need help pricing my 1985 Tercel

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Jannie
My tercel:: 1985

need help pricing my 1985 Tercel

Post by Jannie »

1985 Toyota Tercel.jpg
Need help in figuring out what a fair price would be for my 1985 4WD SR5 Toyota Tercel in the Seattle, WA area (Kirkland). 5 speed stick shift with extra low. I am the original owner of the car with 230,000 total miles (engine was rebuilt a few years ago). Still runs great and the body is in good shape. There are a couple of very small rust spots and a couple of trim dings, but that's it. Interior is clean; not sparkling but nice (black & white). No smoking ever in the car. Timing chain was replaced with a good, metal one when the engine was rebuilt. Tires are fairly new, radio was replaced with a good radio/DVD player. It was only garaged in the early years, then the garage got filled up. I really don't want to sell it but five cars on insurance is too much. It needs to go to an appreciative owner. I brought my babies home from the hospital in this car, raised a Girl Scout troop with it and taught my son and daughter how to drive with it. I never got this car stuck in the snow, mud or mountain roads. Wow, getting a bit teary just thinking about it all ! Jannie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: need help pricing my 1985 Tercel

Post by irowiki »

Just send it to college with one of your kids!

Also, it has a rubber timing belt, not a timing chain.

As for price, I'm not familiar with the PNW as much but I'd eyeball it in the $2,000 range. Start a bit higher.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

If you create a c-list add for this car don't say "good metal"timing chain. It will tell any buyers your unfamiliar with what's under the hood you could say something to the effect of quality timing belt.
In my area 2,000 is top of the mark on price.
You should save it it was built better than any of your newer vehicles
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I wouldn't sell it either!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
lucafusi
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by lucafusi »

Gosh, wish I had caught you a month or two ago! Bought a 1984 SR5 from all the way on the other side of the country and it was pricey after everything and shipping. I'm in Kirkland as well! Let me know what ends up happening to this guy, as a new owner I'm already watching the local listings and waiting for something on mine to fail--I kinda never want to drive another sort of car again..
1984 Tercel 4x4 SR5
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

If you sell it you'll NEVER replace it!!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Jannie

Post by Jannie »

lucafusi wrote:Gosh, wish I had caught you a month or two ago! Bought a 1984 SR5 from all the way on the other side of the country and it was pricey after everything and shipping. I'm in Kirkland as well! Let me know what ends up happening to this guy, as a new owner I'm already watching the local listings and waiting for something on mine to fail--I kinda never want to drive another sort of car again..
Ah ha! Maybe you are the one I see driving around in Kirkland!
Jannie

Post by Jannie »

Gottolovem wrote:If you create a c-list add for this car don't say "good metal"timing chain. It will tell any buyers your unfamiliar with what's under the hood you could say something to the effect of quality timing belt.
In my area 2,000 is top of the mark on price.
You should save it it was built better than any of your newer vehicles

Probably I'm thinking of the light Toyota truck we worked on as far as the timing belt goes.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the forum Jannie.

I would not sell mine either. I have bought a number of non-running fixer Tercel4wds, got them running good as daily drivers, cleaned up nice, all sold within a day for $2500-$3500. (not restored, just made as good daily drivers and cleaned up). Give yours good wash, clean interior, and you can get as much as $3500 for it Puget sound area. They are very popular around here, almost every time I go to Seattle someone stops me and asks about selling mine, and it is not particularly clean. You as the original owner also has is a selling point. there is a big demand for good runners (you can find non-runners for cheap all the time, the key is that it is mechanically sound, not many do-it-yourselfers anymore)

good luck (I recommend selling your other cars and keeping this one).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Jannie

Post by Jannie »

Thanks, Petros! Good information.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

You can easily paint the faded black trim using a matte black paint as well masking off the areas and by either using a spraycan or roller brush with a few light applications. A bit of detailing will help sell. Steam clean the engine and interior as well can help.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Jannie

Post by Jannie »

Thanks, Mattel!
lucafusi
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by lucafusi »

Jannie wrote:
lucafusi wrote:Gosh, wish I had caught you a month or two ago! Bought a 1984 SR5 from all the way on the other side of the country and it was pricey after everything and shipping. I'm in Kirkland as well! Let me know what ends up happening to this guy, as a new owner I'm already watching the local listings and waiting for something on mine to fail--I kinda never want to drive another sort of car again..
Ah ha! Maybe you are the one I see driving around in Kirkland!
Ha ha ha. If it's the two tone dark / light blue one with the roof lights, yeeeeep.

Stop me or honk if you see me around! :D
1984 Tercel 4x4 SR5
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

"sir, I have to make a citizen's arrest here"

"but why"

"I like your car"

*person drives off in your tercel*

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k