Rockin' Ron...all summer long

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Rockin' Ron...all summer long

Post by GLet71 »

As some of you know, I have become the very proud owner of member dlb's one of a kind Tercel 4WD. As soon as I heard a whisper of David's thoughts towards selling Ron, I jumped at the lure likely a hungry fish. Before I knew it, I was grabbing a fistful of cash, and my subwoofer, and set off for the coast to meet dlb and pick up Ron at the end of June.

Well, here I sit to tell you all just what a deal I have struck. My partner Emily, my three month old son Nico and I set off for the next two months, travelling out to the prairies and back, off to the Okanagon and back, and off to Edmonton and back. In total, we put on 10331km (6420 miles) without falter.

I guess I should say without breakdown's preventing us from travelling. The battery boiled over, so I replaced it. Fixed. Whatever you do, if you go for the hood scoop idea, bolt it down! Mine flew off on a hot day near Saskatoon when a semi truck went flying by, and I ended up looking kinda ghetto until I found a skookum looking OEM 60's Mustang, pot metal, hood scoop. Fixed (good enough until I flat black it, eh David?). I took a rock in my windshield. Not fixed, and likely will stay that way until I really need to make it happen.

After all that distance, I am out camping less than a week ago, and on my way home, I took a bloody rock into my rad causing a decent leak preventing me from any further travel. Damn, not fixed, but I'll get on it soon enough.

Here are a few pics from the adventure...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Rockin' Ron...all summer long

Post by GLet71 »

Here are a couple more that I thought I should include with the new scoop:
156.JPG
IMAG0456.jpg
IMAG0460.jpg
IMAG0482.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

man, i've been waiting a long time to see how your travels went down, and i'm happy beyond words that they went so well. the new hood scoop is far more legit and yes, once you flat black it it will be very bad ass. i love the hatchtarp (reminds me of the pontiac aztec and its weird tent) and the use of real roof racks when carrying a canoe. those stock racks look awesome but their functionality is limited.

how about mileage? did you stick with having both vac advance hoses connected, or alter the timing? i'm dying to know.

really happy for you greg, and for ron too. he couldn't have gone to a better home.
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GLet71 »

Ahh yes, I forgot about the mileage. For the most of the trip, I averaged 31.22mpg. By the time we took our final trip to Edmonton, I didn't even bother checking, knowing that whatever it was going to be, it was going to be economical! I never touched either of the vac hoses, and other than trying to lean out my timing, but ultimately bringing it back to its original position, I did nothing.

As for the roof racks, I have decided to only use the front one, and lay the back half of the canoe on the stock rack, because it levels the canoe out better, and the 'gutters' over the back windows are starting to pull out.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

great trip! tip: when you drive a 25 year old car, no matter the condition, I always travel with a full set of tools. Saves a lot of money if break downs occurs, and with these cars it is seldom difficult to repair.
speedgraphic
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD Wagon, Manual

Post by speedgraphic »

OMFG! This is what I want my Tercel to be. Ridiculous paint job, hood scoop, the best wheels, and dlb maintained at that!
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GLet71 »

Oh, I had tools allright. A great little kit including a tow strap in case I had to pull anybody out of a ditch, haha! What I didn't carry was a drill, drill bits, that kind of thing. I could have easily waited until I got back to Nelson to do it myself, but I was just to freakin' excited to see it on Ron! That's what contigency fund are all about IMHO~
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Great pix! Thanks!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GLet71 »

I had fellow member marlinh over to have a closer look at Ron and engage in some unadulterated Terc talk when she noticed an uncapped vacuum nipple on my Weber carb. There are two such nipples on the bottom passenger side of the carb. One is hooked up with a line to the distributor, the other, like I said, nothing. It does appear to suck on increased revs, so at marlinh's recommendation, I capped it. How's that sound to you knowledgeable folk?
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

GLet71 wrote:There are two such nipples...I capped it. How's that sound to you knowledgeable folk?
yes, it is always good to have those nipples capped when out in public. Otherwise some kind of trouble might occur.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

greg, i think the other one should go to the carbon canister. check to make sure it's still hooked up. not sure what else it might go to.
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GLet71 »

My mistake, one line comes from the canister, and the other nipple has now been capped. The line from the distributor goes elsewhere, not important.
Currently:
Formerly:
HomeSkool
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87

Post by HomeSkool »

Hey! I've seen your car around the Nelson area. I have not been as active on the forum latly due to the fact I moved back to Nelson and have been really focused on my new job. But now that things are settled down for me I'd love to meet up and check out your car in detail. Happy to show you mine as well if you are interested. Nice to see another tercel in the area that is loved properly.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

finally, the two will meet! funny story greg: homeskool lived about 10 minutes from me for a while. we tried to meet up but never did. now ron has relocated and is yet again quite close to HS so i think it's fate that the two meet. actually, i know it is, since it was none other than HS's yellow ride that first showed me the true potential of a T4, back when it was always parked on burnside in victoria, all those years ago.
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GLet71 »

Yeah, I only saw your yellow beast parked downtown once this summer, but wasn't around much to see it in motion. I am excited to get to check yours out in a little more detail as well. The rain has started, so I'll mainly be using Leonard as to get as much maintenance free living out of Ron while I can; keep him away from those rough winter roads~
Currently:
Formerly: