Another Movie Sighting...

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Another Movie Sighting...

Post by Petros »

Another moving that a Tercel4wd is very prominent in is "Difret". It is a true story about a 13 year old girl in Ethiopia who was kid napped and raped by a nearby villager, which in the bush country is a "traditional" way to find a wife (a raped girl would not find a husband in a small village, so she is forced to marry her rapist). She escaped with the abductors gun, and shot him when he tried to force her back to his house to marry him. When she was arrested by the local police, they were planning to try and execute her for murder.

A volunteer woman lawyer took up her case, because this kind of "traditional" marriage was outlawed in Ethiopia. Most of the move is about the trial and the fall out from the girl defending herself from the rapist (I think all women should defend themselves from rapists in such a way, it will not be long before rapes will no longer occur). The lawyer drove a a light blue Tercel4wd from her office in the city to the local police department in the bush country. There was even a scene where she brought the young girl back to visit her family before the trial, when the rapist's family members got word of it they were determined to get revenge. They chased the Tercel on horseback, shooting at them, but the trusty Tercel out drove the horses and dodged all the bullets.

It is a very interesting film, it was all done with Ethiopian actors, and done in the native language (it uses subtitles like many foreign films, so it was a bit hard to follow). My wife borrowed it, not knowing what it is about (she actually likes many foreign films, though I usually can not get into most of them). it was actually directed and produced by Angelina Jolie, and won a lot of film awards. It is actually well done, the fact the Tercel4wd play prominent in the film was extra fun for me.

Here is a the only pic of the Tercel I could find on the web. The lawyer took the young girl to hide her in the city in an orphanage where she would be safe from revenge, after spending several days in her home in the city (the girl had never seen a TV or a telephone before, among other modern wonders). Made for some interesting moments in the film. The filming was done in Ethiopia and had some rather dramatic and interesting scenery.

'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
drege
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Hadatercel

Post by drege »

Rewatching inner space I noticed one at the end during the wedding/car chase scene.
It takes more fossil fuel resources to produce new vehicles than it would take to maintain and fuel any 70's or 80's vehicle for a million miles.
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Good find thanks! Lawyers and their flashy cars.. :D

Found a trailer for the film that has the car in it, great stuff! We have similar views on predators it turns out too..
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

My wife asked me what my car was (i.e the only car we have :D ) and I said 'red' but then she said that it was in a Japanese Cop Show she was watching. A lot of Japanese TV is pretty sentimental. But this one features two of our cars. The old man hires the detectives because they have the same car he had as a new one (the blue car in the flashback scene) The show is sponsered by Toyota as well.

Heres a link to the episode http://newasiantv.me/watch/hello-harine ... 66981.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

That's fantastic! Thanks for posting. Glad that Toyota seems to appreciate their old work.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Thanks DCN! I was just amazed that my wife recognized my car (well actually not my car but the name of the car is the same in Japanese as Corolla 4wd wagon I have now) The gold car in the show is in every episode and is immaculate but they have obviously 'dirtied' it up to make it look secondhand which is pretty funny.
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

X-Files movie (Fight the Future). Fox gets shot and left on the street next to a sweet wagon!
E2C5D0D9-967D-4727-909C-9F470ED9E5D9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

funny. all scenes in movies are intentionally orchestrated by the director to send a image or feel for the main plot or purpose of the scene. So, what does it say when the protagonist of the movie is shot and left for dead in the street next to a lowly Tercel? Seems to me the director thought that would give the feel of hopelessness, despair, the worst of the worst, left for dead next to Tercel, what could be worse?

He should have done his homework better.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

I imagine the car was only about 10 years old at that time so I am thinking the director was after a more 'average suburban' look for Mulders shooting rather than 'ghetto look'

That was what was so interesting about the japanese anime series that was posted above (not the detective one) is the 'evil protagonist' drove a tercel.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Thanks for the post Mattel ------- I LOVE IT just as I love Robert Mueller taking down Trump! ;)
K-Business
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Thank you Petros as well. I've never seen either of those movies and now I badly want to see them both!
K-Business
8es.tercel
My tercel:: 1984 Tecel 4wd wagon completely stock 127k

Post by 8es.tercel »

Watch this is America by Childish Gambino. Gold wagon in the background at 1:25 into the video for about 20 seconds. Then at the end there are some pretty cool Toyota's in a row too.
Mint 84Tercel, Clean 85 4x4 pickup, Project 73 Corona MarkII s/w
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

I spotted another Tercel 4wd in a movie on the THIS station from THIS-TV Boston last night. The movie was Something Wild (1986) with Melanie Griffith, Jeff Daniels, Adelle Lutz and Ray Liotta, etc.

I spotted actually a couple Tercels really. The liquor store scene where at the same store Ray Sinclair, played by Ray Liotta, stalks Lulu aka Audrey played by Melanie Griffith, then steals some candy, asks the owner for some Marlboro's and while the owner is searching for some Marlboro's, Ray raids his cash register of cash. In this same scene sequence, before Ray goes berserk like that, and before he uses his gun, a copper or beige 1981/2 Toyota Corolla Tercel 4-door sedan is seen.

Later on, during the scene sequences where Ray and Lulu drive from Pennsylvania to Virginia, to basically stalk Charles, played by Jeff Daniels, there is a 1982-86 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon spotted pulling out of a motel or restaurant.

Then later, I think, a bluish 1982-86 Tercel 4wd, not sure the trim line, is spotted at the end of the movie when Charles is back in New York City parallel parked next to some apartment buildings bumper to bumper with other cars.

Please tell https://www.imcdb.org/ to update their site with this car being sighted in this movie.

To learn more about this movie, please visit: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091983/

If I see any other unknown 80s movies with sightings of these cars, not listed on our site or that site, I will let you guys know.
K-Business
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

I think you can submit to IMCDB as it is user run.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

It's been previously mentioned, but the 1998 disaster film "Deep Impact" is a gold mine for tercel sightings. I think I would like to be behind the wheel of one as I run from the apocalypse. :lol:

Also made me wonder how well tercels float! :lol: