LED Dash Lights conversion

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: LED Dash Lights conversion

Post by Gottolovem »

You have to do it "blind" reach in there get a feel the little "pin" on the cable and pull it then the cable will slide right off :oldgeek:
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

Hey newplaner;
Gotolovem summed it up perfectly, that's what you have do, pull iit out as far as you can until you reach in behind and unclip the Speedo cable.
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member

Post by oldfaithful »

Hi newplaner:
Did you get your speedometer cable unhooked so you could remove your dash?
newplaner
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel wagon

Post by newplaner »

Thanks for the replies guys. Bin sick as a dog for a week withe flu. Will give it a shot hopefully real soon.
Just the one pin?
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member

Post by oldfaithful »

Hey newplaner:
Hope you're feeling better. It's actually a plastic
clip that is on the speedometer cable housing on the end and you have to squeeze it to disconnect it from the dash, and once you release it, the dash will come out.
Buzzard67
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel Delux

Post by Buzzard67 »

Hi, its been awhile since I've posted or been on site.
I just wanted to say those interior instrument lights kick ass, I love the look of them. What color are they ? They look green or are they white ?
How hard was it to get to the lights to replace them ? If you have time could you give me a quick step by step to get to them. What about the cost ?
Once again well done very cool !!
Later Buzzard
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it is fairly simple to access the instrument cluster, just a few minutes with a philips screw driver. As I reacall, you uncrew the hood over the cluster, two screws on each lower corner, two above the face on the under side of the hood. YOu also have to pull the little knobs off (do not loose them!). and pull a couple of electrical connectors (push on the little tab to release the connectors). Than the cluster itself is easy to remove with four screws, they you pop off the speed do cable (you have to reach your hand behind it and depress the plastic clip on the end of the cable) and than you unplug several connectors.

inclinometer and heater control panel is even easier, just some screws that allow you to remove the panel and expose the lights. I really only takes about ten min to get it apart and back together once you locate all the screws.

there might be a thread on this topic somewhere in the archives, with pictures if I remember correctly.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)