Pac NW project fun car!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Pac NW project fun car!

Post by teranfirbt »

They're throttle bodies from a CBR600. Control is done with Megasquirt.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i have no idea what a cbr600 is. judging from a google search though, it's a honda motorbike.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Make sure you rig some kind of support bracket from under the manifold, that much weight that far off the side of the engine could cause the welds to crack on your home made manifold, it would likely even cause a one piece cast manifold to crack. That is why all car manufacturers have a support bracket under their intake manifold.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member

Post by teranfirbt »

Yep, definitely in the works.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member

Post by teranfirbt »

Anyone know much about the 5AFE? The JDM engine importers tend to sell them for $200 less than a 2nd Gen 4AFE. I'm mostly worried about things like water pumps and such.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i only learned about them recently. they were used to replace the 3a in asian markets. they are a 1.5 L version of the 4afe but i'm not sure if they are same externally like the 3ac and 4ac engines are.

here's the wikipedia info on them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_engine#5A
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I like what it says about the later 5A-

"5A-FHE

Same as the first generation 5A-FE, only more aggressive tune for more output. Called an EFI-S engine.

This engine produces up to 120HP due to slightly larger throttle than the standard 5A-FE and modestly competes better with AE101 Sprinter, Levins.

The next major modification was the high-performance 5A-FHE, with the fuel injected version, the 5A-FHE, being the most powerful. The cylinder head was developed by Yamaha Motor Corporation. The reliability and performance of these engines has earned them a fair number of enthusiasts and a fan base as they are a popular choice for an engine swap into other Toyota cars.[citation needed] New performance parts are still available for sale even today because of its strong fan base.[citation needed] Production of the various models of this version lasted for five generations, from 1991 through 1999 for 16-valve versions and the 5-valve 5A-FHE lasted through 1998.[citation needed]"

with Yamaha designing the head it is likely a very modern design, flow through like the 4afe. the note about a popular swap into other models is a telling statement, I suspect it would bolt up good, but you would still need to make an exhaust header and rig the EFI.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

peter, i also learned recently that the JDM all tracs/sprinter caribs marked EFI-S have a high performance 4afhe engine that, like the 5afhe, has more aggressive tuning. i have seen some japanese sprinters here with the EFI-S decals on them so i'd love to try driving one to see how much of a difference the tuning makes.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member

Post by teranfirbt »

After doing a bunch of looking, the 2nd Gen 4 or 5AFE are damn near bolt in, all I would have to really figure out is the exhaust. I already have the EFI setup from the throttles, so that will just require some wiring and tuning. Luckily, I have Sunday access to the machine and weld shop here at work, so custom parts won't be too much of an issue.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

where is the distributor location on the 5AFE? If off the back of the head it means either cutting a hole in the firewall on the Tercel, or converting to a distributorless ignition. The distributorless ignition would be nice but it will add a lot of cost and more messing around with the installation. the later versions of the 5afe might already have a distributorless set up, but it means perhaps have JDM parts on your car if you use it. The later transverse engine Tercel went to distributorless ignition in perhaps 1996, if that engine bolts in it would also be a good choice, but it looks very different so the chance of that fitting are slim.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member

Post by teranfirbt »

I've already got the 3AC running distributor less with the throttles, so no problem there. The later 4/5AFE already have a crank wheel, I would just have to figure out the pattern to tell megasquirt.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member

Post by teranfirbt »

Well, I'm doing it. So far have the exhaust header done (completely custom, that was fun!). It'll clear everything in the engine bay that's important, and keep heat away from brake lines and such.
Next step is to make a new bracket for the alternator and figure out cooling lines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

wow, cool header. so where does the alternator go? that is going to clear the front engine mount? I would think a 4 into two, into one would be easier to fit. It will be fun to see it in the car and running.

I was figgering on running my header for the 4age strait down and than between the starter and steering shaft, requiring some heat shields. it will be a tight fit no matter what.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member

Post by teranfirbt »

Alternator is going just down from the water pump, gonna build up a custom bracket setup off of the power steering turned coil bracket in front of the head. It'll require cooling routing to go lower, between it and the motor mount, but that was going to have to be custom anyway. I was actively avoiding the starter area with the header which is how I ended up with that design. I also wanted as much length as I could fit with the 4 to 1 header, try and get a little more low end. The throttles are cool, but they pretty much require 3000+ rpm to get going.
Most of the distributor is going away, I'm going to use the sensor in it to run the coil packs, so no firewall issues.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

which engine did you wind up going with, teranfirbt? is that a 5afe in the pic?