1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found: RESTORATION DOCUMENTED!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5 Wagon : "The Brochure Car"

Re: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found: RESTORATION DOCUMENTED!

Post by bryanthompson »

Here's an update folks. The engine bay was prepped and ready for paint and then we discovered after removing all the grime and able to clearly evaluate the underlying sheet-metal that there is still a portion of the frame that is bent. So back onto the rack she goes to have this area straightened like a visit to the chiropractor. Then, finally she will get her engine bay painted.

Slow going, as always, but still going.
IMG_2177.PNG
IMG_2178.PNG
IMG_2179.PNG
IMG_2180.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found: RESTORATION DOCUMENTED!

Post by Mattel »

Such a fantastic effort you are putting in Bryan. You really are in for the long haul and I admire that. Thanks for sharing!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

how was it bent? from the original accident?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

Petros wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:23 pm how was it bent? from the original accident?
Indeed. It's hard to tell in these photos, but this was a very steep incline, and the car had careened down the slope, and came to an abrupt stop at the bottom. At the base of this ravine is where it sat for several years, and where I retrieved it. The front driver corner took the brunt of the impact.
PullingTheTercelOutofaDitch1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

Question for the group:

Can someone please upload a photo showing how the two tone paint is handled in the rear door jamb? I'm looking for a shot of an original factory painted vehicle in this area with the rear door open to expose the color break up on the wheel arch and in the door jamb.

Because my car had been wrecked in the 1980's I'm not certain that the color break up is correct.

In this photo from 1986, you can see the area I'm looking for; Just inside the rear door jamb on the wheel arch where the blue paint was painted over the silver base color.

Thank you!
79F1DD61-B2CF-4D6F-A32D-74206243F81B.JPG
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

Here is a better photo of the area I'm looking to see in original condition:
IMG_2353.JPG
IMG_2355.PNG
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

Now, that's what you call a perfectly straight frame. Yeah it took three months to get it right, and more man hours than I ever want to officially calculate, but it is indeed correct, two decades after it was crashed and abandoned in a ravine!
IMG_4294.PNG
IMG_4293.PNG
IMG_4292.PNG
IMG_4291.PNG
white_raven
My tercel:: 1987 toyota tercel 4wd

Post by white_raven »

This is just amazing! By the time you are done with this, it will probably be the most pristine tercel on the planet!
incredible build bryan!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

white_raven wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:12 am This is just amazing! By the time you are done with this, it will probably be the most pristine tercel on the planet!
incredible build bryan!
That is simply the way that Bryan operates!
Now, if I win the Lotto, I can do the same for my first, a '46 Ford V8 'vert - prob long ago (60 years :shock: ) made into Gillette blades, though :(
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

Hi folks!

Exciting times in Tercel Restoration Land. The car is ALMOST ready for paint. Just a few more surface imperfections to address, and then he will get is first new coat. Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/m7H5CyQWjjQ
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

+ + +, but - wish the narrative was understandable!
Tom
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

Hey folks! We are getting ready for paint. It’s hard to believe this day is finally approaching. Quick question for the expert here: does anybody have the proper paint codes for 1983 silver and blue? Thank you very much!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you should be able to find it here:

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

Petros wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm you should be able to find it here:

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/
Thanks, Petros, but unfortunately that link doesn't list by the model, and there are several colors that could be potential matches....
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

they used to, but I found this site that does list by year and model: http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/select-color.cgi

they show two tone for '83 tercel as Vehicle color code 2J6. That should be #147 silver metallic and #884 Dark blue metallic