Hello from North Carolina!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Hiro
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel FWD 5spd

Hello from North Carolina!

Post by Hiro »

Hello everyone! My name is Hiro. I just purchased a 1986 DLX Wagon today and wanted to say hello. It's really clean inside with only two previous owners (the first owner maintained the vehicle for 28 years until February earlier this year, and the second owner sold it to me today). I've been interested in the 4WD SR5 for a long time, but being in the Southeastern part of the US there's very few examples that are in a worthy condition to buy/maintain/restore. This FWD models will be my first introduction to the older Toyotas and I hope it will serve me well as it is going to replace my 1992 EG hatch for Daily Duty by the end of the year. The Tercel is pretty fun so far. I love how useful the hatch and 4 doors is. The car drives smooth and has working AC! Interior is super clean and the rust is pretty superficial on the lower rear quarters. Previous owner replaced the alternator, battery, and new tires on the 13"s :) The suspension is shot, so I'll be debating what to do with replacing the shocks/springs/bushings. Kind of want to do a 2-3" lift and put some LT tries on them, but I'm afraid that the tires will be too big and rub inside the fender wells. I'm always on the look out for a parts car as I'd eventually love to swap in the SR5 AWD drivetrain. Also have a set of E30 bottlecaps thats I'd love to throw on the car, but i'm not sure the offset is correct and that fitment will work, so I'll experiment with that later. I've read a lot of the FAQs and maintenance, including reading some of the shop manual pages (Thanks for hosting that on this forum!!!). I really look forward to owning this vehicle for many years to come. I'm honestly surprised that I haven't seen any crazy RWD swaps with SR20DETs, 4AGE, or F20C/F22C1... 200 hp in this chassis would make it really fly! :)

Current DD is a '92 Civic VX. It's a clean chassis with built suspension on a stock 90hp drivetrain. It's fantastic being light weight with excellent handling. My buddy came across a screaming deal on a 200hp H22 motor and LSD transmission that we plan on dropping in it so we can get into motorsports like we've always discussed.

I have some motorsports experience. My other verhicle is a 2005 Corvette. I'm not really a corvette guy, but something about this particular car when I saw it just felt right. Previous owner built it up with bolt ons; 500hp and tons of fun. But it's low, loud, and drinks a lot of gas, so I usually only drive it a couple days a week...

I have 13 years of automotive experience with most of my cars being from the 80's and 90's (Mazda, Honda, Porsches).

Pictures to follow. :) There's not a lot of information out there outside this forum from what I've gathered so far regarding these awesome Tercel wagons. Thank you for this community everyone. I look forward to immersing myself in this niche community. :)
'86 T2 DLX (114,000 miles and counting)
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Re: Hello from North Carolina!

Post by Tercel__jon »

What part of NC are you in? Im around Durham mostly. I know of another member that has one in raleigh but hasnt posted in a long time. I also occasionally see a gold one around.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Welcome to the site- lots of helpful people and info here. Hate to rain on your parade, but swapping a 4WD drivetrain into your FWD wagon is gonna be pretty much impossible. Check out the recent thread by jcham89508 (I'd post a link but can't- too stupid.) I'd suggest you enjoy your wagon the way it is, and continue your search for a T4. My first Terc wagon was a M/T FWD (bought for a former GF) and I currently have an '87 FWD A/T wagon which I really enjoy. As far as tires go, I put a set of 195/70's on Miata 14" daisys on the FWD wagon and the tires BARELY clear the lower spring seats in the rear. Get a little bit of rub in the front with the steering at full lock and pulling into a driveway. Makes the car ride alot better than the puny 155/80 13's it came with.

Hope this helps- enjoy!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Hiro
Advanced Member

Post by Hiro »

Durham you say? I picked up mine from a nice younger couple near ninth Street in Durham. I currently reside in Cary, NC. Would love to pick your brain in person concerning these cars if you are mechanically familiar with them, Tercel_Jon.

I don't intend to do anything crazy with this. It'll be nice to have something factory reliable since everything else I have will be modified. The electronic choke does struggle some on cold starts. I'm concerned when it might not start if it gets below 40 outside...

1. Passenger axel is shot and needs replacing.
2. Rear wheel bearings need replacing
3. Fresh fluids would probably help. Coolant flush, oil change, and trans/dif fluid change.
4. Suspension is likely all original. Probably get GR2 struts, replace the mounts, and call it good 'nuff.
5. Patch rear lower rust panels.
6. Clean up the window regulators. Each one has its own problems...
7. Heard some exhaust leaks. I'll patch weld what I can. Need to try to find a newer civic si oem exhaust. Those cans are super cheap on Craigslist and great OEM Honda quality.

That's pretty much the tinkering list for now. There's some non critical stuff I want to do, but these are the priorities....

Maybe one day I'll either upgrade the carb or look into a FI swap... Might have to tinker with the electronic choke or swap for an old fashion pull choke before winter settles in... Never really messed with carbs outside of lawn mowers and 22cc weed eaters... It can't be that bad.... :lol:
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ Hiro:
Re your point #4 above:
1. IMPORTANT! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3171&hilit=sway+bar
2. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5489&p=40081&hilit=sway+bar#p40081 ESP the third link with its photos!
Tom M.

P.S. Welcome to the Club!
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Hiro
Advanced Member

Post by Hiro »

Thanks Archinstl, Definitely read about that and will be addressing it in the near future :) Good point mentioning it again :)

I'm curious about the 2WD suspension options. It seems that to get about 1"-2" lift would be to source front 4WD struts and use a strut spacer for the rear and if I lift the front more than 1" then I'll have to drop the trans accordingly to save the axle.

I searched 13 pages of 2WD threads and there's very little discussion on it. Not trying to be that new guy that makes the veterans repeat themselves (not asking for info here. Maybe this is how I record and document my own discoveries). So. Hopefully after the holidays pass, I'll be able to throw some love at it.

Question
1. Rock Auto isn't very good at distinguishing what's for the 2WD model and what's for the 4WD model. I'm hoping that this SURTRACK/TRAKMOTIVE TO 8039 is the correct axle for my 2WD Tercel? (Link: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyo ... embly,2288)
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Hiro wrote:Durham you say? I picked up mine from a nice younger couple near ninth Street in Durham. I currently reside in Cary, NC. Would love to pick your brain in person concerning these cars if you are mechanically familiar with them, Tercel_Jon.
Interesting. Im not in durham much except for work, and then Im mostly passing through to south durham, live up near roxboro, just over the person/durham county lines. I saw a silver 2wd a few months ago. Doubt yours is silver though. Cant wait for pictures.

I know a bit. Not as much as a few members on here, but Ive rebuilt mine a few times, and definitely have experience under the hood. If you need parts, Ive got an 85 2wd parts car. I also know of a few places around here that have a few stashed away.

Minus the rust you're describing, it all seams like it could be taken care of on a saturday, or at the least, over a weekend. I have multiple stock carbs that Im not using, so your choke issue can be easily solved. Suspension is a couple bolts, and while your in there, can replace the cv axle.

Hows the down pipe on the exhaust right before the cat? Its rusted on both my wagons.

Shoot me a PM and Ill help with what I can. My home shop is always open to tercels.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Hiro,

the same model years 2wd and 4wd front axles are the same, so there would not be any reason to call it out. all front axles are interchangeable with the second generation Tercel.

Also, I would advise on the suspension that before you make any mods, make sure you verify that all of the ball joints, rod ends, bushings, etc are all in good condition first. Fix that first, and gets some alloy wheels, particularly 14" wheels, and it will improve the handling considerably (the stock steel 13" wheels are noticeably flexy so it helps to get a tall and stiffer alloy wheel). You would use a lower profile tire so you have the approx same rolling dia as the stock size tires.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Hiro
Advanced Member

Post by Hiro »

Well. The confusing thing is if you look at the pictures on rock auto, the specs for all the CV Axles are not the same.

SURTRACK/TRAKMOTIVE TO8039 Does Not Include ABS Ring Front Right - (TO-8039): Compressed Overall Length 26-25/32"

EMPIRE 806138 Front Right - (80-6138): Compressed Overall Length 26-15/16"

There's more than 1/8" difference in compressed OAL between the two for just the Front Right axle.

The Spline counts are the same for each though.

The front left are different too, though the SURTRACK Axle is only 1/32" shorter than the EMPIRE, an insignificant difference.

I'll order the SURTRACKS and compare it to the factory axle when I pull it. They are also the "most loved" part on the site, so the majority of buyers can't be wrong here right? *chuckle*

I'm also confused because under Spindle Nut, there's two different sizes called out: DORMAN 615102 (M20 -1.5) and DORMAN 05104 (M19-1.5). How can both axle nuts for the front be different sizes? haha...

Thank you for the kind offer Tercel_jon. I'd love to drive out to you one day, especially if I can possibly buy some parts off the parts car...
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
Hiro
Advanced Member

Post by Hiro »

She's very dirty, but i think the paint will look good with a nice wash, claybar/buff, and sealant. Interior is really clean. Seats are comfortable with no tears or rips. No foul smells. Small stain on the front passenger under the backrest area, but not noticeable. Carpet is thin, but not bad. The headliner could use a good wipe down, but again, not sagging or torn or stained. Original radio is awesome. Works great! I have a newer radio with AUX In, USB, and SD card reader... This model only has 2 speakers in the dash and I'll likely keep it that way for a while. Would be nice to put a 4.1 system in it once I get all the mechanical stuff taken care of... Maybe if someone has a parts car that has clean rear fenders, I can cut off the cancer on this one and weld in a factory replacement. Otherwise, I'm going to cut it off and just sheet metal it. Won't be entirely pretty, but it'll fix the holes and get her solid again. I'm afraid to look in the rain gutters near the doors. They're clogged as to be expected... hopefully the rust isn't too bad. :/ Rear bumper is rusting out from behind as well and exhaust leaks everywhere. I picked it up with 85 miles less than seen on the odometer there (reset it to start tracking mileage).

The first two blower positions stopped working. So no Low or Medium fan settings. Just High and Hurricane modes for the fan setting. :( Also, all the windows need to be reworked. None of them want to roll down with any effort, and the front driver's window will come off it's track. One day I'll have to take all that apart, clean, regrease, and fix/replace the broken bits. I don't know what it is about it, but it's fun to drive...

'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, that interior is certainly clean! And - you even have the luggage cover! The underside looks nice as well.
At 114K, it is barely broken in.
I do not think anyone here has ever mentioned the "SURTRACK/TRAKMOTIVE TO8039 Does Not Include ABS Ring Front Right," front axles, but the reference to the ABS ring is "interesting," as our Tercs never has ABS. Did Gen III or IV or V?
I used GSP new back in 2007 from RA (now available from Advance).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

OH MY GOD! I saw this very wagon cruising down I40 several months ago!

I was SO stoked to see one since I hardly ever do. I honked and waved, she didnt wave back. Probably cause I was in the work truck, Oh well.

FYI she was getting it. Cruising along at 75 without issue from what I can tell. I was amazed it had the parcel shelf.

The rear bumper rusting out is a common thing. But occasionally a good one can be found. Taking it apart and painting it would help them last. My parts car does have clean rear fenders. Im 75% sure I wont need them for my 85's resto.

The blower motor is the relay, Im pretty sure there are a few documented repairs here on the board. Im getting ready to fix that issue myself, that 2nd to highest setting is too much right now.

The window mechanisms are ridiculously simple. Pop the panels off, and lube the tracks. As for the one that wants to come off, it might be missing a bolt that holds it on the track.

They are very fun to drive! SO happy this one went to a good home!
Hiro
Advanced Member

Post by Hiro »

Oh my goodness! That's the previous owner all right! Shes an attorney and works in down town Raleigh, commuting from Durham. That's definitely my car now. :). Nice lady.

My friends are begging me to sell it and get something else. "It's not even a 4WD!" they say to me. My girlfriend is the only one supportive of this purchase/adventure. Yeah the 4WD SR5 would have been awesome, but everyone seems to think they have a $3-5k car that's in reality is in no better shape than the Tercel I now own. I think this one is awesome. I didn't want to pay a lot for something old as I am and needing a ton of work. I see this as an opportunity to learn what I can about these cars and know roughly what I'm getting myself involved with before trying to save a 4WD variant.

Getting the suspension overhauled is the first start. Needs new everything and I'd like to get the lift done since it's all going to be replaced. I have a friend with an '86 MR2 parts car, so I'm stoked to do the '92 Tercel rotor and AW11 front caliper swap Petros posted.

Jon, I'm always available to lend a hand or to entertain. Anytime you want to get together and work on cars or whatever, hollar at me and we can make it happen. I'm going to be busy this weekend helping a friend finish up his CJ7 restoration. (1977 Jeep CJ7 with a Mercedes-Benz diesel swap, frame off restoration). Hopefully the weather holds up...

I finally have a rear wiper fixed. It was missing the adapter to go to a wiper blade. Previous owner purchased a blade for the hatchback and not the wagon. Got the adapter off rock auto for about $1.20. wasn't a direct fit on the new wiper, so I dremelled some excess plastic off the adapter and now everything works like it should. :) Pics to follow tomorrow. Rear glass spray nozzle even works! Hot dog!!!
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
Hiro
Advanced Member

Post by Hiro »

Changed out the transmission fluid with some standard GL5 stuff. Shifts noticeably better, but the 2nd gear synchro is still worn out (nothing double clutching doesn't fix). Did a good once over on the car. Other than front tie rods and struts, the car is in pretty good shape. The bushings are old but not terrible. Wheel bearings are sound. The rear drums have even seen some recent work! I spent a couple hundred $$$ on new seals, wheel bearings, drums and brake components, etc, thinking they'd all need to be replaced, but they are doing well. I've got tie rods, struts and springs on order, a new rear wheel cylinder ( i think driver side rear brake cylinder is bad), new coolant hoses, t-stat, housing, and gasket. Those should clear up all the immediate issues with the car. Took off the door panels and lubed up all the window guides, greased up all the rollers, and the windows all work smooth as butter (for now). 3 of the windows have serious warping in the rubber window tracks where they curl up and out of the metal tracks. The windows will work for now with ease, but I know the correct fix will be to somehow keep those rubber guides in the tracks. Maybe I'll take the tracks off in the summer and add a low profile rivet to help keep them in place while I look for a universal window rubber guide kit/trim.
'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)
Hiro
Advanced Member

Post by Hiro »

I forgot to mention, the muffler fell off. Literally. So I'm going to head out to LKQ and see about picking up an OEM muffler from some car out there for $15. Can't beat OEM quality or the affordable pricing from a local pick and pull. Will likely have to get an adapter from the factory 1.75" piping to a 2" or 2.25" for the muffler, but should be in it for only $20 by the end of the day.

Also received the latest shipment of parts. The list is huge, but the major items include thermostat, T-housing, new coolant hoses for upper and lower radiator, all new KYB suspension components for the front and rear, tie rods (inner/outer), and really cost effective Bosch wiper blades :P Still waiting on springs from Summit racing.

'90 EE4 RT4WD
'92 EG VX Hatch
'95 YJ 4.0L
'05 C6 Z51 (460rwhp)