1983 Tercel Wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
YoYoTercel
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4x4 SR5

1983 Tercel Wagon

Post by YoYoTercel »

New to this site....but I'm glad to see so much information and experience here. Here's my 1983 Tercel I bought last month. It's a 2 tone silver and dark blue color (dark blue on the hatch and bottom section for car). Paint is in unbelievable condition. It's been sitting covered for a few years and when I got it, it only had 1/2 quarts of oil because the oil plug gasket was worn out and slowly leaking oil. Overall, it's a good condition car and it has a tow bar in the front. I plan on putting a good light bar on this tow bar....something that looks good and functional when I go hiking and camping with this car. Fully loaded with AC and power steering. Just what an old guy like me needs.

One thing I noticed:
When I shift from 1st to 2nd, the car chatters upon the engagement and then it's in gear. What do you think is the cause of this?
Also, on the transmission, how many fill plugs are there? One or two? I understand about the one screw I have to open with 7-8 turns, but I see there are 2 fill plugs???
Also, what's the difference between a fill plug and a fill hole (per manual that I downloaded).

Here's a picture of the car.
Tercel in Garage 1.jpg
I intend to bring it up with the least amount of modifications (except the light bar). Hopefully it will get me around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 1983 Tercel Wagon

Post by Petros »

welcome again,

That is a really nice and clean Tercel4wd, great find. Worth it at any price in that condition.

if the "chatter" is a rough clash type of shift, likely it is worn syncros. If it is occurs when you engage the clutch, likely either there is oil leaking on to the clutch, or the clutch plate is falling apart (I have seen both). Look for oil dripping out of the bell housing, it will make a mess on the diff housing where it leaks out. Source could be the rear "half moon" plug on the back of the valve cover, that is an easy replacement (use lots of sealant), or it could be a bad rear main seal, or trans input shaft seal (though those rarely fail). Likely it is the rear main seal, that is a big job, if you replace it, plan on installing a new clutch, and seals on the transmission since it is easy to replace them when it it is out. there are three output shaft seals (one on each side in the front, and the one rear one), plus the 2wd/4wd selector shaft seal on the side. all of the trans seals are easy to replace, especially with the trans out of the car.

if you determine it is a leaky rear main seal you might try one of the oil seal stop leak products you add to the motor oil. this will soften and swell old stiff seals. sometimes it works fairly well, once the oil leak stops, the clutch sometimes will dry out and stop the chatter (if it is from the oil leak). I would not recommend this if the rear seal is not leaking, it seems softening all of the engine seals is not a good plan for long seal life, but it sometimes works as an interim fix until you need to remove the trans for other heavy maintenance like a new clutch (clutches usually last about 100k miles or more, depending on the driver's shifting skills).

It the chatter occure when you are shifting the lever (not when you engage the clutch), the rough shift is worn or cloggled up syncros. Sometimes that can be cured with an ATF trans flush, put 50/50 mixture of ATF (yes, auto trans fluid) and gear oil (use cheap stuff), and drive it for a few days, go easy on it but get it good and warm at hwy speeds. than drain and refill with quality gear oil. When you refill with pernanate gear oil you can also use 50/50 gear oil and synthetic gear lube (do not use all synthetic, it is too slippery and will likely not shift properly), or use a manual trans oil additive that improves shifting. Usually that works, the only other "fix" is to rebuild the trans and replace the syncros, if you can find any. they have not made any in 30 years or so. There are a few around, but hard to locate.

if the clutch is disintegrating and causing the chatter, your only option is to replace the clutch. best get to that soon, you might b e causing damage to the flywheel, which would need to be resurfaced if badly scored or gouged.

try the simple things first, and than as a last resort you will have to pull the trans. a big job, but with new parts it will be good for another 100k miles.

there are actually three drain plugs on the trans, and three fill plugs, plus several other "plugs" (not not remove any of those, they may hold internal parts in place will cause trouble if you remove them). Drain all three, I always fill from the front plug on the side of the diff housing (left side) next to the CV axle. It is easiest to reach and I can fill from the engine compartment under the hood, rather than being under the car. Use a tube extension and give it time, the gear oil has to go from the front compartment to the gear box and transfercase though some small internal openings. I find it helps to warm the gear oil in the kitchen by putting the gear oil jug in a pot of hot water on the stove. It is still slow filling, so take your time, and make sure you get all 4 liters in it.

good luck. more pictures would be nice.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
YoYoTercel

Post by YoYoTercel »

Ok, I'll keep a close watch on the transmission. Thanks.
Will change Transmission Gear Oil first.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Great find! we never had the two tones in Australia. Electric sunroof is a great option as well! While you are looking at the oil in the transmission dont forget to check the rear diff as well. My previous cars transmission improved a lot with a similar process to what Petros outlines above!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Was the purpose of that long "plate" under the bumper to make it a "tow-behind" car?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
YoYoTercel

Post by YoYoTercel »

20170218_091730.jpg
Yes, the purpose of the long plate was to be towed behind a large motor home. So, this car was used primarily as a secondary/tow vehicle. I was told that most of the mileage was put on mostly by being behind a motor home. According the wife of the late owner, this car was bought because it was light and something about the way the transmission was set up, it could be towed without having to wear out the transmission while it was on tow. I don't know how true it is, but it was mostly used as a tow support vehicle and stored in the warehouse whenever it was not in use. Wow!! When the senior owner passed away, the wife wanted to get rid of the car because she always thought it was an "ugly" car. The General Manager of the couple's company bought this car and he lived on a steep hill. However, he barely got this 62 HP car up to his house. He felt so embarrassed that he kept it quiet and left the car sitting in his porch for the next 2 years - plus he had 4 other 4WD trucks/vehicles. Finally, he sold it to me. Haha.

Here is a closer picture of the tow bar with the accessories to attach to a standard tow receiver rig. I believe this was a custom made tow bar for the car. I am thinking about putting a tastefully offered LED light bar, but then...I might just leave it as it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The bar could serve as a great mount for driving lights!
I can't imagine how steep of a hill that manager had - I wonder if he knew about the extra low gear?
Well, you lucked out! How many miles are on it?
How about a pix of the interior to make us all jealous?
:oops: I just now noticed that you ID'd the bar in your first post. :oops:
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
YoYoTercel

Post by YoYoTercel »

Did a few basic tune-up for the Tercel and it already runs better. A new radiator and fuel filter helped the most. Now I have to change the Catalytic Converter, muffler and pipes because it's old. After that it's over to the smog shop for emissions. Hopefully it will pass. Here is the car....still in it's condition when I received it. No time to wash, but a good coat of wax after washing should make it look good.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Nice find. I really like the colour scheme.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5 Wagon : "The Brochure Car"

Post by bryanthompson »

What a lovely car. This is jus about what mine will look like when finished!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5528
YoYoTercel

Post by YoYoTercel »

Thanks Marlinh and Brian.
I hope that your project with your Tercel (Brian Thompson) goes by smoothly. You have the same exact color and options as my Tercel! Your documentation of the history of your Tercel was very interesting to read. Thanks for sharing.

I will post more pictures as I get further down in time. Right now I have to do a front end suspension on my Volvo.