3AC & 4AC Coffee Table

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

3AC & 4AC Coffee Table

Post by Jonymoto »

It's not a V8, but it means a lot more than a V8.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: 3AC & 4AC Coffee Table

Post by BaileySims »

That is absolutely amazing!
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Thank you. None of the parts has been been destroyed. So if I'm desperate I can still retrieve them. I got the missus involved. She picked the paint. The pistons move up and down freely by turning the front pulley by hand. I had to put it on wheels because of the weight.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

BRAVO!
I especially liked your line of "It's not a V8, but it means a lot more than a V8."
While perhaps waxing romantically, I know that rings true with many of us.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Congrats to the missus- not many would put up with that. Are valve springs supporting the table top?
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

rer233 - Yes, Valves and springs supporting the top and small hose clamps (Jubilee clamps) holding the valve stems at the bottom of the angle irons. At first the missus thought it was going to look bad, especialyy since it was dirty and greasy, but once I had it all cleaned and degreased she was ok with it as long as she got to pick the colour - Charcoal.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

That is charcoal? it looks greenish to me - even better than just a "natural" finish!
One suggestion, however - while I dunno if you have small children or a dog...perhaps put some sort of rubber/plastic caps on the ends of the valves to avoid a "stabbing." You might drop something under the table and, in raising up, poke yourself!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

The glass top is tinted green. That's probably why it looks a bit green. I have considered putting some plastic plugs on the end of the valve stems. I'm currently looking for something that will fit snugly. I may to to make my own from rubber tubing. Thanks for the suggestion.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Awesome! Very well done. I love it.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Great! would look good in a "man cave", my wife would certainly veto that kind of thing in our house.

when I worked for Nissan's racing prgram, after a crash some of the really big, expensive, wheels were slightly damages so they replaced them. I was able to take one of the damaged ones home to make coffee table out of it (even though I was still in collage and did not have a home yet). Doing that was kind of popular back than, I polished it and it looked shinny and modern. My than girlfriend (now my wife of 34 years) thought it looked kind of cool as a table. I kept it in the family garage for a few years, later I graduated, got married and we bought a house. We were cleaning out my tools and stuff from my parent's garage to move in to mine...and I found the shinny racing wheel on top of the trash can. I grabbed it from the trash and took it back to my pile of stuff...out of the house came my wife's voice "put that back!". It never made its way into our home, but I did find a gear head friend that gave it a good home.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member

Post by Jonymoto »

Petros - My wife takes the view that I'm an engineer and I'm allowed to express myself. She thinks it that it's very clever and creative and very good use of recycled material. I also make most of my own furniture out of wood and this is just another piece of furniture.