2wd to 4wd conversion???

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
jcham89508
My tercel:: 1983, 1985 X2, 1984, 1986

2wd to 4wd conversion???

Post by jcham89508 »

I have a 84' hatch that is structurally sound and a 85 4wd wagon that is rusted out and could have potentially been used as a back stop for batting cage back stop.... What would be involved in swapping the 4wd drive train to the hatch back? I have searched the forums and not found any info about a build like this. Given I have two complete cars I think I have the majority of the parts required. I'm thinking that at a minimum some floor pan work will be required to accommodate the 4wd trans and rear drive shaft as well as some rear end modifications and fabrication to accommodate the driven rear axle. Why do it? Why not?
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: 2wd to 4wd conversion???

Post by rer233 »

Pretty much impossible- EVERYTHING aft of the firewall and below the windows is completely different between 2WD and 4WD. Complete floorpan, fuel tank placement, fuel filler (on opposite rear fenders), exhaust, rear suspension, brakes- everything. Even the rear seats are completely different. Good idea (I had the same thoughts years ago) but it ain't gonna happen!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the forum,

it would be a big job, lots of cutting and welding. It sounds like most of the body pan on the 4wd one is already rusty. it would actually be less work to take the rusty one apart and weld up all the rust.

What will be worth it is to find another TErcel4wd with a trashed engine or trans, and use your rust bucket as a parts car. When the trans goes out it is difficult to find a good replacement (all the used trans are the same age), so you sometimes can find a decent one with a bad transmission.

Where are you located? Parts cars show up on Craig's list in Oregon, Washington state, and Idaho real regularly.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
jcham89508
My tercel:: 1983, 1985 X2, 1984, 1986

Post by jcham89508 »

So it is possible. Cutting, welding & some heavy fabrication? Sounds like a good time to me. I will be sure to share my progress along the way.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I don't think it is actually possible to do and still be safe to drive. Especially on a hatchback which is completely different than the wagon even. You even said the 4WD is rusted out so you can't use it anyway!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you would end up with a frankencar that no one would want. I can not imagine trying to make the longer wheel base 4wd body pan fit on a hatch back body. After all the effort, lots of money in gas and/or electrity, and lots of time, you would end up with an old car that would be good for what?

really, if you want a welding project, why don't you cut up the T4wd body to give it lift, and fit monster tires into those tiny wheel wells. Perhaps fit a larger engine into it as well. Add some welded front and rear bumpers, brush gaurds, etc. Now that would be a cool project: operation Amargeddon econo-Wagon.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I think once the 2wd hatchback is stripped down, adapting the floor pan to create room for the 4wd output shaft might be the easy part. In my mind, the difficult part would be adapting the rear end to contain the rear differential/axles. You might have to change the rear suspension, gas tank placement, etc.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the whole lower pan would have to be changed from fire wall to the rear bumper, including rear quarter panels and wheel wells. there is no way a rear axles and suspension in the 4wd will fit in the FWD body. you would also have to shorten the drive shaft since the wheel bases is shorter. Not worth it, way too much work to end up with chopped up car. Less work to just fix the rust on the original, no matter how bad it is.