Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post by larry mcgrath »

one more time 4age 20v B/T into a 1983 tercel sr5 4x4 fun but not plug and play (Thanks Synth and TOM advice to post) cranked it tonight has good oil pressure, starter engages nice and releases.Looks Great in the engine compartment questains welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post by dlb »

larry, it looks like your struts might be mounted to the body backwards. i just checked the FSM to see if i was mixed up and while it's not totally clear, it looks like you have your struts mounted as per a 2WD, non-power steering tercel would. it seems that all tercels with power steering and/or 4WD have the strut studs mounted through the side and rear mount holes.

this is all news to me so i could have no idea what i'm talking about. i just noticed that it looked odd. don't know if it even makes a difference.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Your absoutly correct the strut towers are in the wrong holes, had it aligned and it steered great, glad you notised. This will need to be re-aligned after I get this running. Thanks. Did a little more wireing today, its comming right along :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

Nice job! I'm expecting to be ready to put mine in, in about a month and a half or so! I do get batches of snow to slow everything! If the weather can last this week I would be ale to finish my 4x4 in the garage(if I can call it a garage it's more like a hole) and start prepping the tercel slowly afterward!

Keep up the good work!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Post by 4doorVIP »

nice car man, I love the blacktop - sexy looking motor
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

What are you going to use for an exhaust manifold? did you have to do anything to get that distributor location to fit?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

I've been looking at an OBX for a ae86 20v B/T swap on e-bay stainless, looked at numerous forums about this header only real complaint is it hits the floorboard under drivers feet (but I've droped the engine 2 inches so this should'nt be a problem, I hope,I realy don't have a convient way to weld stainless. It would look good though. But I'm probably going to heatwrap it .I love computers . The dizzy fit perfect, for clearence i notched the seam that protrudes from the fire wall, gives the dis cap about an inch of clearence,enough to service the cap and rotor.ran pressure and return fuel lines today,made brackets to move ig coil and ignitor to just behind rt strut tower on the fire wall, fits prefect.I'll post some pix.Larry :D :D :D :D :D
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Petros: your thoughts about the header(20v has larger ex ports than 16v and a dif bolt pattern on the end studs) a pace setter header I could chop and weld the h ll out of. But revues say their a real cheep header,hows the obx header Synth gave you look for fit and quality. :?: Synth if your looking chime in :)
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

Pacesetter's are cheap! I got a set(see pic in 4age carbing...) Looks thick enough, cheap paint job! But my friend got a set it's been 3 years and the paint just start strippin! When he first bought them it thought it would not last a year! Is repainting them soon is saying! For the fit looks pretty easy to fix!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

pix of dizzy ect
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

One more time :D :D
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

The header I got from Synth is Stainless steel, it actually does not look too bad for the money. I have seen cheap headers before, but this one looks fairly heavy and workmanship is not bad. It is for the GTS corolla, I expect to have to lengthen it so it will level out at about 2 inches deeper. I am going to lower the engine about an inch, so it may not need as much depth as I suspect. My plan is to get it all bolted together and tow it to the local muffler shop and have them modify the header. He said it would cost about $250 to alter the header. Way cheaper than a custom header.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Just got my OXB stainless header, realy doesent come close to fitting,hits the frame support that the lower control arm attaches to and the floor board, droped the trany with a floor jack to see if it would slip over head studs.No such deal nice looking piece,but on fit not even close REALY. Oh well pace setter here I come should have took pix but did'nt. Rest of swap comming right along In the process of modding the Plenum to get hood clearence,looks like it will fit without moding hood.Larry :D :D :D
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

looks like that distributor is in for good, or at least until you pull the head or the engine again. It does not look like there is enough clearance to pull it out. Can you even get the cap off? I would consider cutting the body seam off around the dist. at least.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Cap and rotor come off with ease for service,cant rember the last time I pulled a dizzy for service not a whole lot to go wrong! If you read the post a ways above you'd see i said I notched the seam.