Newly Aquired 1983 SR5 Wagon, What Seats are these

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Mezzbob
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 Wagon

Newly Aquired 1983 SR5 Wagon, What Seats are these

Post by Mezzbob »

Front passenger Seat damage 1983 Toyota Tercel.JPG
Hi everyone. I am a newly joined member to these forums but I have referenced these forums for some time now. I grew up with these Tercel SR5 Wagons all over our house and my dad always had at least 2 sitting around.

My father is retiring at the start of February and I decided to go find him a nice SR5 wagon to play with and work on during his retirement. Great little car for our area, we live in Washington State so always good for ski season when headed up to the slopes.

I came across a very clean 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 in Taylorsville NC with 172,000 original miles. I quickly bought it the next day. Its currently shipping to me now and will arrive next week. The info for the Tercel is below, I ran a car fax and it appears to have been in NC for the entirety of its existence. The build date was December 28th 1982.

1983 Toyota Tercel SR5
VIN# JT2AL35W3D0016119

I noticed in the original pictures there were some tears in the front passenger seat but I also immediately noticed the seats were not original SR5 seats as they are a two ton Beige and brown vinyl. I have attached pictures of the front seats and the rear seats. I am trying to figure out if anyone else has seen these seats before and from what car did they come out of as I am assuming they were from a similar era Toyota. I will have a little over 3 weeks once I receive it to either get the passenger seat repaired at a local upholstery shop or order some nice customer front seat covers before my father retirement party. Problem is I cant look into seat covers If I don't know what model cars seats I am referring too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: Newly Aquired 1983 SR5 Wagon, What Seats are these

Post by rer233 »

Welcome to the site! Seats appear to be from an '83 or '84 4WD DLX. I assume the rear seat fits properly, so I can't imagine them coming from anything but a T4. Maybe the REAL early SR5's had vinyl, but all the SR5's I've ever seen had cloth. Too bad you're on the other side of the country (I'm in Baltimore, MD) I've got a decent pair of cloth beige front seats out of my long-departed '84 SR5. Don't have the rear seat 'tho- sold it years ago. Props to you for getting Dad a retirement gift I'm sure he'll appreciate!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Mezzbob

Post by Mezzbob »

Thank you for the response! I will do some searching to see if I can find any DLX photos with seats like this.

I know for a fact no Tercel SR5 Wagons came in vinyl and and all of the SR5 models had the handles on the sides of the front seats which these do not so that rules out someone having had all the original seat reupholstered at some point.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

those are DLX seats, as stated above. the vinyl usually does not hold up well, particularly in cold climates (they crack and fall apart). could use some seat covers for a temp improvement, but you really need the picnic blanket type fabric seats to make it original.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mezzbob

Post by Mezzbob »

Petros and rer233 you are both correct. I agree if I wanted to make it original I would need to go back to the plaid cloth seats. After doing some extensive searching I was able to determine the seats in the SR5 I just got came out of a 1984 DLX 4WD wagon. Until it arrives at my place next week I cant say first hand how the condition of the rest of the seats are but from all the pictures and those I spoke to about it I am told the rest of the vinyl is in excellent condition and the damage to the one seat was caused more by something slitting it then that of it cracking. Luckily it does not get super cold or hot over here in Washington state, most times the weather in Winter is high 30's to mid 40's and summers your only in the 70's and 80's so fairly mild climate temperature wise so I assume the vinyl should be ok for awhile.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

These seats look like the ones in my dlx Tercel, except for the stripes. Mine is made of cloth, not vinyl though
DSCF2656.JPG
DSCF2654.JPG
:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

My '84 DLX seats look like the ones in your photos at the top of this thread. They are fabric in the middle sections and vinyl down the edges.
Mezzbob

Post by Mezzbob »

Mark that's what I thought they were as well. The dealer told me they were vinyl. It I could swear the center section was cloth!

Well that makes me even happier as the only concer the upholster mentioned was the thought that the surround sections if they were vinyls could be old enough that unstitching to remove the torn sections and re stitching new vinyl in could be troublesome because the older vinyl can become brittle over time. If it's cloth in the center there should really be no issue.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Far as I know all US spec '83 and '84 DLX's had vinyl inserts and vinyl bolsters. Mark any Jonyomoto have non-USA spec cars- my money's on full vinyl.(Sorry.)
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Mezzbob wrote:
Front passenger Seat damage 1983 Toyota Tercel.JPG
Hi everyone. I am a newly joined member to these forums but I have referenced these forums for some time now. I grew up with these Tercel SR5 Wagons all over our house and my dad always had at least 2 sitting around.

My father is retiring at the start of February and I decided to go find him a nice SR5 wagon to play with and work on during his retirement. Great little car for our area, we live in Washington State so always good for ski season when headed up to the slopes.

I came across a very clean 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 in Taylorsville NC with 172,000 original miles. I quickly bought it the next day. Its currently shipping to me now and will arrive next week. The info for the Tercel is below, I ran a car fax and it appears to have been in NC for the entirety of its existence. The build date was December 28th 1982.

1983 Toyota Tercel SR5
VIN# JT2AL35W3D0016119

I noticed in the original pictures there were some tears in the front passenger seat but I also immediately noticed the seats were not original SR5 seats as they are a two ton Beige and brown vinyl. I have attached pictures of the front seats and the rear seats. I am trying to figure out if anyone else has seen these seats before and from what car did they come out of as I am assuming they were from a similar era Toyota. I will have a little over 3 weeks once I receive it to either get the passenger seat repaired at a local upholstery shop or order some nice customer front seat covers before my father retirement party. Problem is I cant look into seat covers If I don't know what model cars seats I am referring too.

That's a DLX model. Vinyl seats were only standard on DLX models and Cloth was standard on SR5 and optional on DLX. Fun Fact: The JDM Sprinter Carib equivalent of the DLX model was the AV-I.
K-Business