Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
PajoPoncho
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5

Re: Larry's tercel gets a 20v Black Top

Post by PajoPoncho »

Hey Larry, I'm looking to an engine swap in my 83 SR5. I really am considering putting a 4age 20v Blacktop in. I have no idea where to look for one, any help there? But I do kinda want to see if I can find another engine with maybe more cylinders to give more power without having it stick half way out of the car :lol: any other advice? Thx!
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Easiest way to find a 20V is to google, "Japanese import engines (insert nearest large city here)" and take a look. Most of those places exist on a plane of reputation somewhere between shady and organized crime, so you will do well to inspect as much of a prospective engine as possible. Expect to pay ~$1200 for a black top with harness and ECU, maybe a little more.

For more cylinders you'll have to do extensive drivetrain work as the stock transaxle is pretty marginal at 4AGE 20V power, anything more and you'll shatter transmissions often. If you're OK with losing 4WD, you might be able to make a V6 fit with a W58 transmission and a beefier rear axle (stock 6.4" won't hold V6 power long). There is no combo of stock parts that makes this work, so you'll be looking to get an adapter plate or bell housing.
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

Pajo, I purshased this engine from an importer in Montreal Canada. Cost 1800.00 with freight to Montana--- complete, no trany, wire harness -computer ect. engine was shipped with out the starter, when I contacted the importer, he imeadiatly shipped the starter.. The engine was in VERY good condition, as repersented. This was purchased from E-bay through Pay Pal, which ensures the purchaser that what you buy is as repersented. This swap was a lot of work but worth the trouble, despite all the nay sayers, that don't have a clue, 31,000 miles and very few problems. Most of this swap was dockumented in this post.----- sorry for the spelling -- Larry
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

Well done Larry, is it just me or does it seem no matter what project you work on people always ask "How much did that cost?"
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

Mad_Marx wrote:Well done Larry, is it just me or does it seem no matter what project you work on people always ask "How much did that cost?"
He's the resident rich-man. We must know how much richer he is than us.

(just kidding, probably just curious about "is this within my financial capabilities)
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Total with parts and machine work was in the 5500 $ range. engine arrived on Jan 15--- this was ready to run on March 17 th---- couldn't start it the header was back ordered and had to be moded to fit up. Spent a Lot of time getting this set up to work the way I wanted,but in the end I'v been quite happy with the results. Larry
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

I got rear ended last week at a stop light, 1940.00 is the bid to fix this, not real bad just the rear deck lid. The mayers step daughter, in a new wagoneer. Larry
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Texting I imagine :\
That's my biggest worry these days when I see someone barreling down on the back of my car, only to stop 3" from my bumper. I've definitely hit the horn at people on the highway when they're texting, only to have them nearly run off the road because of how little attention they're paying.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

that sucks larry! sorry to hear it. hope the repairs go smoothly.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

larry mcgrath wrote:The mayers step daughter, in a new wagoneer.
I'm sure you can wheedle a little money out of him for this (very hilarious) story.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Bad luck. was it icy out?

make sure you show them the trophys you won for your hard work in restoring the car. they just smashed an award winning custom built car, not a 30 year old junker. The insurance company will not be happy about it, and lie to you that they only have to give you the book value of the car (actually you are entitled to be "made whole"). So hold your ground, do not be intimidated by them. Like politicians, they are professional liars. IOW, they do this for a living.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

There should'nt be any problem with getting this fixed, the guys tht run the body shop are good friends of mine, from the tool business. They are the State farm adjusters, and realy did'nt see any problems getting this fixed. I'll keep you posted Larry
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

10-2-2014 010.JPG
:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

those look like 15" miata wheels. should be very nice when you get them mounted. i have similar wheels (except dull rather than shiny) on my ae95 with 195/60r15 on them and i really like them.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11231&p=83878&hilit ... els#p83871
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member

Post by larry mcgrath »

Been a bit since I'v posted on my Rocket, the wheels look great, the larger tires with 15" wheels helped the handling a lot. The tire size raised the gear ratio from 3.73 to 3.43, my top speed so far is 125 mph ---- and that isn't no bull sh#t. Have noticed a little loss in acceloration ,but not where i'ts bother some. Still runs great, and always gets 32 mpg at 85mph