Member Profiles

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Member Profiles

Post by dlb »

welcome, yarrow creek. is this the terc you picked up?

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z518375803
Yarrow Creek
My tercel:: 1985, tercel wagon 4wd

Post by Yarrow Creek »

Yes it is... already made a run to pick n pull yesterday and got some goodies for it!

Other than needing CV shafts in a bad way and some oil leaks it all looks pretty good.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the forum Yarrow Creek, looks like a decent purchase even with the repairs. there are lots of threads on oil leaks, and how to fix them.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Yarrow Creek
My tercel:: 1985, tercel wagon 4wd

Post by Yarrow Creek »

For sure, already for the FSM and I've been cruising around here quite a bit. Started last night, The half moon plug had hardened up and shrunk so bad that it was literally just rattling around in there, drained the tranny and rear end, adjusted the valves and pulled the rad. I must say, this is the easiest car I've ever had to wrench on.

Tonight I can hopefully finish replacing the timing belt, radiator and valve cover gasket. Next it's the CV shafts and a pinion seal in the rear.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

yeah, they're pretty brilliantly designed as far as maintenance goes. there's very little that's difficult to access. i've been spoiled in that they are the first cars i ever worked on. everything else seems like a PITA now.
motorcity_rob
My tercel:: 1987 Wagon

Post by motorcity_rob »

<span style='color:blue'>Handle:</span>
motorcity_rob

<span style='color:blue'>Location (City, State/Prov, Country):</span>
Farmington, MI, USA

<span style='color:blue'>Tercel(s) owned and modifications done, pictures of Tercel(s) owned (with license plate blurred out):</span>
1987 Tercel Wagon, FWD
<a href='http://www.geocities.com/gasolinefumes/ ... index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.geocities.com/gasolinefumes/ ... ex.html</a>

<span style='color:blue'>Other cars currently owned:</span>
99' Sienna, 98 A4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gogogordy

Post by Gogogordy »

My first post here.

Hindsight is always 20/20. (Wish I appreciated then, what I do now!)

In the late '80's/early '90's my young family rocked this'79 truck and an '83 Tercel.
We lived in south Seattle at the time, but I worked nearly 60 miles south, in Olympia. My wife pretty much drove the Tercel most of the time, while I drove this:
image.jpg

My wife and I bought the Tercel a bit begrudgingly after having our previous car get wrecked, because it was a Toyota but hating the way it was styled. Always disliked looking at it, till the day we sold it. Today I think they are beautiful!
image.jpg
In 1988 or maybe '87 Seattle was blessed with its largest snowfall in many years...making the commute down I-5 to Olympia for me....interesting....even in the 4wd Toyota truck. My wife was home with our new son and I started communting daily in the Tercel....down I-5 in packed snow and ice with the likes of (then) new Audi Quattros, Jeeps, and other 4wd vehicles. I saw many of them leave the highway, spin-out, and basicslly get stuck that winter....from the heated, always moving comfort of that Tercel!

I was unstoppable, able to make my living, and laugh at the worst weather the pacific northwest could muster thanks to that little car.

We drove that Tercel for several years....but never really being "in love with it", and sold it ultimately to buy an Isuzu Trooper (mistake).

Boy I wish I had that Tercel, AND that truck today......

Looking back at my automotive career, I have owned several vehicles which are now highly desirable, and nearly unobtanium: that Tercel and truck, a Suzuki Samurai, and my second vehicle ever, a 1970 VW Westy.

Today we own 2 Toyota products which I believe MAY be tomorrows next desirable Toyotas....a 2009 Scion xD (now discontinued....excellent vehicle) and a 2011 Yaris LB. Both well crafted-in-Japan Toyotas sporting simple engineering and low maintenance costs, much like our beloved Tercels.

I'm on this site to bone up, and hunt for another Tercel 4wd for camping and poking around the deserts here in the southwest where I now reside.

Thanks for reading my post.

-Gogogordy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Those wheels are amazing, don't think I've seen the like of them!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

welcome, gogogordy. that truck is awesome. i wish vehicles still had those kinds of stripes on them but it's such a thing of the past now.

good luck on your tercel search. are you looking for something mint or are you open to something more utilitarian?
Gogogordy

Post by Gogogordy »

dlb wrote:welcome, gogogordy. that truck is awesome. i wish vehicles still had those kinds of stripes on them but it's such a thing of the past now.

good luck on your tercel search. are you looking for something mint or are you open to something more utilitarian?
Thanks!

Yes, those stripes are somewhat...dated now. In a GOOD way...I'd roll with those proudly anytime.That truck had the factory 40 ch CB radio in it's wood grain dashboard. I was king shizz in that thing.

Not looking for a mint T4, but towards the mintier side of a fixer-upper.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

There are still lots of good Tercel4wd to be had, but you may have to drive to a nearby state to find them. and really nice examples are getting pretty good money sometimes $2000-3000. You have to look far and wide to get a good price on a decent fixer. Often if they cars were poorly cared for they will have a long list of things that need to get fixed, but if the body is rust and dent free, well worth the effort. Most mechancial parts are still available, except for new transmission parts. So look for one with a good transmission, even if ti needs a new engine.

Go look at the "cars for sale" part of this forum, scan local and out of state Craig's list, and watch out for fixers in local back yards and side lots.

Good luck.
UK Tercel 4wd
My tercel:: 1988 rhd standard no mods

Post by UK Tercel 4wd »

Hi everyone iv'e just been accepted on here after joining the Facebook page, i'm looking forward to reading through the forum and chatting all things Tercel 4wd

Are there any other UK members on here ?

UK Tercel 4wd

Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England, UK

I currently own a 1988 Toyota Tercel 4wd estate RHD two tone met blue with factory sunroof and black interior

I have owned 4 other Tercels before 1x1983, 2x1984, 1x 1985, and ive just broke up for spares another 1984 model
Other models that i currently own
1999 Toyota Corolla E11 estate, silver
1977 Datsun 100A f11, white
1973 Triumph Dolomite Sprint, yellow
1971 Triumph 2000 auto , blue
1974 Triumph 2000 auto , white
1975 Triumph 1500 tc auto , green
1980 Triumph 1500hl ,orange
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum UK Tercel!

Glad you have you join. I did not think there were many tercel4wd still running in the UK, lucky you. post pictures when you can.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

The board member Udara spends part of his time in the UK.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZKPZUipHY Another Tercel owner from the UK has just posted a video.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms