Member Profiles

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Re: Member Profiles

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

Hmm, I think the Air Force Base has a auto hobby shop. They probably have the faciilities for old oil there, not to mention a bay with a lift. If that is the case I might tackle the lubrication stuff too. Gonna be very upset if I break a nail with this stuff though. :?
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

Oh, and it's not so much that I don't know how to do it. It's just that I don't have anything to drain the oil into. Living in a RV leaves me little stowage for such items.

I think I might have the answer with the Base hobby shop. Being retired military has it's advantages.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the Club!
Do NOT let a Jiffylube, et al, do a trans oil change. Check out some of the pertinent articles here; there are tricks to this, not the least of which there is the possibility that the refill plugs (made of soft metal with shallow flats) are rounded-off. The plugs are also kinda hard to reach with refiller tubes.
This is one time where, short of doing it yourself and being safe, I think I'd go to a Toy dealer - but TALK to the service manager first about the necessary procedure; many of the wrenches familiar with this car are retired - and the manager himself might be only 35 years old.
Another advantage to being retired military is the still-plentiful number of active bases of various services scattered around - who have commissaries.
I only wore green for six years, but have some friends who are retired from various services and shop at commissaries.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

:D Thankyou for the welcome. I agree, the commissaries are a plus as well as being able to use the BX. I am currently living on base in the RV park. I can even go to the mess hall for a meal when I don't feel like cooking.

I will look into the base auto hobby shop to see if I can do the work there. If not I will go to a dealership to get it done. I promise I won't use Jiffy Lube.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Once you know what size socket to use on the drain plug...you don't even need to put the car up to drain the oil...and the filter is sure easy to get to. There are several car parts places that will recycle old motor oil. Main thing is to USE a washer on the drain plug...
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

Thanks, I just don't want to buy a receptical for the oil. I think doing the job at the hobby shop will take care of that issue.

How hard are the belts to change? Something I have never done.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Your local AFB Hobby Shop has everything you need; curious as to what base is nearest. I spent many a hobby shop weekend while serving at Hanscom and then LA AFBs. They even have epoxy for broken fingernails :wink: . Good luck.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

I am located at McChord AFB near Tacoma WA. The last time I used a hobby shop was in the 80s. A couple of guys I worked with offered to help me rebuild the engine in my MG Midget when it gave up the ghost and I couldn't afford a new car. They helped with the heavy work and let me do most of the rest under instruction. Nobody was more surprised then I was when that thing started up and ran like a top. I put in lower main bearings, new pistons and a rebuilt head.

Hey..I guess I have done belts before....I have no memory of doing that on the midget but I must have.

Bluebelle is a pretty high milage girl, 234,000. I don't know what, if anything has been replaced or repaired on her at this stage, hopefully there will be some documetation in her. I do want to start off our relationship with as much new equipment on her as possible. So along with the standard tune up, cap, rotor, wires, liquids and thermostat. I also want to put new radiator hoses on her and belts if necessary. I am going to check on the cost of getting the radiator serviced (rodded out??) just make sure it is ok although I remember being told that a 90s subaru radiator couldn't be touched because it wasn't designed to be rodded so it needed to be replaced. I have found a new radiator online for about $140 if she needs one.
CMB
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Sr5 5spd

Post by CMB »

<span style='color:blue'>Handle: CMB </span>

<span style='color:blue'>Location (City, State/Prov, Country): Portland, OR </span>

<span style='color:blue'>Tercel(s) owned and modifications done, pictures of Tercel(s) owned (with license plate blurred out): 1984 Toyota SR5 5 spd, gold exterior Wife nicknamed it "Golden Nugget". I have owned it two days, so no mods yet. It is totally original. I am second owner. 228,000 mi on the clock and runs like new, Amazing original paint, but interior has rough areas. </span>

<span style='color:blue'>Other cars currently owned: 1995 Toyota FZJ80 Landcruiser, 1985 FJ60 Landcrusier, 1989 Toyota Camry 5spd, 1987 Toyota Dolphin RV </span>
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

Hey CMB - welcome to the forum!

There are a few other active members from Portland on this list (including myself). You'll find plenty of good information on this forum from some pretty handy people.
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
dirklc
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by dirklc »

Handle: dirklc

Location (City, State/Prov, Country): Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Tercel(s) owned and modifications done, pictures of Tercel(s) owned (with license plate blurred out): 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5...brown (topaz?) and currently stock

Other cars currently owned: 1985 Range Rover Vogue (grey market truck with mods)

I have been on the board for a few months looking for a T4WD. Just trailered this one back from Florida and will be looking to get it road-worthy in the coming weeks and then some restoration/upgrades in the future.
1984 Tercel 4WD SR5
1985 Range Rover
1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
1995 Toyota T100 4WD SR5
Wagon Man
My tercel:: (2) '84 and (2) '86 4wd wagons

EUREKA! Or something like that.

Post by Wagon Man »

Let me just say that I am ham dappy to find this place. Neu, thank you very much for starting this up!

Wagon Man

Proud T4WD owner since Feb 2010. So impressed I bought four more... and I'm not done yet. Gotta name the cars so you know who's driving what.

Chewelah, WA, United States

The present 4WD Wagon Fleet, driven daily:
84 "Patty" - SR5 w/Sunroof - copper two tone - 192K
86 "Betty Jean" - metallic light blue - 187K
85 "Evangeline" - silver - 223K
84 "Mary Ellen" - SR5 - cream - 270K (recent addition, in test and evaluation phase)

Former Assets:
86 "Agnes" - SR5 - metallic light blue - 220K

Other Fleet Vehicles:
03 Chevy Silverado 4x4 ext. cab - Towing rig, using a PJ utility 7x14' flatbed with drop gate. Priceless Fleet asset.
98 Chevy Savana ext. cab - Best runner I've got. Need to find a nuclear reactor that will fit this rig. 13MPG. Ouch.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the list!

Quite a gaggle of Tercels you have there, where are you finding them?

Post pictures please.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
autofix4u
My tercel:: 84 2door, 85 sr5 4x4, 86 4x4 dlx

Post by autofix4u »

Hope this works.

Handle, Autofix4u.

Location, S.W. Missouri

Tercels, Couple of 84 2 door hatchs, 85 SR5 T4, 86 dlx T4, 84 T4 with no badges. and a couple of parts cars.
Past Tercels, Been Riding in working on and driving Tercels since 84.. to many to list.

Other rides, '95 Camry 310k, '77 Mercedes 300D 240K, '85 F250 6.9l IDI 790K, '04 Excursion V10 4x4 98K (wifes ride) with 9 passenger seating. These are the drivers and we have others that see less than 500 miles a year.
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

autofix4u wrote:'85 F250 6.9l IDI 790K
Huh? You have a Ford with almost a million miles on it? That's crazy! You should be featured in an advertisement or something...
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die