"The Nomad" my 84 sr5

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
timothygodden
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5 lifted, modified head, delta cam, 2" exhaust

Re: "The Nomad" my 84 sr5

Post by timothygodden »

Petros wrote: btw, all 16 valve heads may not do this, I think the early 4age have the same rear to front flow as well.
Wow so lots of different choices for the 4age head gaskets, with all the different 4age hybrids out there, I am really surprised there isn't more readily available information on this. I have seen 20v compared to the 16v but not the various 16v compared, does the 4agze have a specific gasket as well. What do the 7age hybrids use?
I always thought that tha a 7age would be a nice swap for the tercel same crank bolt pattern, better torque then the 4age, and a lower red line then the 20v.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: "The Nomad" my 84 sr5

Post by Petros »

there is no proper 7age, there is a 7afe that might be too tall to fit without a modified hood. the "7age" is a 7afe short block with the 4age head made to work on it, it was never a production engine, but something the backyard builders came up with.

The 7afe is not a bad engine for the TErcel4wd, if it could be made to fit. It has a remarkable flat torque curve, lower rpm and excellent economy. making it fit might be a lot of work, and I do not know if they ever made one designed for a conventional front to back installation, so either you would have to plumb the radiaor hoses to work, or experiment with reversing the flow in the head.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)