Just baught a 1983 4wd wagon (paint tips anyone? :)

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Just baught a 1983 4wd wagon (paint tips anyone? :)

Post by BaileySims »

[quote="melzy"]Thanks so much Bailey! Awfully kind! Hope not working to hard! Will pm now. What's wagon mafia out of
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BaileySims on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
melzy
Advanced Member
My tercel:: tercel 4wd 1983

Post by melzy »

Bloody brilliant! Hahahaah :arrow: Not about you not having breaks :mrgreen:
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Hey guys i've started on the rust... Removed the trim, sanded, cleaned and added some rust converter. Would you recommend spraying primer and then fibreglass over top a body filler and then primer again before painting or do you not have to add primer again?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

melzy wrote:Bailey I can't private message you :/
to PM someone, click on the white 'speech balloon' at the bottom of their profile information, then click on the blue speech balloon that appears.
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Hi guys thanks for all the help thus far! I got more rust issues on the arches iof the wheels in the trunk of the car and a really dodgy job someone tried to cover it with! Can't believe I didn't see it when I baught the car. Has anyone had problems with this area rusting? Would you guys say it's serious or surface rust? I have on both sides but havnt got the panel off the driver side yet. Have tried prodding the rust with screwdriver and seems solid. Also trying to get loose around the rust to see how far it spreads! Another issue I found was either the old glue attached to the carpet went horrid and dark/gooey. Or its some oil leak of some kind but I can't get it off! Will try white spirit tomoz have tried oven cleaner and wire brushing today.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Yes, I have seen some severe rust in those areas. If allowed to get bad it does support the shock and spring, so rather important. Looks like you can catch it soon enough and it should be ok. Is that tar or something in the rest of the rear of the car?
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Looks like it's been patched over with some sort of sticker foam very odd, I'll make sure I do a better job at patching it up haha. Yea I'm trying to figure out what it is! Have been scrubbing at it all day. Was under the carpet so had to take that out as was also covered on the underside and rotting.
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

At Home Depot you can buy an attachment for a drill that removes paint and rust that should work to remove most of the rust
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

:shock: :oldgeek: :lol:
White spirit is getting most of the tar off and I'll slowly strip all the rest back with my black and decker mouse! Such a project I'm scared what il find on the other side
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

do not worry, there are simple ways of patching holes completely though the metal, particularly in the floor where it will not be seen. You need to make sure all of the rust is removed.

Welding in a metal patch is the best way, but not necessary if the holes are small. Once the rust is removed, I would enlarge the hole to eliminate any thin metal edges, paint with both rust resisting primer and color coating, you could even apply several coats of under coating to both sides. than cut a metal patch large enough to cover it, work it so it fits tightly against the area to be patched, and than use sheet metal screws to screw it down. follow with several more coats of under coating to seal it, and you are done. the same thing can be done in areas where it might show, but you have to patch from the back side, use flush screws or "pop" rivets (blind fasteners), and than get the whole patch below contour with a mallet, and fill the patch area with body filler up to original contour. In those areas however, brazing or welding the patch in place is actually less work since you will need a lot less body filler.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Hey Petros! Cool... I think you make it sound loads easier then it is. Are you a bodywork expert? Thanks for the tips much appreciated. I think I'd leave the welding to the welding dudes ha! May have a go on these wheel arches as it's hidden. I'm quite good with the filler and just got a neat little mouse sander :) will update soon with all the repairs to get the body in shape. She's been sent off for a general service with a long list of to dos by all the guys on the forum. Hope he doesn't think I'm being bossy! After that il be doing it all by myself with the forum faqs and guidance ^_^
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I do not particularly care to do body work, I do regular minor dent repair and paint touch up. I would much rather do a brake job than do body work. But I have done my fair share of it on project cars over the last 40+ years I have been messing with vintage cars and trucks.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

Hey Petros! You are so right and it's not an easy job! The rust is already coming through the primer and my fibreglass is not easy to sand down smooth so definitely a job for the pros! Sounds like you have a great portfolio under your belt! :)
melzy
Advanced Member

Post by melzy »

some fibreglassing on the drivers side, still need to sand it all down again, rust proof and prime. I also used some solution finish black trim for the ash tray worked a treat in one application. still needs a lean up but so much better will used for trims and bumpers next :)