. Welp, here we go for part two of this post.

The motor went in without any problems, but after putting the air cleaner on, I did hit one little snag.

So I did what every good hotrodder does and cut a hole in the hood! I later extended the cut more towards the front so i could angle it down allowing the air to be rammed right into the air cleaner.

Then a little 20-30 dollar scoop from autozone and it was done!

You can see the chrome through the scoop in this shot.

Last edited by Tercel__jon on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

the orange block looks awesome. for the weber, you will need to swap to a short filter, and even then you might run into clearance issues with the hood unless you delete the phenolic spacer and re-route the PCV to the EGR port via splatterdog's mod.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Yeah I compared the filter to the other one I modified and could tell It was a lot taller. Ill be dropping the front crossmember a few inches and then Ill cut the hood. Ive got a sweet Idea for a hood scoop.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Ill be keeping the spacer.
Social
My tercel:: AL25 1984 4X4 Wagon -AE86 4AGZE-

Post by Social »

By chance do you want to sell the window metal sun shields.
Thanks
AL25 Wagon / AE86 Levin 4agze / Honda CRV.
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Post by timothygodden »

Tercel__jon wrote:Its just the bartos lift. The cutting boards up front and pathfinder springs in the rear. I believe he said he used six stacked to achieve 2? inches over stock. Ive actually been thinking about removing a few since I replaced the bumper with this one, it sits up a little higher than the rear. Heres some flex shots, I dont have the Thunderbird rear shocks yet so travel isnt what it can be in the rear.

Heres a shot of the spacers. Those bolts were just used to line everything up, I have grade 8 in there now.
doing the barto lift already completed the rear, got 4", and the front, got 2". building my spacers now out of a solid 2" thick piece of UHMW was wondering if you were you able to find the same press in bolt just two inches longer for the top hat? or did you just use regular grade 8 bolts and some lock washers?
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Sorry Social, Ive got them on every vehicle I own, cant stand not having them so Ill be keeping them. I know where there are a few tercels at a yard I frequent, Ill grab some next time Im there for you. Shouldnt be very much.

Timothy, I wasnt able to find press in bolts, so I just used regular grade 8s. Theyve been holding up just fine. The rest of the suspension, has not.

Ill be back sometime in the next few days with another update.
Social
My tercel:: AL25 1984 4X4 Wagon -AE86 4AGZE-

Post by Social »

Tercel__jon wrote:Sorry Social, Ive got them on every vehicle I own, cant stand not having them so Ill be keeping them. I know where there are a few tercels at a yard I frequent, Ill grab some next time Im there for you. Shouldnt be very much.

Timothy, I wasnt able to find press in bolts, so I just used regular grade 8s. Theyve been holding up just fine. The rest of the suspension, has not.

Ill be back sometime in the next few days with another update.

That would be awesome.They are something i have been chasing for quite some time now considering i started getting parts for my al before i even owned it.
Thanks mate
AL25 Wagon / AE86 Levin 4agze / Honda CRV.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

I have found the ultimate upgrade! The unicorn! The biggest and most sought after piece of the puzzle!

The rear axle from a 85 corolla GTS!

Its got a 4.30 LSD rear in it. Which is good, because the track car (85 cressida) needs a 4.30 ring and pinion. Its also LSD. So, Ill just swap everything over. Different exterior cases, shouldnt be a problem though. Now, The tercel has a 4.10 front end. WELLLL when I did the 5spd swap on the cressida I also pulled out the stock 4.10 diff. This means the lsd that I pull out of the cressidas 4.30 rear end can be installed in the 4.10 gear set (after being rebuilt obviously). Bolt all that into the hogs head, (obviously checking lash and other adjustments and replacing anything that needs to be replaced along the way) slap it back in the housing, shove the axles back in and BAMO! LSD rear in the wagon!

Now, if someone wanted to do this swap without having all these parts around, well the gts rear end is a 6.7" diff. They make ALL KINDS of ratios for em. In fact, here's the link. http://weirperformance.com/finaldrivegears.html It appears the supra and gts rear ends are two different sets, I might not be able to swap them after all. Good thing new ring and pinions are too expensive.

The disk brakes dont look very hard to adapt. Ill be upgrading the front brakes at this time too. The MR2 master, booster, larger tercel disc, yall know the drill. I might be able to use the proportioning valve off the extra cressida shell I have. Since it has front/rear disc.

Also, just remembered, the axles on the gts rear end are 4x114.3 So Im either going to get 4x100-4x114.3 adapters and some new rims which I need anyway, or some 4x114.3-4x100 adapters.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

nice score! you might be able to use the 4.1 ring and pinion set out of the rear of a corolla all-trac if you can find one in a wrecking yard, I think it is the same size as the GTS rear end (you must verify that first).

I was considering the same thing, let us know how it goes. I thought it might be possible to drill the axles flange for the 4x100mm lugs and than still use the same wheels (much more common than the other bolt pattern). So the flange will have two sets of holes in them off set half way between the each other, so you can use it with either bolt pattern, and no need for an adapter.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)