Shane's collection

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
junkypicker
My tercel:: 84/86/87 4wd wagons

Shane's collection

Post by junkypicker »

Have had my 87 for two years now
Replaced head once
Exhaust twice
Ten tires +++
Lots of goat trails
Really big gravel roads 3" plus. Thus tires
4 driver seats. All started with wear an my dogs made sleeping spots

I'm puting together another 87 blue with a motor from an 85 all new gaskets an a clutch ..painted pretty

An then I'm making an ATV automotive terrain vehicle
So I can stop beating the shit out of my driver .. from a Mazda 323
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Shane's collection

Post by Petros »

it would be a shame to trash a good Tercel4wd, they are becoming somewhat collectable, and certainly desirable compared to the very few costly small 4x4 available.

Take measures to build in a better pet solution, the effort you take could mean thousands of dollars worth of value than just allow it to degrade to the point where it just becomes a parts car. worth little more than the scrap value.

the '87 have the much less common, and desirable, composite headlight configuration. If you scrap out one of those save all of the grill, side lamps and head light assembly.

If you have no choice but to beat it up, best find a decent, but more common and less desirable car to turn into your off road beater. A FWD '83-'86 Tercel has a lot of common parts and can be found in great shape fairly cheap, they were Toyotas entry level car and were mass produced with out any particularly desirable features other than cheap and reliable.

Though certainly a Mazda 323 makes a good beater too, Mazda makes some excellent cars and trucks, but for some reason their resale prices have not be so good (perhaps they have not got the "big name" like Toyota has). Parts are common and cheap, easy to work on and really reliable too. We have owned several mazdas, including an MPV 4x4 van that now has 320k miles on it. it has almost no resale value, but we keep it as our beater/yard hauler, demoted from being the family car.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)