Rockin' Ron...all summer long

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Rockin' Ron...all summer long

Post by dlb »

hey greg. front springs are still available new but rear springs are not. i would suggest taking the rear springs from your parts car and adding these spacers up top like splatterdog explains in this post.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2& ... 239#p67369

i just did the same spacer-above-the-spring thing with my ae95 corolla because its rear springs were sagging a bit. worked great. the car drives the same as before, but i just had a full load of people the other night and this time it didn't bottom out the shocks. it's a cheap yet effective solution.
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Post by GLet71 »

Thanks David. Look, I hope to give you a call and play catch up in the next few days, so hopefully talk to you soon
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GLet71 »

I had a pair of trees fall on my roof and roof rack this winter, so last week I decided the rack must come off (sorry David). Anybody have an idea where I might get some flush rubber plugs, or cheap ideas of the sorts that will work?
IMG_20150517_163327.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Currently:
Formerly:
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Some of these, available at any parts store - and perhaps even at Home Depot or Lowes.
auto-fastener.jpg
Use with black RTV under them.
Tom M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GLet71 »

Et voilà! I'm pretty happy with the results of my roof rack removal. I found the plugs at Lordco, and was given a nearly empty tube of urethane to seal them in from a windshield place. I had a freak out moment when one of the front rivets jammed my sun roof, but was able to fish them out with a telescopic magnet after all so take care when drilling them out!
Currently:
Formerly:
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

What's this about Tercs in the Kootenays and trees falling on them?
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GLet71 »

Guess what happens when you haul 3 heavy ass mattresses, etc 600km? Well, your rear bearings whine about failing you. Unlike Petros, I was preemptive in my repair! :o

https://youtu.be/t5-NWorL3W8
Currently:
Formerly:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

not sure hauling mattresses would do the bearings in, it was likely a coincidence. that rear axle assembly is also used on the RWD Corolla, including the '88 and later corolla all-trac. the rear axle assembly is fairly durable, including the bearings, it is used on heavier cars than the Tercel4wd.

Though I have noticed that the passenger side ones seems to get replaced at a rate almost twice as often as the drivers side. I suspect since this is the curb side that bashing curbs sideways when parking may result in premature failure. I have gotten anywhere from 100k to 200k miles out of the rear axle bearings (about the same for the front ones too). So coming up to 400k on my daily driver I have replaced all of the wheel bearings and seals more than once.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Petros, I think you are right. Overhere I've replaced the rear bearings twice and each time because the LHS bearing was whining which is our passenger side.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Jonymoto wrote:Petros, I think you are right. Overhere I've replaced the rear bearings twice and each time because the LHS bearing was whining which is our passenger side.

yes, I suspected so. I generally park carefully because I do not want to damage my tires or mark my alloys, so I could not think of any reason the right side would wear out faster than the left, particularly in the rear axle which spend most of its life just holding the rear off the ground unless in 4wd, which is not that often. I was thinking the engine rotation might put more load on one side, but that did not make any sense, than it occurred to me it was the curb side. Rather light sideways impacts like put little dents in the race where the balls or rollers are, and than these slowly cause the bearing to disintegrate as the balls roll over the dents.

Since you drive opposite down under, and have the same issue, but on the left side, that I think should cinch it. The engine rotates the same way in both versions, it has to be curbs.

Since I suspected it, I have been especially careful when parking next to a curb.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Unfortunately one of my 2 daughters borrow the Tercel, mostly at the weekend. So without appearing to be sexist, the 3 women in my life are not great parkers (wife and 2 daughters). They would go to great length to avoid parralel parking if it involves reversing the car to get between two parked cars. So I'm talking from experience. She will be getting a Yaris or a corolla soon. So the Terc will be completely mine again.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

As fate would have it, I had to nip out of work this morning to rescue my daughter on the freeway. She blew the left hand front tyre (passenger side for us) on her echo at 100km/h. She said she scraped a curb recently, which must've damaged the sidewall. Hopefully no damage has been done to the wheel bearing.
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GLet71 »

Well, it took me a full 12 hours, but I am happy to say I've successfully swapped out my failing 4ac for a stock 3ac I've literally had hanging around for the last year. No, seriously, my 3ac has been hanging from a chain hoist for a year waiting patiently for me to gather the gumption to do my first motor swap ever!

I started the day by shooting video in a step by step fashion, but the battery died at 'remove battery', so this is what it looked like at the end of my day...An epically proud day for me!
Currently:
Formerly:
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

A job well done!! Ron lives on!!!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

congrats, bud. i'm proud ron is in such loving hands. i frequently see his original owner who works at the post office and i always want to tell her where ron is now and how well cared for he is but i think it was "just a car" to her so she would think my gushing was weird. but anyway, i think it's great. it's a match made in heaven.