Barto's Ultimate Adventure Wagon Build-up (Update may 18)

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Barto's Ultimate Adventure Wagon Build-up (Update may 18

Post by dlb »

deejay1272 wrote: FRONT:
Coil hats and coils from an '86 Camry
New KYB shocks for the front (part #?)
the coils can come out of any camry between '83-'86 but it should be the 4-cylinder model. i don't believe anyone has tried using the springs from the 6-cylinder yet.
e2stew
My tercel:: 1983 tercel wagon sr5

Post by e2stew »

Newbie Question-

what is the coil hat?
is it the suspension support/mount that is the upper end of the strut that has the 3 bolts.
or is it the spring seat or insulator or all the above?

thanks
83 Tercel SR5 (with 4.10 gearing)
90 Suzuki DR250s
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

e2stew wrote:Newbie Question-

what is the coil hat?
is it the suspension support/mount that is the upper end of the strut that has the 3 bolts.
or is it the spring seat or insulator or all the above?

thanks
The upper mount that mounts to the frame with the three bolts is called a bearing plate or a strut mount depending on who you ask.

The coil or spring hat is what sits on the top of the spring between the spring and the bearing plate. Spring hats are proprietary to the spring.

The insulator is a little foam washer that goes between the bearing plate and spring hat to prevent contamination to the bearing plate by mud or debris. They should be replaced every time you pull the strut assembly apart.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
carter
My tercel:: 84 4wd hearse

Post by carter »

So you guys still use the Tercel strut/shock in the front? Only with the camry spring and hat correct? I have everything else :P just wondering about the front struts...
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

yup, you've got it.
carter

Post by carter »

cool!

where can I find the spring hat new? I work at NAPA and still can't find the damn hats...anyone have a part number?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The "hat," which Toy calls a "seat," is NLA OE.
Check out the EPC in the Parts Forum for a pix.
http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... ing#p24528 The "insulator" I received is not foam, but rubber.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
carter

Post by carter »

can't find stock anywhere...where are you guys getting them?
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

@Carter
90% of my parts are pulled from the junk yard. Normally when I pull the springs I grab all the rubber bits and other parts at the yard.

I don't think anyone has tried it with new springs. Everyone else has used scavenged parts as far as I know.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Krunk
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 83 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 6 speed

Post by Krunk »

So... check it out. If you CALL KYB, tell them you want rear shocks from a 1980 t-bird with lower bushings from a tercel 4wd they will be able to give you a part number that will bolt right in, you can even ask for any length travel in addition to the stock tercel. They also have the replacements for the front shocks. KYB makes great shocks and they are super cheap, they can usually find a shock for any application. Just call them up and tell them what you want.
I told my wife the other day "Men will always buy a car/truck, spend more money on it then its worth(loving every minute of it) and then sell it for less then they spent on it, ITS WHAT WE DO!" There is nothing you can do.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

that's interesting. i wonder if you could just ask for front shocks that have longer travel so that they work better with the camry springs. i might try that.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4wd, jeep cherokee front springs in rear, cut fenders, mr2 booster, gauge swap for tach, Suzuki Katana 600 Carbs, 330,000 miles and ticking (literally)

Post by PrescottAZ »

I put Jeep cherokee front springs in the rear of my tercel. I would say 3 inch lift just eyeballing no shock change yet. Rides way better. Just trimed the top coil with an angle grinder and threw them in there. Top coil is smaller diameter than the rest and wouldn't fit. Plan on putting som 27" tires in there and trimming things up a bit. No pictures but I will do that after I finish everything.
J
Kapteinmoby
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 87 (85 look) Tercel 4wd wagon, 85 Tercel wagon 4WD (Blå), 85 Tercel wagon 4WD Amfibious (Tvillingen) previous: 86 Tercel wagon 4WD

Post by Kapteinmoby »

What are the spesifications on the cherokee?? year, and stuff?? i need to do this cheap and easy :D
Current: 87 Tercel 4wd wagon, 98 Toyota avensis 1,6 4a-fe, 85 Tercel wagon 4WD amfibious (tvillingen)

Former: 85 Tercel wagon 4WD (Blå), 86 Tercel wagon 4WD 87 Opel Corsa A 1.3, 84-88 Toyota Carina II 1.8, 93 Opel Vectra A 2.0 and 68 Mercedes-Benz E 200.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4wd, jeep cherokee front springs in rear, cut fenders, mr2 booster, gauge swap for tach, Suzuki Katana 600 Carbs, 330,000 miles and ticking (literally)

Post by PrescottAZ »

No idea. I wasn't paying attention. It was more or less "Hey those springs will work! Yoink." Then I trimmed the top coil and stuffed em in there.
Go to the yard with a tape measure and grab springs from a heavier vehicle that are similar in width with a little more height and you should be okay.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

dlb wrote:that's interesting. i wonder if you could just ask for front shocks that have longer travel so that they work better with the camry springs. i might try that.

I've tried it. I even called KYB but never got any knowledgeable help. Didn't spend too much effort.

You'll need 6 things
diameter of cartridge
length of cartridge
diameter of rod
free length of shock +intended lift
compressed length of shock +intended lift
dampening weight

DLB, let us know if you have better luck in Canada.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)