New to me

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Guthrie
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel Wagon

New to me

Post by Guthrie »

Hi all,

I'm located on Vancouver Island and recently picked up this 87 in Duncan. It's actually my first car, and fit all my criteria, but I had no idea there was a following for these 4wd wagons until I did some Googling and found you guys. I don't know a thing about its history, but it's got 220,000kms and I recently had it evaluated and given the necessary repairs at a shop. My car knowledge in general is very small so I'm hoping to learn a thing or two around here as well.

Does anybody know where I can find a black strip for the drivers side door? Got the rear one, just needs to be put back on. Also, I can't find a manual for this year but I see there's an '85 manual posted on this forum - is that going to suffice?

Cheers :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Re: New to me

Post by Mark »

That one looks to be in very nice condition. It doesn't have any rust in the usual spots (like the fenders). It looks like the previous owners took some pride in it. It even has the chrome wheel trim things. I don't know where to get the black strip (try a scrap yard?), but I found that putting them on is easy if you use that double-sided rubber tape from Canadian Tire or wherever. The '83-'87 wagons are mostly the same with minor differences. The manual on this site should be fine for yours.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Nice looking car! It shouldn't be too hard to find one of those rubber strips. There are lots of tercel enthusiasts in BC. Several are on the Island. Not sure what postage would be to send you one.
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Post by 4doorVIP »

nice ride
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Welcome to the forum

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7442

check/replace your transaxle oil it's really important :oldgeek:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum,

in the Seattle/Puget Sound area this car is still very popular, almost cult status. Best to learn to work on a car this old yourself, we can help you with that. It will save you lots of money and headache, unfortunately most mechanics have not seen a car this old in many years (if ever) and are not familiar with them. So it not only saves you money, but we can help you pin point the problem and fix it yourself faster than the local shop. most systems on this car is simple and easy to work on with ordinary hand tools.

Looks like a nice purchase, keep it well maintained and it will last you a very long time, and hold its value too!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Guthrie
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel Wagon

Post by Guthrie »

Thanks all. The info I've already found on this forum has been immensely helpful. I think I need to spend a day with someone who knows what's what just to show me how to do basic maintenance. If any of y'all are located on the south island, hit me up!