1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found: RESTORATION DOCUMENTED!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5 Wagon : "The Brochure Car"

Re: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found: RESTORATION DOCUMENTED!

Post by bryanthompson »

It's like Tercel Christmas at our house today. New Carpet kit came from Australia. The hue and saturation are correct, but the value is slightly darker than OEM. Just a touch. But I think that's okay; It shouldn't be noticeable, and will really make an impact to have new carpet in the space.

Funny note: I had to remind the manufacturer to put the driver foot pad on the “passenger” side.

Also, a set of non-sunbaked door panels and various other components arrived as well. I'm so grateful for these, as the current ones are fairly peeled cracked.

More soon!

BT
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

IMG_7386.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rabalc
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

Re: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found: RESTORATION DOCUMENTED!

Post by rabalc »

Bryan,
How or where do you search to find all the great parts you come up with?
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

rabalc wrote:Bryan,
How or where do you search to find all the great parts you come up with?

Thank you! I guess its the result of an obsession 15+ years in the making. But I'm happy to share sources:

The carpets are available here: http://www.knoxautocarpets.com.au/contact-us/

For odd, Japanese market items, I do a lot of searching on the japanese sites, but it does help to know a bit of kanji.

And, of course, the wonderful members of this forum have been a godsend to the project!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Bryan - what a classic photo of a chagrined little boy looking at his wounded T4WD! Should be framed!
:lol:

I took a look at the carpet site which Bryan linked - wow - all sorts of options for our cars! Three types of carpet weave (word?) and a myriad of colors!
Which type of carpet you get, Bryan?
The prices ranged from AUD165-186 as I recall - (USD119-134 and CAD same as AUD). I could not get a freight request, as the site kept saying it could not ship to MO? ? ?

Was that a NOS inclinometer you scored as well? :o
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

several years ago, the last time I checked, there were a few small car carpet/upholstery sites that still listed the Tercel4wd. Perhaps not worth carrying an inventory on rarely purchased items, but many shops have CAD patterns for a lot of different odd old cars and trucks. You just have to wait for them to cut and sew the set for your car, and ship it to you.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

Yes, that was indeed a sad day. I remember that my dad was hoping the insurance company would total the car. I surreptitiously wrote letters to Santa, God, Mister Rogers, practically anyone who would listen, pleading with them to use whatever power they had to let it not be totaled. I guess it worked.

We got it in for surgery, and it recovered.

Nevertheless, parents traded in the Tercel and a Nissan King Cab in 1987 for a Ford Aerostar and a Porsche 924. While both of those cars had interesting features (hint: giving a 12 year old his own captain's chair with controls for the stereo system is a recipe for total back-seat driving chaos), I vowed I would one day get the Tercel back...

Regarding the carpet, I chose the Plush Pile option in the lightest grey they offer. Let's see how it fits when we get to that stage. Here's hoping the mold is correct. If there are any floor pan discrepancies between right and left-hand drive cars, then we may have some challenges ahead.

I put the newly acquired parts in the storage unit tonight; It looks so cool in there with the little "Terce Kit" assemblage.

More soon!

PS: If anyone has leads on a Japanese Market Clinometer like the one pictured here, please give a shout. I much prefer this graphic and altimeter:

image-4.jpeg

ARCHINSTL wrote:Bryan - what a classic photo of a chagrined little boy looking at his wounded T4WD! Should be framed!
:lol:

I took a look at the carpet site which Bryan linked - wow - all sorts of options for our cars! Three types of carpet weave (word?) and a myriad of colors!
Which type of carpet you get, Bryan?
The prices ranged from AUD165-186 as I recall - (USD119-134 and CAD same as AUD). I could not get a freight request, as the site kept saying it could not ship to MO? ? ?

Was that a NOS inclinometer you scored as well? :o
Tom M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Bryan - your first and third paragraphs had me just chuckling; both were equally humorous!

I did something similar* around 1951, when Dad gave up the '39 Olds he bought before the War and in which I grew up. He traded on a '50 Nash Statesman bathtub (which I eventually grew to love). But Oh! that Olds!

OT, but I always thought the 924 was under-appreciated; I think Porsche-philes regard it as just barely above the 914-4 - I know my KrautKar nephew snob certainly does.
Tom M.

* But only to Santa; this was pre-TV for us (and looong before Mr. Rogers!) and going to Catholic school, I was terrified of God.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the same years as our Tercel4wd of the SR5 Forerunner had a similar inclinometer gauge cluster as our Tercel4wd SR5, except it had an altimeter like the JDM cluster. I do not know what else is different or if even interchangeable, but you might look at those if you can find one.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Petros wrote:the same years as our Tercel4wd of the SR5 Forerunner had a similar inclinometer gauge cluster as our Tercel4wd SR5, except it had an altimeter like the JDM cluster. I do not know what else is different or if even interchangeable, but you might look at those if you can find one.
the 4runner inclinometers do not directly swap to tercels. they mount on the dash at a different angle. however, you might be able to swap the gauges from a 4runner to a tercel inclinometer, i'm not sure. if you look at the 6th pic in this thread, you can see that the gauges just screw to the base so if you're lucky, they could be a direct fit.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9908&p=73290

according to this site, inclinometers came in sr5 4runners and trucks from 84-88/89.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks ... eter.shtml
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

ARCHINSTL wrote:Bryan - your first and third paragraphs had me just chuckling; both were equally humorous!

OT, but I always thought the 924 was under-appreciated; I think Porsche-philes regard it as just barely above the 914-4 -
Tom M.

Haha thank you! I agree about the 924. My dad always had a knack for buying underappreciated cars that, when looking back, were really nice designs. Of all the derivatives that the 924 begat, the original was the purest incarnation of that design statement, in a similar way to how only the Series One Lotus Esprit was true to Giugiaro's original concept.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

dlb wrote:
Petros wrote:the same years as our Tercel4wd of the SR5 Forerunner had a similar inclinometer gauge cluster as our Tercel4wd SR5, except it had an altimeter like the JDM cluster. I do not know what else is different or if even interchangeable, but you might look at those if you can find one.
the 4runner inclinometers do not directly swap to tercels. they mount on the dash at a different angle. however, you might be able to swap the gauges from a 4runner to a tercel inclinometer, i'm not sure. if you look at the 6th pic in this thread, you can see that the gauges just screw to the base so if you're lucky, they could be a direct fit.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9908&p=73290

according to this site, inclinometers came in sr5 4runners and trucks from 84-88/89.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks ... eter.shtml
Thanks for the tips, you two! I like that the JDM Tercel clinometer has a drawing that more accurately depicts the Tercel, so that's what I would be going for, if I change mine.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i think the 4runner inclinometer uses the same graphic:

bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

dlb wrote:i think the 4runner inclinometer uses the same graphic:

image-4.jpeg
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

wow, i hadn't noticed that. i shouldn't be surprised that they changed such a small detail for the JDM's and yet i am. i haven't noticed on any of the euro or aussie inclinometers but the north american ones definitely have the same graphic as the 4runner's (which also surprised when i first saw it).

Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

In Australia even the same years landcruiser came with a Tercel icon on the dash inclometer!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms