The battle wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Re: The battle wagon

Post by marlinh »

That seems strange dlb. Weird that your steering was affected.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Post by Tercel__jon »

DLB Id love to get one of those T4wd.com stickers, wasnt one of our members selling them at one time?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

yeah, i got mine from synthdesign. i'm sure he has lots more. there are a bunch of different kinds, like 3 or 4 for external applications and another 3 or 4 for internal applications. the internal application ones go on the inside of the windows, which are my fave. i messed up the first couple trying to put them on though because there are two steps: 1, remove the paper from the adhesive side and stick on the inside of a window, then 2, carefully peel off the backing paper. on my first try, i think i got my filthy fingers all over the adhesive side and got it stuck on itself.

there are more pics of synth's stickers here, some on his car and some on tercel4wdrules as well. just scroll down a bit.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=0& ... ker#p48430
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Thanks! I had seen the thread a long time ago back when he was thinking about it, guess I missed it when he got em. Ill need to contact him when I get paid.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Alrighty fellas, I bought my 85 cressida back to use as a daily while I build the wagon back up from the wreck. Havent gotten the check yet in the mail, but when it comes Ill be buying a 2 car car-port so I can work at a rain-proof pace. Anyway, I thought a little motivation for the new project might be in order.

Yes, it is what you think it is. A porch chair. The cross straps will be replaced with another material later on. But it will fit with minimal modifications. Im going to try and keep it as low as it is in the picture because it was really comfortable. Shes no longer a daily so I can afford to have some fun with her. Speaking of which, the real fun part will be adapting the old seat tracks to fit the new one.

I know it looks really trashy right now, but just wait....have a little faith, If its not awesome, I wouldnt be doing it.

This is where I got the seat Idea from. http://youtu.be/IqaSSmx2o38?t=4m2s

Edit: server change or something on FB disconnected the link. I also cant find the original picture, but here it is FINISHED!

Last edited by Tercel__jon on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

why not strip all the interior out, paint it specked? Saves weight and looks very utilitarian. You can have a lot of fun building that into a stripped swap whommper.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Ive been thinking about gutting it. But I like the interior.

Also since the mirror was busted...Ive been trying to come up with some cool mirror ideas. I have another set of mirrors, but they are off a 87 and dont fold. Thinking some old american side mirrors re purposed to be fender mirrors. I'd have to be a cheap set though.
Last edited by Tercel__jon on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

I guess this is an answer to my repair thread I posted. #1 was 95psi. #2 was 85psi. 3 was 95psi. and #4 was 95psi.

So with the supposedly massive amounts of snow (for our area) Im doing an engine swap to the 4a I bought last year.

I think it was a combination of failing oil pump and 314k miles that did her in. Still unsure if I should rebuild and swap back in so I can pull the 4a and do a huge build on that, or just turn it into a coffee table. No idea.
Last edited by Tercel__jon on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

once you run the 4ac, you will not want to go back. You could just do a re-ring, bearings and seals, perhaps an oil pump, on the 3a to have a "spare" or to sell to another forum member when one is needed.

low compression all the way across comes from either running on dirty oil, or without an effective air cleaner. either way, fine grit wears the cylinders and rings. Have a machine shop check the bore dia, if it is out of round or worn too large you will need to overbore it and go with oversized pistons.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Yeah, Ive decided to make a kickass coffee table out of it. It took me a ton of places and I want to make a montage of photos under the glass. As for grit, thats a huge possibility. I had to rig up an air cleaner so I could play in the snow. All that salt they put down must have gotten through and did the deed. If you remember the compression numbers were less then great before but characteristic with a worn engine. Ill have to do better before she leaves the garage this time.

But good news!

The 4a is in! Shes plopping and plooping though and refusing to start. Its a simple timing issue, Im just too tired to mess with it right now. Its in, it makes some kind of noises. Im happy. By the way, the entire swap has taken less then 24 hours. Most of that time was taken up by sleeping and cleaning up messes. The picture in the previous post was taken just shy of 2:30am yesterday, we started at midnight. The picture in this post was taken at midnight. I was working with two friends that know nothing about tercels and having to instruct every bit of the way. Total madness. We also didnt have the time/gas to drive across town to a buddies to borrow an engine lift. We just he-manned it in there. Just the engine without accessories is about 200 pounds.

I also was able to pull the input shaft bearing for the trans, out of the back of the crankshaft and insert it into the back of the 4a crank. It looks to be the same size as a skateboard bearing. Just a thought, it probably isnt though.

Hopefully tomorrows update includes a video of a running engine. Long as we get it back together before the snow starts piling up we'll be in good shape. We're expecting 6+ inches so I want to be prepared.

I read on wikipedia the 4a in an ae86 had 90hp. Is that right? Cause thats what this 4a came out of.
Last edited by Tercel__jon on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

with a smaller engine it is just as well to muscle it out, and drop in the replacement engine the same way. with all the accessories striped off it is not too bad a lift with a 4x4 and a lifting strap, one "strong" man on each end.

90 hp is about right for the 4ac. you could be getting a bit more with the weber and a performance street cam.

Do not drive that new engine without an aircleaner. It will damage the engine is very short order, fine dust and grit will get sucked in. I once, many years ago, bought an old Datsun with a "rebuilt" engine less than a year old. when I looked at it it had no air filter because he lost the cover for it when they replaced the engine, the fool drove it that way. when I got it home it seemed to lack power, I did a compression test and it have very even but very low compression. I ended up rebuilding the engine again and bought an air filter assembly for it!

It is not worth driving at all without the airfilter, it will do too much permanent damage to the rings and cylinders. Get one right away.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Dont worry. Like I said, before she leaves the garage she'll have a proper aircleaner on there. I saw how quickly those compression numbers fell. I dont have another replacement motor laying around so I cant and WONT take the chance.

I feel like doing a compression test on it tomorrow to see where it is currently. We'll see what they are.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Tercel__jon wrote:I read on wikipedia the 4a in an ae86 had 90hp. Is that right? Cause thats what this 4a came out of.
i also read this a while back and it didn't sound right for how the engine feels in comparison to the 62-hp 3a—they honestly felt about the same to me when i put a 4ac in my first terc. i have come across other incorrect engine info on wikipedia before, and a 100 cc increase in combustion chamber size should not equal an increase of 28 hp. the rest of the engine is identical so i don't see where that power would come from. so i talked to a friend who is intimately familiar with 4ac's through his love of old corollas and he said that it is closer to 70 hp. i am inclined to believe him but cannot find any other reliable sources on the internet for the power rating of the north american 4ac so at this point, i'm not sure what to believe.

regardless, i still think that if you need to replace your engine, moving up to a 4ac makes sense.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I did some digging myself and found the 70 HP number as well for a 4AC. I think the 90 HP figure is with it not detuned due to emissions or something?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

they actually had different hp depending on what country they were sold in, mostly due to emissions requirements and other local regulations. So it is hard to say what is the correct hp, on my 4ac I put all of the Tercel 3ac external equipment on it, the 3ac manifolds, and the Tercel carb. So how much hp would it have? who knows? Most definitly has more than 62 hp