Hello from Slovakia

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Hello from Slovakia

Post by Mattel »

Hi Jojo, I think the 4efe is more power than that and is fuel injected and 88hp so more than the Tercel 3ac. but you would need the ecu and fuel pump put into your car! I hope someone else can give you advice on the 3ac
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

check your exhaust valve guides are firmly in place. I have seen the valve guides come loose and start popping up and down with the valve stem. it can run fine, but oil leaks like crazy into cylinder.

review my head gasket procedure in the repair guides section to get it back together. I show how to resurface the head and block with hand tools. you can also hand grind the valve seats too using a grinding compound and spinning the valves in place to polish the seat.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6059
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jojo
My tercel:: 1986 4wd

Post by Jojo »

Thanks, I am gonna check valve guides. Head surface is corroded and after cleaning I am not sure if it is flat enough. (But I did not checked it properly, only by view against sunlight). Today it is last day of summer heat in Slovakia (according to forecast) so I will be able to work in my workshop again. :-)
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Valve guides are good, no movement.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

than likely bad vale seal, or possibly really worn valve guide (though they tend to wear evenly, so odd one would be leaking so much oil). the pressrue galley for the oil supply to the head is up front in the corner, it is possible the seal in the head gasket got compromised and leaked into the front cylinder, though that seems very unlikely. or a possible crack in the oil galley in either the head or block, which is also very unlikely in a Toyota engine. I have never seen a cracked Toyota engine or head, unless it was physically damaged like it broke a connecting rod due to running without oil.

One other possiblity is damage to the #1 cylinder rings, or piston. or badly damaged cylinder bore. I have seen all three cause excessive oil into the combustion chamber.

While it is apart you must determine the cause of the oil getting into the one cyclinder, or you may go to all that trouble and costs and not fix it. If you can not find any problem in the head or valve train you will have to pull at least the # one piston and get a good look at it. You may have to just re-ring, or possibly replace all four pistons.

you can not put it back together until you know you fixed the problem, you will waste time and money if you do not find and fix the cause.

good luck.
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Update:

My options were not hopeless, but a bit expensive.
1. 200 euros for rebuild of cylinder head in Poland (extraction of broken screw, repair of that mess and repair of weared camshaft bearings surfaces). Which was extactly 50 euros more, than I paid for whole car. :-)
2. 75 euros for another used cylinder head from Hungary.
3. Complete engine swap. Corolla engine for about 120 euros.
4. After a month I found a fellow not more than 30 miles away, selling something I could call a rest of Tercel. I made a swap deal with him. My broken Trabant (east German communist two-stroke engine car with trunk filled with spare parts) for his Tercel with working engine + his additional payment. :-)
I tow it home on a bar yesterday evening. I cut my back thigh muscle on windshield glass dropped on seat in a process (4 stitches on ER) :-)

But it seems to be a good deal for me - engine works fine, with no smoke at all. It has original carburetor and other parts, which is a miracle. According to licence plates car was not registered for 20 years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

sounds like you made an excellent trade: a Toyota for an obsolete communist built car. I would make that trade any day.

You will have a lot of other parts you should save off it too, especially save the transmission.

Good you got the car running, and have some spare parts too!
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 5.5 Tercels total... Not enough

Post by Rednecklawrence »

Aww, I feel bad for the red tercel :( poor guy
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Rednecklawrence wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:40 pm Aww, I feel bad for the red tercel :( poor guy
Me too, someone destroyed it just for fun...
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Rednecklawrence wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:40 pm Aww, I feel bad for the red tercel :( poor guy
Everything that could be broken is broken. All lights, bulbs, inclinometer, instrument cluster, etc.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 5.5 Tercels total... Not enough

Post by Rednecklawrence »

Jojo wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:10 pm
Everything that could be broken is broken. All lights, bulbs, inclinometer, instrument cluster, etc.
Well, at least it's giving another Tercel a new outlook on life
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Is this normal or is car repainted from white to green/silver?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

not normal.

looks like the car was repainted, but that looks too clean (and kind of odd). Perhaps an earlier owner had cleaned up a rusty underside when the trans and drive train were out of it, and repainted it white?
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

the only Tercel I have seen with the same front as yours were all painted white. It was a Europe only thing.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

I cleaned it just to be sure about color. I suppose it is original color, too. Maybe one of previous owners had good white and bad green car (but with licence plates) so he made a paint job and result this hybrid. I love cars with history. :-) ).White looks nice, so I am thinking about repainting it back again after bodywork will be done.