Barto's Ultimate Adventure Wagon Build-up (Update may 18)

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Barto's Ultimate Adventure Wagon Build-up (Update may 18)

Post by takza »

I can just hear that poor front swaybar a groanin' away..... :mrgreen:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Rhett
My tercel:: 86 tercel 4wd sr5 6-speed

Post by Rhett »

so i just bought my first t4wd for $250 it is an 86 sr5 6 speed. i bought it with a spinning clutch and drove it home 30 miles to find out that the right front cv is just about to fall off the wheel. oops, well i made it home. i want to make a semi wheeler out of it.

i want to do a bart lift also but i have a few questions

if i where to do just the camry front end spring and boot swap with out the cutting board would i have to lover my engine?

well i know il have more later i have a few hours of work ahead of me
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i remember from talking with bart about doing this that nothing else needed to be altered if you were just swapping in the camry springs/spring hat. it was his additional lift (using the cutting board spacers) that caused the need to lower other stuff, so you should be fine. i want the camry springs as well, but not the cutting board lift. the rear wheel wells are an inch or two lower than the front ones so i think it looks better when the front end sits a little lower to compensate for that. i did the rear spring swap (well, bart did actually) and will hopefully get the front in august or september.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

I got the rear end done, Barto style. I opted for KYB GR2s instead. I haven't completed the front yet..... Next weekend. I took it for a drive anyway w/o the rear swaybar.

So far I think I have a bit too much body roll for my driving style and will need to work out some way of running the sway bar in back but also make it releasable for off-roading(Toyota 4x4 truck style). Ideas?

Question, the Camry springs are a touch bigger than the tercel spring mount.
Should I grind a bit off the sides of the Carmy springs to make them fit cleanly or just leave it as it is?

Barto, How'd the springs seat up for you?
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
Barto
Top Notch Member

Post by Barto »

Synth you are correct on the camry spring being a touch larger. I was a tiny bit worried about this but the seated just fine. With the abuse that mine has seen I can say that they are not going anywhere. Also with only the rear springs done might be almost overpowering the old crappy frontsprings. I would say wait untill the front is in to decide about the rear sway bar
2001 Subaru Forester 2.5
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

hay barto did you make your shocks explode my camry spring conversion ceeps poping the stop loose on the tercel shocks, i did but them from napa (im pissed at them) now im getting kyb shocks see if they work better
Barto
Top Notch Member

Post by Barto »

I have certainly not had that problem before may just a shitty set of struts.
2001 Subaru Forester 2.5
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

@Rhett
I can't image the Camry springs having any problems. Barto did the right research and prepwork. The springs are about the same length and diameter at base as the tercels. Just 150 pounds more spring rate weight each. About 30 percent firmer.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

yah i bought kyb and now everything is good i should not try to save money.
skyerunner
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Current: 1986 SR5 "El Phantasmo" Previous: White 1983 4wd that used to be my Grandmas

Post by skyerunner »

Hokay,
It's been a while since I've been around these parts, but the rear of my car has been sagging quite miserably lately. So, what I want is stiffer front and rear, but don't want to change things too much in the rear (ie, maybe 4" rear lift is a bit excessive.)
Things I need:
Front-
Camry front coil & spring hat.
New KYB shocks for front.
Rear-
Nissan Pathfinder rear coil
Ford T-bird rear shock

Questions: If I just add the Camry coil in the front, I don't need to space down the engine crossmember?
Do I need any additional parts to make the Pathfinder coil and T-bird shock work other than a Tercel bushing for the shocks?
If I just want stiffer spring in the rear and less lift, can I just cut down the Pathfinder coil so it's only about 2" lift?

Cheers & thanks for doing the inspiration.
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" ~Mary Oliver
blade
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: No tercel. (stolen)

Post by blade »

yes you can make the pathfinders shorter. thats what i did and now i have a higher rear and quite a lot stiffer.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

When you cut a spring it makes it stiffer since you are reducing the number of coils in the spring. The stiffness, or spring rate [in lbs/in of compression] for steel springs, is approximated by the formula: (468750 x d^4)/(r^3 x N).

This is where "d" is diameter of the spring wire, "r" is the radius of the coil (half the coil diameter), and N is the number of coils. Since everything would be the same for the spring except number of coils, you can see that for example, a 13 coil spring, cut down to 11 would result in a spring about 15 percent more stiff. If you have the installed length, and the "free" length, you can determine how much tall or shorter the installed length will be when changing the number of coils, the wire dia, or the overall diameter. The T4wd and Pathfinder springs are almost the same diameter, so only the wire dia, number of coils and length changes.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

@ Blade,
How much did you cut and how much are you lifted in back?

I ended up with a 2.25" lift of body height in front and 2.75" in back. Mine is just a touch high in the back and I'm expecting a bit of sag with the bike rack or packed for 4 wheelin.
IMG_0032.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Like that green...and it's detailed out pretty well too. Lookin' good.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

skyerunner
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Current: 1986 SR5 "El Phantasmo" Previous: White 1983 4wd that used to be my Grandmas

Post by skyerunner »

Hey Barto,
In your car painting experience, it it possible to get the shine of gloss paint to work? Or did you choose matte paint because it looks better?
Also, did you paint those pathfinder coils green and if so, how is that paint holding up as the coils get flexed?
Also, do you do two coats of paint? And about how many cans do I need to do a two-tone job?
Lots of questions.
Cheers,
JB
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" ~Mary Oliver