Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Re: Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post by larry mcgrath »

Just came from the toyota dealer, ordered the nylon pieces that adjust the slack out of the clutch cable. Last night ,i was headed to the store fired up the car pushed in the clutch and heard a loud pop and the clutch peadel fell to the floor. the sector p/n 31387 -nylon piece that holds the clutch cable broke in half there are 9 left in the toyota system so I ordered 2 , along with 2 pawls p/n 3129, this way I'll have a spare. The Rocket has 22,000 miles on it and running great, gets 32 mpg driving at 80 -85 mph . drove to a fishing haunt Friday at 60 -65 mph got 41 mpg, Not bad Larry 8)
Gei1179
My tercel:: Toyota tercel Station wagon 4WD 85'

Post by Gei1179 »

Hello everyone. I'm from Costa Rica. I wonder about this topic, I want to change my engine and I would add this to my car engine, the question is: Yes I engine change and add new engine is operating with the same gearbox? Or you recommend?
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Welcome to the forum. This car has the orginal trany and drive line,swap has 24,500 miles on it with out any problems so far. Was a lot of work to instal, but made the car sooo much fun to drive :D :D :D Larry.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

didn't you have to replace your rear diff after doing the engine swap, larry? or was it on its way out prior to the swap?

i guess most times that 4wd (and thus the rear axle) is engaged are not times you would be driving very hard or fast so it seems unlikely that the increased power is going to put much more strain on the rear axle. i think it would be more likely that the front diff or trans that see regular use would be more likely fail due to the increased power. with that in mind, i would guess that your rear diff was on borrowed time even before the swap.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

dbl the rear dif was a little noisy-- 230,000 miles-- now my spare-- this had nothing to do with the swap. Larry
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

wow, haven't been on here in awhile, i was just thinking last night about how cool it would have been to do a 20V swap on my tercel when i had it, I did the 4AC swap, which was a little anti-climactic.

really cool that you kept power steering and A/C, and i'm surprised the corolla clutch fit, i remember the ae86 4ac pressure plate i had wouldn't even fit in the 3ac bell housing, i was thinking a centerforce 3ac clutch kit would be required (they are the only hi-po clutch i know of thats available for the 4wd tercel.)

this thread makes me want to find my old tercel and do this, but i think i would do dual side draft webers so that i could skip the electrical work, ceramic coated log style exhaust manifold for clearance and live with static valve timing.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Happy New Year everyone I hope your new year goes well. I'm looking for some pieces for the Rocket, the trip meter on the 115 mph speedo quit, so I need a speedo --- don't need the tac side of the cluster. I also need the plastic piece that sprays window washing fluid on the rear window. I was scraping ice from the rear window at 15 below , hit it with the ice scraper and it broke off. Thanks Larry
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

I have a spedo i messed with trying to reset the odometer but broke the little clip that holds the odometer in.
I glued it back together and added it to the parts pile.
If you want to try to use it I'll send it your way?

Can't help with the sprayer on the back.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

I've got the rear window sprayer. I just hope I can take it off without breaking it.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

BaileySims wrote:I've got the rear window sprayer. I just hope I can take it off without breaking it.
it just clips in so you have squeeze it to pull it out, and then remove the rubber washer fluid hose from the sprayer.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Baily I'd send you my address in a PM but I dont seem tobe able to message you Larry
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Try it again larry. I think I fixed it now. I'll remove it tomorrow afternoon and send it to you on Monday.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Where is this clip of which you speak? I'm trying not to break it. Haha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Disregard. I got it. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

looks good- now it just needs to warm up so I can instal it-- this morning it was -16 below zero, a little nippy , wev'e got 18" of snow in the yard, larry