'The Terrorcel'

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: 'The Terrorcel'

Post by dlb »

tercelebr8 wrote:Oh and one more gripe... I have the most finicky starter tranny wire? It only starts when it wants to, and its in another bad spell.. It would see, that the terc only wants to start when its

A) not tooooo cold outside, or

B) when its good and runnin and hot? Sounds like this dumb ass wire on the bottom of the starter, but i wiggle it and it works sometimes, and other times nothing. Im i so stupid that it could just be corrosion all around on this ONE wire?
the wires/cables running to the starter or battery could be badly corroded. i had a similar problem on a t4: when i would turn the key, all the lights would go out and nothing would happen even though the battery was fully charged. i looked at the battery cables and the negative was extremely corroded at the battery end. trimmed the ugly part and all was fine afterward.

sorry to hear about your accident. depending on how bad it is, you may be able to knock most of it out by just removing the interior door panel (takes 5 min) and then hitting the dents back out. i've done it with good results before. just use a piece of wood, like the handle of a hammer, to reach the dents. the sooner you do it, the better though. the longer it sits dented, the less inclined it is to go back to its original shape.
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4ac

Post by tercelebr8 »

Did that.. Now it looks ... O k. Damn my old art teachers and smooth lines, as soon as i get a dent in anything i wanna rage, even though i know much better thru teachings. i want a pristine example now, but now im just some where in the middle which has a tendency to lean towards the rage!

Got $400 for the door. I could have taken the dude for a ride, but decided against it for the good of the uni.. Second time someone has hit that damn door!!

Guess im gonna have to crawl down under her and mess w those wires next... Weird how uninspiring mud season in a ski town is. Hit early this year too...

>I want to go to school in bc..

The shop/garage space i created has two hanger doors and they were both buried by snow/ice/frozen gravel.. When i dug them out it created to pockets that the surrounding snow has been thawing into and freezing at night.. Genius. So i haven't been able to wheel a car into an otherwise ready to go shop for a week or so! Other then that its go time in there, time to play with . . . stuff
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

There is some land calling my name in utah.. I, too want to dissapear into my own sustainable land of non existence, and its just so leveling in so utah. Here are some pics!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

say, that color almost looks like it was designed as Utah camouflage. You could take it one step further and paint some lighter color patches on your car. than you can hide there in the wilderness with little chance of being found.

Great pictures.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

Can't stay away from the ancient wandering grounds... More So. Utah ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

looks like a movie set. A band of Indians on horse back will come out of nowhere yipping and shooting arrows at you as you make a hasty retreat at any moment.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

that third pic is my fave. you're really sold me on coming to check out utah sometime.

you've also had an impact on my wife, who is a little weirded out by the constantly changing desert tercel computer backgrounds.
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

Oh? Well lets not stop there... Just went rockhounding! A favorite past time ..
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

utah rocks!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Apart from its obvious function - what is a "water center?"
Tom M.
P.S. I add to the plaudits for your photos!
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

the sheep trough for western ranchers out in the middle of nowhere..

-guess i could fill a water pipe while im out there gettin my 'engine' on.. (im 1/8th indian, i can say engine:)
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

Brought a Benz diesel back from Colorado the other day, if anyone else was wondering if it could fit! (Diesel going in 85' 4runner:) my tranny is now making the slightest whirring noise when the clutch is released.. Not too bad but I want to check it out.. Maybe the weight of the diesel loosened some things?? Any guesses?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

does the whirring occur in all gears AND neutral when the clutch is released? if so, it's probably the input shaft bearing. the input shaft of the trans spins when the clutch is engaged in all gears and neutral, as opposed to pilot and throwout bearings which both spin when the clutch is disengaged (aka clutch pedal pressed down).

replacing the input shaft bearing requires removal and disassembly of the trans. probably not related to the fact you were hauling an engine in the car, bearings wear out eventually.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Did you drive with the gate up? Any issues with doing so (for future reference?)
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
tercelebr8
Top Notch Member

Post by tercelebr8 »

Yes dlb.. Damn, repair sounds annoying... And or pricy
(No i did not drive w the gate up)