Another Seattle AL25 member

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Re: Another Seattle AL25 member

Post by The Professor »

Which wrecking yard was that?
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Federal Way Auto Wrecking.
37430 Military rd. S.
Auburn, WA 98001
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Post by timothygodden »

Did you figure out which size from marlin crawler you needed? I really like how sturdy they look in comparison to Toyota and I want a set.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

Yeah I think so. The blue one for the Rf1a transfer case shifter looks to be the right shifter seat bushing (the blue one) and I got the socket bushing for the L43 side shift transmission. I bought the original Toyota Tercel parts to compare them. The seat looks like the right one however the socket bushing on the tercel is a bit thicker. So I would stick with the factory socket bushing. I haven't yet fit the shifter seat yet so don't place your order until I confirm it.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

Here you can see that the original part is a little thicker.
The one on the right is the Toyota part
09D70862-150D-4611-B877-ACF463C36719.jpg
And here are the shifter seats
AD3CC22A-4B8E-4A80-B9A2-49BC88BBC206.jpg
C08984A4-7174-41CC-B0F4-9701FD547B02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by helipilot77 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
timothygodden
Top Notch Member

Post by timothygodden »

Sweet thanks for the info. I'll stick to the Toyota socket. Let me know how your blue seal fits.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

I got a chance to install the new Marlin Crawler shifter seat yesterday. It fit perfectly. I took it for a short little test drive and the shifting is so tight and precise. If you are looking to improve the feel of your shifter I highly recommend this very cheap improvement.
3DF6ABB5-A994-48A3-B79F-233DC9316ACE.jpg
Also last night I did the MR2 master cylinder and booster upgrade. My original parts were leaking. So she is driving much better now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by helipilot77 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
timothygodden
Top Notch Member

Post by timothygodden »

Sweet. Gonna order that up asap. Thanks.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

I got a long length of silicon vacuum line in the mail yesterday. So I'm gonna start going through the vacuum system and replace all the lines. Any suggestions before I get started?
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

yes, replace them ONE AT A TIME!.

Also, as you replace each one, double check the routing and connections from the appropriate vacuum diagram for your car. do not assume what you have there now is installed correctly, it may be, but on a car this old no telling who was messing around with it, even experienced mechanics can get them mixed around. So it is always good to verify it is routed correctly as you replace them.

Several times I have purchased fixer T4wd wagons that ran like crap. One time the seller said it needed the carb to be rebuilt which he felt was beyond his capability, as well as other repairs it needed. I found 9 vacuum leaks and misrouted vac lines. once I corrected that, and adjusted the carb linkage, it ran fine and I never did rebuild the carb.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

So I took the Tercel out on the highway for the first time today and when I shifted into fifth gear nobody was home. So I guess I'm back down to a five speed transmission. I don't know what one of the previous owners must have done? They might have removed the shift fork or possibly the entire fifth gear. It's a mystery to me.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

could be a number of different issues, but it is possible to damage the 5th gear assembly only, and have the rest of the trans act totally normal.

the 5th gear assembly is in the front of the main gear box, between the diff housing and the main gear box. you might drain the front and center chamber of gear oil and see if you get any metal parts out of it. If so, the 5th gear assembly needs to be replaced.

Fortunately, once you get the trans pulled out, it is not too difficult to replace just the 5th gear assembly. You separate the diff housing from the main gear box, and it is all exposed right on the front of the main gear box. Replacing any other gear box parts requires you to pull apart the whole gear box, gear clusters, main and jack shafts, etc. Also, the 5th gear assembly I am fairly certain is the same as on the 2wd 5 speed Tercel gear box, so finding parts is not quite as difficult.

It might be possible to drive it without the 5th gear, but make sure you get all of the broken gear parts out of the housing by flushing it. Or you risk damaging the rest of the transmission with metal particles getting circulated all through it.

if you find no metal paticles there are few other things that could cause it to not shift into fifth: shift fork came loose or disconnected, a problem with the linkage or shift rods, perhaps a damaged to worn out detent. for those to be fixed you almost certainly have to pull the trans out of the car.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

I was considering getting a second transmission and rebuilding it since the current one has 220,000 miles on it and is likely a ticking time bomb; Although, I must say that it really does shift nicely. It doesn't suffer from worn out syncros at all. That is a good tip about the two wheel drive 5th gear parts. I have already bought the requisite redline gear oil. I know that non of you guys are willing to sell me one of your spare gearboxes since anyone who has one is hoarding it for themselves.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you can likely find a number of damaged ones that people have replaced to use for parts. with enough junk trans you can likely assembly enough parts to build you a good one as your spare. I think I have some trans parts you can have if you want them, I have to sort through that I am keeping and those that were known bad trans. I have traded off junk trans parts before, so I am not sure if I have any left, I do have some extra front bell housing/front diff assemblies you can have if you want them.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

I may take you up on that offer. First I think I need to figure out what I need. If it turns out that I need shift rails or forks for fifth gear it would be nice to have a ready source.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]