86 fwd to 4wd conversion.

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
newplaner
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel wagon

86 fwd to 4wd conversion.

Post by newplaner »

A new member here. Just purchased a 86 fwd wagon automatic. Was looking for a SR5 but this vehicle caught my eye. It only has 40K miles on it with absolutely zero rust. Engine still runs like new. It needed new struts and brakes to make it road worthy. Just the odd bump and bruise otherwise.
As much as I enjoy driving this car, I would love it to be a 4wd manual. I have been reading the various posts and see that the conversion can be done. My brother is a mechanic and would do most of the work( I might help a little ).
However, it runs so well as it is I am hesitant. Should I do it? Or keep looking for another 4wd?
Also, the best place to obtain the 4wd tranny? Anybody know of any? How much should I expect to pay?
Oh, I live in Canada. Near Niagara Falls. If that has any bearing on your answers.
Hope to hear from you experts.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: 86 fwd to 4wd conversion.

Post by rer233 »

Welcome to the site. Wow- 30+ year old car with 40 K on it- what a find! (wanna sell it?) Far as converting it to 4WD- ain't gonna happen. EVERYTHING below the windows from the firewall back is different- suspension, fuel tank, seats etc. Just get under your car and see if a drive shaft could get to a rear axle. My advice is enjoy your find (or possibly convert it to M/T if you're so inclined) and look for a 4 WD terc. Actually,I have an '87 FWD A/T wagon that I thoroughly enjoy. Again- welcome!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
newplaner

Post by newplaner »

I see the problem. I misread another post. Thought I read that it was converted from FWD to manual 4WD. But it is only says manual, not 4WD. Just wishing I guess.
So, another question. If I do convert to manual FWD, will it take care of the high RPMs at highway speed? That would be a huge benefit for me. How many gears do the FWD manuals have.
Used to have a 87 SR5. Loved it. Let it rust out about 16 years ago. Go figure.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

when I did my 4a motor swap last spring I also upgraded to some 185-70-14 tires,cruses nicely on the highway now and my speedo is now reading correct with my gps and lowered my rpms
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
newplaner

Post by newplaner »

Ya. Don't really want to swap the engine. It runs so nice. But I did upgrade to 14 inch rims.
But I would like to know how you took a photo of the tach/speedo doing 120 kph. Sounds a little.... dicey.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

wasn't a problem,divided highway,no traffic,,
Hiro
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel FWD 5spd

Post by Hiro »

Ohh fancy tach. Sorry to derail, but is the tachometer cluster a "drop in"? All I have is the speedo, not that I need the tach, but it would be a "nice have" I figure I'd have to piggy back the signal wire for the tach to the distributor or how does the factory tach operate?
'86 T2 DLX (114,000 miles and counting)
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member

Post by rer233 »

SRr5 cluster is strictly drop in, plug n play no wiring mods needed. Just have to move one of the connectors from one side of the pedal ass'y to the other. Plus you get a digital clock too!
85 SR5 Blue
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
Hiro
Advanced Member

Post by Hiro »

Oh man. 2017 Christmas wish list has already started! Thanks rer233 :)
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

From memory, I think you will need both the instrument cluster and the surround /cover around it because the surround on the DLX model is different. I bought an SR5 cluster from a wrecker recently. He didn't send me the surround plus the idiot sent it in the post just bubble wrapped and it got broken. Naturally it wasn't his fault he said and the thing was useless to me. So make sure you get the complete unit.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the auto trans has a low ratio ring and pinon on the diff because it only has three speeds, if you swap in a 5 speed manul with the correct front diff assembly it will reduced highway cruise RPM. there is also a 4 speed available, I think the 5 speed is likely more common (the 4 speed only came in the bottom of the line, stripped model, not even carpets). Though finding any good transmissions for a 35 years old econo-box may be a problem, best to try and buy a whole car out of someone's back field, that way you will have all the parts (clutch pedal assembly, shift console, etc), and a lot of mechanical spares that you can keep for future use.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member

Post by rer233 »

Jonymoto wrote:From memory, I think you will need both the instrument cluster and the surround /cover around it because the surround on the DLX model is different. I bought an SR5 cluster from a wrecker recently. He didn't send me the surround plus the idiot sent it in the post just bubble wrapped and it got broken. Naturally it wasn't his fault he said and the thing was useless to me. So make sure you get the complete unit.

At first glance, it'll appear the "surrounds" are different between SR5 and DLX clusters, but on close examination, you'll find there are 2 small inserts near the bottom of it that can be swapped out to allow the trip odo and clock reset knobs to protrude thru the surround. If you can't get the SR5 inserts, a little drill and Dremmel work can modify the DLX inserts to work.

Hope this helps.
85 SR5 Blue
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
newplaner

Post by newplaner »

Thanks Petros. I have come to that conclusion. Rather than switching the tranny out of a 40K vehicle, I'm just gonna have to find me an SR5.
The one I want is out there. I know it.
Hiro
Advanced Member

Post by Hiro »

I love the sharing of tribal knowledge here. Thank you :)

GL on your search newplaner :)
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
newplaner

Post by newplaner »

Okay Petros. Found my SR5.
Another question. Still trying to find a way to combine my two tercs.
" Can I switch the 86 auto fwd body and engine, with only 40K on it, onto the chassis and drivetrain of an 83 SR5( with shot engine )" ?