'The Terrorcel'

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: 'The Terrorcel'

Post by dlb »

i've only replaced one ISB and it was on the tiny little trans in my wife's 92 civic. it was fairly easy because it's a small trans and i was able to work on it inside the house, but removing and replacing the trans on t4s is a real PITA so yes, it is a pretty big job even though the part itself is small and pretty cheap. the good news is that you can drive with it like that for quite some time before it becomes a real problem.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I believe the input shaft bearing can be removed from our cars quite easily. If you drop the rear transmission mount, there is a cover at the top of the trans that you remove. 4 screws, I think. The input shaft pops out of there with just a gentle pry with a screwdriver.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

marlinh, are the input shaft seal and bearing also accessible from the trans exterior? i assumed they were installed on the interior (like on the civic trans i worked on) to keep them cleaner and free of grit.

this is covered on page 317 (mt-36) of the FSM but it's not clear whether it can be done with the trans in place or even assembled.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

It looks like the seal can only be replaced with the transmission removed. I will have to look at one of my parts cars to see if I can see that seal. The cover has 5 bolts, not 4.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Just had a quick look at the bell housing side of one of my parts cars, and after removing the release bearing, I do not see a seal. I guess the trans needs to be apart to replace the seal. Someone else know?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

marlinh wrote:Just had a quick look at the bell housing side of one of my parts cars, and after removing the release bearing, I do not see a seal. I guess the trans needs to be apart to replace the seal. Someone else know?
sorry, i'm confused by our slightly different terminology. by release bearing, do you mean the clutch throwout bearing?

also, it sounds like the input shaft bearing is terceleb8's problem, not the input shaft seal, although that seal should be replaced while you're in there doing the bearing.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Release bearing and throwout bearing are interchangeable terms. The input shaft bearing is totally doable without pulling the trans. I just don't think that the seal is accessible.
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4ac

Post by tercelebr8 »

So I am gonna take care of this at a (all access!!) lil shop close to home.. Seems like a wooly bugger of a time in my shed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Romulux
My tercel:: None yet - I'm on the hunt >:]

Post by Romulux »

Found your car's theme song

You thought that you'd have so much fun off-roadin with your bro's
But on the dirt road awaits a terror that nobody knows
Without a fear you rip around stoked on your killer sways
But to drive over the crests is what this monster craves!

But it's too late it has made its mark
THE TERRORCEL
You're heart skips a beat
When it shows its teeth
THE TERRORCEL
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

Ha yeah! The art was way inspiring to.. some friends are a punk cover band and they loved the art.. Their band name?: zombiecock
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

Just got back from the pacific nw, got to help petros pull an engine:) I swear I couldn't have taken notes fast enough! But a lot has sunk in since then... Most important thing he said? "You just got to get in there and do it." Heavy truth for such light engines..!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

About 10 minutes from home, the off road adventure begins! It's really nice if anyone is ever wants a tour ....! I can be convinced into almost any adventure:) -fixed my strut tower mount and cv axle, its like a new car out here(thanks to the good eye of petros, no thanks to terribly blind me..)
scrapz253
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 84 sr5 6 spd

Post by scrapz253 »

im so jelly. nothing but crappy desert out here unless i drive a few hours west...
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

So.. After hours of dirt roads, my 'charge battery' light wont go off.. (Have started and run car 10+ times since) And my parking brake is now always on/flickering! Sometimes dim, sometimes off? Any leads, any one??

(These cars really will go almost anywhere, for almost ever!)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Sounds like the alternator is on the way out (unless of course the belt is loose.)
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)