Road Trip! T4wd Recovery for North of 64

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
celtglen
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84/2WD/Wagon-stock/311+K miles-original engine/original owner/ no mods

Re: Road Trip! T4wd Recovery for North of 64

Post by celtglen »

What a great story! :D :D :D :D :D
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Awesome stuff!! LOVE road trips.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Post by Tercel__jon »

This is awesome!

Wish I could do the same to tercels on the east coast.
Ace
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '83 DLX 4WD Tercel wagon 3AC

Post by Ace »

I came across this interesting story (from over four years ago) while looking for information about something else. Wondering how things turned out in the long run for this car.

I have to say, it sees like a huge gamble to buy a car sight unseen at a distant location. What seemed like a "good buy" turned out to have a host of significant problems including mismatched differential ratios, wrong carburetor, scrambled vacuum hoses etc. And a used car from Nebraska could have been subjected to significant road salt in winter. (I lived 3+ years in Nebraska a while back).

Anyhow, kudos to Petros for taking on such a project and reporting the adventure.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have done this several times, and I will be driving another Tercel4wd from Seattle to Boston starting next week, to deliver to another forum member. I am pretty confident I can fix most things along the way, though there are a few things that might end the trip. Which has not happened yet.

We have not heard about this owner for some time, she used to be active on the list. She owned one that rusted away, and looked for another one, which I delivered since the planned ride west did not work out. As far as I know she is still driving this one in Yukon Territory.

This kind of trips are fun adventures, and real adventures, not planned vacations. You never know if you will make your destination, or what might come up along the way. When it does, you figure out a way to deal with it. That is real adventure.

One Tercel we picked up in Texas and drove back about 4000 miles, need a number of repairs along the way, including new tires (the old ones disintergrated half way home). It delayed us a day, but still made it home safe and sound. That is always part of the fun.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
BAMF
My tercel:: 84' 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by BAMF »

I am moving from Albuquerque to Porland OR in ten days and I was going to rent a truck and tow the Tercel but after reading this story im contemplating shipping my stuff and driving her out there, very inspiring Petros!

P.S. What were all the repairs done to Bones? Didnt see that post
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Just to throw a story into this thread my dad drove his 800,000km + Tercel from here in Nova Scotia to BC and back a couple years ago. For anyone who might not know, that's across Canada and back...
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

dcn wrote:Just to throw a story into this thread my dad drove his 800,000km + Tercel from here in Nova Scotia to BC and back a couple years ago. For anyone who might not know, that's across Canada and back...
For us Yankees unfamiliar with km's - that 800Kkm is just shy of 498K miles! And he still had to drive back from BC to NS, another 3600+ miles!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

You know Tom? This has and still is the best car I have ever owned, and I have bought new cars, all Toyotas of course,lol, there is 846753kms. on it as we speak, and I wouldn't think twice about going back to BC and back home again, I would leave today. I have friends that have new cars that are always in the shop for something or another, Recalls or something. So I"ll stick to the 'Ol Terc and just keep wrapping up more trouble free miles, oh yeah we're on the foolish measurement system, kms I mean.