At long last! My first tercel

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Re: At long last! My first tercel

Post by jimcrazy »

I had 5 carbs pulled apart all about same amount of crap in them. the gas tanks here all rust out on the top side letting dirt in to them for a few years, filters only get so much of it,the real fine stuff settles out in bowl
cromagmom
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 84 Tercel 4wd

Post by cromagmom »

I had a good layer of super fine muck in the bottom of my bowl. This is probably the first time it's been taken apart and cleaned.
tobiaslooser
My tercel:: 83 tercel wagon, SR5

Post by tobiaslooser »

my repair manual says 5w 30 for the winter.
cromagmom
Advanced Member

Post by cromagmom »

So I just replaced a rear wheel bearing and replaced the springs/shocks with pathfinder and thunderbird parts. Deleted the sway bar. The awful noise from the bad bearing is gone, but there is now an even more terrible shuddering at low speeds ~ 15 mph. It goes away around 20. Would anyone have a clue to what this could be?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

how are the bushings on the upper and lower trailing links? these are the tie rods that local the axle to prevent it rotating, and allow it move up and down, two larger lower ones (attached near the lower shock mount), and two shorter upper ones that are inboard.

might it have something to removing the sway bar? this not just helps locate the rear axle but also dampens the movement.

How is your rear universal joint? by raising the rear it puts a more severe angle on the joint, if it is worn it will make a kind of rumbling noise at sharp angles (as you accelerate the angle would get less as the rear of the car squats down somewhat).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
cromagmom
Advanced Member

Post by cromagmom »

The bushings seem OK for an 84. Maybe removing the sway bar made this problem come to light? I'm not against the sway bar, though I tried to put it back on and could quite get the clips to get back onto the axle housing. I'll give it another go.

The u-joint is definitely at a different angle. What part number would that be? I'm not able to pull that up on rock auto.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

they do not sell the u-joint separately, per toyota FSM, you are supposed to replace the whole driveshaft assembly. And you can not buy them anymore, even if they were a reasonable price.

pull the rear flange off the drive shaft (12 mm open end wrench should do it), and than manually rotate the u-joint in your hand. Ideal it will rotate around smoothly. more likely there will be rough spots ("notchy" is they way one forum member described it). But that is not a serious problem, it just means it is worn. if either is the case that is not the source of your vibrations.

If it is bad enough to cause a vibration it will be sloppy, loose and have noticeable moment in the bearing caps. if that is the case there might be a replacement u-joint we can find that can be used to rebuilt the rear u-joint. We did that with the steering shaft u-joint (there is a tread on the topic), so there should be something the right size that can be used as a replacement.

the old u-joint has to be pressed or driven out, the yoke cleaned up, and the new one pressed in. to secure it I would also use locktight and stake down the edges of the yoke with a punch to make sure it stays in place. not a difficult job, and kind of surprising Toyota did not make the u-joint available as a service item, instead I guess they thought their design was so good that no will ever replace it, if they did, they would sell them a whole new driveshaft. We can out smart them by finding the actual u-joint they use, and install it our selves.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)