Saved Another One From The Crasher

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Saved Another One From The Crasher

Post by Petros »

but why? you would gain weight, and lose range.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Here are some of my thoughts, even though I haven't really done a lot of research into the electric conversion:-
1. Our Tercel is about 28 - 33 years old and it's getting very hard to get parts. Replacing the engine with an electric motor would help and will keep the car going.
2. For those that only drive short distances, the range is not a problem. Most of us have 2 cars in the family and not both are doing long distances everyday.
3. Cheaper motoring, once the conversion has been done (this is no different to buying a newer car in order to get better fuel efficiencies),
especially if you have solar panels on your roof. Currently I get 6 cents for every Kw I send to the grid from my panels and they charge me 40 cents/kw that I use from the grid. I would rather use this electricity to charge my own batteries than give it away.
4. Less parts, less maintenance and cost
5. The Tercel might not be the most appropriate car for a conversion, but it's the car that we want to keep and it has adequate space for batteries. Getting rid of the engine, exhaust, fuel tank and 50L of fuel would help to compensate for the weight of the batteries.
6. To pass emission laws.
7. One less polluting cars in the world. I've read that in Japan there are now more charging stations than petrol stations.
8. Some of us like to keep ourselves busy by undertaking a long term project, and this would be ideal. Some have converted their cars by installing more powerful corolla engine. These are getting hard to find as well. It would be easier to connect an electric motor to our gearbox than a newer engine.
9. I magine an electric motor would develop more than the 52kw that the 3AC is capable of. Also more torque at the lower end.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

viewtopic.php?t=2875 There was this gent back in the day. unfortunatly the link to the article is dead

Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

Thanks Matt. You must have a photographic memory. I guess he didn't join the forum nor did a write up for the club. That would've been very interesting.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Thanks - but I still have trouble finding my keys and learning Japanese!, I seem to remember this tercel had an electric motor powering the rear diff with the driveshaft removed and the original petrol in the front and being able to shift from one engine and driven wheels too the other. which would make it a bit simpler I imagine. so still 4wd! I'm not 100% about it though.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
mattiasvinge
My tercel:: Tercel 86 (for fun), Tercel 86 (for every day use), Tercel 86 (girlfriend's)

Post by mattiasvinge »

Snapchat-3999072109841702955.jpg
Wow 500k, thats sick, here in Norway they are only rust after 300k and the gearbox starts to loose 5th gear. My friend bought on yesterday with only 135000km!! Not so much rust. Price 18000,- NOK thats about 2100$ and is expensive in Norway
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tercel 86 (for fun), Tercel 86 (for every day use), Tercel 86 (girlfriend's), Corvette C3 Stingray 76(for making my life a hell):D
mattiasvinge
My tercel:: Tercel 86 (for fun), Tercel 86 (for every day use), Tercel 86 (girlfriend's)

Post by mattiasvinge »

This is the available tercels in Norway, normaly there is one or zero :|
Screenshot_20161130-141357.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tercel 86 (for fun), Tercel 86 (for every day use), Tercel 86 (girlfriend's), Corvette C3 Stingray 76(for making my life a hell):D
mattiasvinge

Post by mattiasvinge »

Jonymoto wrote:It also has a small crack in the windscreen and a faint noise from the gearbox which disappears when the clutch pedal is depressed.
Im trying to change my windscreen today :)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you can still get all the engine parts you want on the Tercel4wd. The trans parts are the problem, and you still have to have that I would think with an electric conversion. also the 4wd feature adds weight, so a lighter 2wd car might be a better choice.

Beside, electric cars are not "zero emissions" all you do is transfer the burning of fuel to a remote power station. In fact electric cars take more resources to operate over their useful life. It is a stupid marketing lie that it is "efficient" or "zero emissions". you still have to make the eletricity, and unless it comes from a hydro-eletric plant, you have to burn fuel to make electricity. Plus the cost and weight of the batteries (and the really big hazard too!).

The only zero emissions car would be one that runs on pure hydrogen gas, which could be done with an internal combustion engine with fuel injection (with a conversion kit). but finding H2 gas is not so handy. I thought about making my Tercel duel fuel, propane (which I can buy almost anywhere, and I have a 500 gallon tank of it on my property), and hydrogen that I would generate myself from well water. Than I would not have to ever visit a gas station, or ever pay gasoline taxes again.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

An electric motor has WAY to much torque fo a t4 tranny would tear it up!
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Gottolovem wrote:An electric motor has WAY to much torque fo a t4 tranny would tear it up!
That is actually a good point. It would have to either be torque limited, or have a torque releasing clutch to preserve the transmission. Getting complicated. :(
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Hold on to her! She's a beaut! Wish I could've saved some I saw at Rich's Auto Parts in Hudson, MA, USA that were about to be crushed! :'(
K-Business
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

What kind of asshole would throw away a mint condition Tercel 4wD?!
K-Business