Zach's 1985 4WD Tercel Wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Zach's 1985 4WD Tercel Wagon

Post by Petros »

if it is cold where you are I found I have to heat the gear oil to get it to flow through a pump or filler nozzle (I but the gear oil jug in a big pot on the stove and let it warm up on a low flame). It was about 40 deg F when I had to fill my diff, and check my trans gear oil level, and that gear oil would not flow through the tube. Heating it up to about 120 deg made if flow nicely, and not too hot to handle the jug.

Use the kind of filler nozzle shown below, most auto parts stores have them, as does Walmart, for about $4. Put a longer hose on it so it will reach the trans fill plug, and position the jug so it is hanging inverted. You open the nozzle and let it flow in. you can also regulate the flow using the nozzle, though gear oil, even warmed, is rather slow to fill anyway. The clear hose allows you see that it is actually flowing, and if you use the measured amount of gear oil, know when when the jug is completely drained. Easy-peasy (as the brits say).

I use the same set up to fill the rear diff, I can have the jug along side the car next to the wheel, no need to work up side down on your back to fill the rear diff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

Took her on the maiden voyage. I need to correct the two on the passenger's front wheel and tune in the carb and get the exhaust gasket, but otherwise it's fine. Oh, and the bloody gauge fuse blew at some point, I think while I was tightening the column fasteners.

Going to have to print that circuit so my BF doesn't go up in flames when I'm not around. ELEEEECTRICAAAAL BOOOOOOOYZ.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

lannvouivre wrote:Took her on the maiden voyage. I need to correct the two on the passenger's front wheel...
congrats, it is drivable now. I would get all the passengers off the front wheel too, that sounds dangerous. :lol:
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Oops, meant toe. I think my short is probably in the portion on the circuit that's for the 4WD and e-brake indicators, or in the Extra Low gear indicator circuit. Everything under the dash, save the speakers and antenna, seems not to have been messed with or be installed carelessly, but the transmission wires were all ripped off.

Makes me shake my head every time I have to type it. Every last transmission wire is frayed to pieces and looks to have been dragged off or something. How does this even happen? They weren't chewed on, they were torn right off. It's just unbelievable!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

likely when someone was pulling the trans they forgot to pull the connectors first, and when they finally got it unbolted they just let the wires stretch and break, rathern pull out of the connectors. it is possible where these wires connect at the other end they are shorted since the actual wire may have cut through the insulation.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

I think that either someone pulled the trans like you said, or drove over something that managed to grab the part of the harness where it enters the engine bay on the driver's side of the trans.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Had to drill out the screw that fastens the horn button to the steering wheel. PO stripped it out and overtightened it. My solution: drill off the head and tell Zach I recommend a new steering wheel soonish.

I then worked on getting the front wheels closer to where they need to be, then filled the tank with gas and threw a new 7.5 amp fuse in both the DOME and GAUGES spots. Ziptied the transmission wires to the fuse box so that they can't touch anything while I test for the problem, but I really need to get an alignment done.

I also cannot get over what feels like 25 mph. I'm not redlining, but I get it up to 4th and it seems like I'm not getting enough throttle opening. I will have to work on the cable positioning and tune the carb in.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

sounds like perhpas fuel starvation: check for bad vacuum leaks, check for proper fuel pressure (the weber must have lower fuel pressure than the stock fuel pump delivers or it will flood), check your fuel filter is not plugged, check that the rubber fuel lines are all good (if they leak air up stream of the pump it will suck air into the line and starve engine of fuel).

Also, verify the spark timing is correct and mechanical advance is working (check with timing light).
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

There's an advance for timing in addition to the vac advance?
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

After replacing every underhood fuel hose, I have determined that the reason I have 1.5 or fewer PSI is because I have either a failed FPR or the fittings that hook the pressure gauge are leaking too much. Awesome.

EDIT: Well, it wasn't a leak. Can't tell if the FPR is the issue, or if it's the fuel pump, or if there's a leak somewhere on the other end.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

The FPR seems to be the issue. I hooked the hose straight to the carb and I can now get over 40 mph! Can't wait to drop this pile in for an alignment. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Also, the clutch is chattering a lot. Must fix.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

Just some pictures

Engine bay shots:

Just for a size comparison (the Vibe is mine, the Tercel is my BF's)

Positive camber on the FWD Tercel's new struts+springs using the alignment marks that someone else made:

Water poured out of this harness and for some reason the PO left about 3 feet more wire in the fan's wire than was necessary:

In other news, I got some wire grommets and can perhaps install the electric fuel pump soon.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Didn't the vibe have red trim or something along that line?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member

Post by lannvouivre »

It had red stripes made with vinyl, but they were faded and beat up.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the fan should have a connector. someone sure did a hatchet job on that poor Tercel, no telling what other red neck fixes you will find hidden elsewhere in the car. you may be chasing your tail for a while on this one.