"The Nomad" my 84 sr5

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Re: "The Nomad" my 84 sr5

Post by timothygodden »

Ok time for an update.
I have put 24hrs+ run time on the clip and put it threw its rev range a number of times (more for fun than anything else). No weird sounds, no back fires, no smoke, no leaks, temps hold steady no spikes, runs like a top happy as can be. Timing is dead on 11*, vvt activates as it should, all sensors are operating, compression test 210psi across the board. Sadly no leak down test as my air compressor died and I have not broken in my replacement yet, maybe later today if time permits.
I have stripped the clip as far as I could while still being able to run it. Gonna run the last bit of fuel out the system, do my leak down test, and drain fluids and yard it out, clear some space so I can prep the chassis, brake upgrades suspension work, new fuel line, brake and fuel line relocation, power steering mods, new carrier bearing, new ball joints, pull the dash out, new heater core, and various other things I can't recall at the moment.
Lot to do to get this on the road by summer, hope I can do it, taking the summer off and I want be ripping around the PNW in my 20v powered tercel.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

good luck! love to see it when it is done.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
timothygodden
Top Notch Member

Post by timothygodden »

Had to save my tercel from being swallowed by a tree, got a fresh dent on the roof but no serious damage thankfully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elika
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Post by Elika »

Damn, the red valve cover is a really nice touch, how did you paint it?
timothygodden
Top Notch Member

Post by timothygodden »

Was pretty easy, I had the valve cover hot tanked when I rebuilt the head, I taped off the threads so bolts would reinstall easily and I rattle canned it with red high temperature engine paint then sealed it with a clear coat of the same paint.
timothygodden
Top Notch Member

Post by timothygodden »

So I have been a bit lazy about the project but some awesome road trips, and forest service road drives in the pick up have motivated me to get the project underway. Labled all my wires and hoses, drained the fluids, disconnected and removed everything in my way, supported the engine with a hoist, unbolted the cross member and frame mounts, and engine on the ground, finally progress!

Pulled apart the interior side of the clip, removed body and engine wire harness, pulled all the extra weight off, and hoisted the now scrap metal over the engine. I am now free to work on the engine and scrapping the metal will give me space to prepare the tercel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by timothygodden on Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

Hurry up! We only have a month of of guaranteed good weather left.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
timothygodden
Top Notch Member

Post by timothygodden »

Not going as fast a I want it too have other projects cooking but working hard on it! Engine is on the stand stripped and ready for rwd modification. Stripping the Nomad down today, prep for painting the engine bay and various other parts. More pics soon.
timothygodden
Top Notch Member

Post by timothygodden »

A little progress on the project, sadly I came across a few spots of rust on the firewall, two pinky finger size holes, one under the wiper motor and another over the brake booster, so I shall be repairing those and painting the engine bay black. Anyone know if it is worth pulling the fenders off for this?

Just the tank, fuel lines, dash, booster, and harness left to remove, parts to clean and paint, then I can start piecing the nomad back together
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

It's not too hard to take off the fenders at this point. I'd take them off and clean up the lip over the wheels. This was designed to trap dirt and moisture to cause rust. I'm not sure why car manufacturers insist on rust on that fender area, but I personally don't like it. I'd clean it up and spray that lip area with rubberized undercoating or something to send a "screw you!" to the rust-fetish car designers.
timothygodden
Top Notch Member

Post by timothygodden »

Thanks Mark I probably will go that route, I was thinking of rhino lining the wheel wells anyways, make them easier to spray out after adventures.

Got the fuel tank drained out and removed, fuel lines out and the dash apart yesterday. Probably going to rain the next few days, so into the car tent I go to clean pieces and figure out the BT engine harness.
timothygodden
Top Notch Member

Post by timothygodden »

Sadly my Oldsmobile did not pass emissions so I am working on that now instead of the tercel but here are a few gems my girlfriend picked up for me.
timothygodden
Top Notch Member

Post by timothygodden »

Rust repair begins.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

HOw big are the pictures you are trying to post? I can raise the limits.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
timothygodden
Top Notch Member

Post by timothygodden »

Found a photo resizing app that works well. I have a 13mp camera on my phone not sure what your limit size is but it isn't much of an issue now.