Pac NW project fun car!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Pac NW project fun car!

Post by teranfirbt »

Yep, 5AFE.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member

Post by teranfirbt »

Got the top alternator bracket/coil mount done. Bottom alternator bracket is going to be pretty easy. After this it's all cooling system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member

Post by teranfirbt »

Picked up a set of Honda 14" x 5" rims and put a set of 195/70/14's on. Ends up being a ~9.5% larger rolling radius, but doesn't have any issues with rubbing. Gives an extra inch of height and looks right.
WP_20141030_19_43_15_Pro.jpg
WP_20141030_19_57_03_Pro.jpg
Also started the upper cooling pipe for the 5A swap. Turns out 1" SCH10 pipe is nearly the same OD and ID as the bung on the head. Short radius elbows are expensive though, so I'm just going with ~30° miter cuts, shouldn't affect flow too much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

make sure you maintain the flow direction for the coolant as that engine was designed. Also, watch for air pockets that can be trapped in the system, you might consider putting some bleed ports in the head or coolant tube to allow trapped air out. there have been some that put the later transverse engines in the older RWD Corollas and reverse the coolant flow direction, if this is done it means you have to alter the head gasket to change the way the coolant flows through the head. If you keep the coolant circulating the same direction as it was designed, this should not be a problem (as long as you watch out for trapped air in the system).

I also run a slightly larger dia tire (on 14x6 alloy wheels), and my speedometer is now exactly correct per my GPS. Before it was off about 3-4 mph. So you may actually have improved the accuracy of the speedo.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Nice Build!
And ditto on the 195/70/14s being accurate on the speedo.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Post by JDNightFox »

So how much did all the stuff for the CBR fuel injection cost and where can I get all those

How hard was the intake to put on

Wait nevermind that's not the 3A anymore
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Wow! What a cool project!
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member

Post by teranfirbt »

JDNightFox wrote:So how much did all the stuff for the CBR fuel injection cost and where can I get all those

Can still answer your question ;)
CBR throttles were $25 + shipping on ebay, including injectors! I was a little shocked, normally this setup runs in the 60-80 dollar range.
Extra 3AC intake (for flange to weld to) was sitting around, probably a ~$20 JY part
aluminum tube and 1/4" plate will run you $40ish bucks from Ebay
Megasquirt II kit is $250
Wide band O2 can be had for ~$150 from 14point7.com
depending on how crazy you want to get, wiring can be done anywhere from $100 to $5000. Realistically, good wiring with connectors and tools will end up being in the $200-$300 range all said and done.
Odds and ends are probably in the $100 range.

The kicker is that I had access to a full machine shop and AC/DC TIG welder for building everything. With a few changes it wouldn't be hard to do the whole thing with less expensive tools, drill press/die grinder/MIG welder, but you'll still need to do some fab work to make it happen.

Now! If you're interested, I still have the whole setup (minus the throttles) sitting around, including the megasquirt wiring harness. It has been on my mind to throw it all away since it's taking up space, but I'd let it go for ~cost of shipping if you're interested (probably ~$50).
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

teranfirbt wrote:So, what was originally a set of CBR600 throttles on a bench quickly became CBR600 throttles mounted to a cylinder head...
WP_20130317_005 (1).jpg
Then with a little electrical wizardry became CBR600 throttles controlled by Megasquirt.
WP_20130322_002 (1).jpg

Congrats on your newly fuel-injected car. Obviously we know the Suzuki Swift/GEO Metro had the single-downdraft TBI throttle body for our car but you just installed the dual-sidedraft TBI system. I hope it gives you a lot more horsepower. However, your engine compartment could use a pressure washing and it appears to be missing some kind of exhaust hose for the exhaust box below the cylinder head.
K-Business
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

terceldude wrote: However, your engine compartment could use a pressure washing
Yeah - wash your engine bay! It is mortifying! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:wink:
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

teranfirbt wrote:
JDNightFox wrote:So how much did all the stuff for the CBR fuel injection cost and where can I get all those

Can still answer your question ;)
CBR throttles were $25 + shipping on ebay, including injectors! I was a little shocked, normally this setup runs in the 60-80 dollar range.
Extra 3AC intake (for flange to weld to) was sitting around, probably a ~$20 JY part
aluminum tube and 1/4" plate will run you $40ish bucks from Ebay
Megasquirt II kit is $250
Wide band O2 can be had for ~$150 from 14point7.com
depending on how crazy you want to get, wiring can be done anywhere from $100 to $5000. Realistically, good wiring with connectors and tools will end up being in the $200-$300 range all said and done.
Odds and ends are probably in the $100 range.

The kicker is that I had access to a full machine shop and AC/DC TIG welder for building everything. With a few changes it wouldn't be hard to do the whole thing with less expensive tools, drill press/die grinder/MIG welder, but you'll still need to do some fab work to make it happen.

Now! If you're interested, I still have the whole setup (minus the throttles) sitting around, including the megasquirt wiring harness. It has been on my mind to throw it all away since it's taking up space, but I'd let it go for ~cost of shipping if you're interested (probably ~$50).
So that's the whole kit then? I'm definitely interested because this area doesn't have much junkyard stuff to frankenbuild from
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member

Post by teranfirbt »

It would be the hard parts to make, intake and exhaust manifolds, wiring harness, coil pack and sensor. It requires space where the AC compressor is for the crank sensor, so if you have your AC you'll have to change that around a bit.
It won't include the megasquirt, wideband O2, or the throttles, but those can all be had separately from diyautotune, 14point7.com, and eBay.
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

teranfirbt wrote:It would be the hard parts to make, intake and exhaust manifolds, wiring harness, coil pack and sensor. It requires space where the AC compressor is for the crank sensor, so if you have your AC you'll have to change that around a bit.
It won't include the megasquirt, wideband O2, or the throttles, but those can all be had separately from diyautotune, 14point7.com, and eBay.
Sent you a PM
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

ARCHINSTL wrote:
Tom M.

Please enjoy the following attachment :D
K-Business
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

terceldude wrote:
ARCHINSTL wrote:
Tom M.
Please enjoy the following attachment :D
Where the sun don't shine, terceldude ... :wink:
To "insult intelligence," the latter quality must first be a factor ... :roll:
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain