a YELLOW hello from Alberta, Canada!!!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
LeeBiew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: "The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd and "The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)

Re: a YELLOW hello from Alberta, Canada!!!

Post by LeeBiew »

Petros, I have seen the Japanese bumpers and I also think they look great! If you ever get word on where to get a set, be sure to let me know! Painting the trim was definitely on my list. I am pretty certain that I will also attempt to spray bomb some of the faded paint as well, it's peeling on the roof in a small area, and a little bit of black overspray everywhere from the previous owner trying to touch up the trim in other areas. I definitely want to get rid of the black under the SR5 trim. So I will be contacting those guys to see how much it might cost me to get some paint into Canada. I have thought about "fixing" the current wheels but looks like it was painted with barbecue paint or something, really rough and bumpy. I would have to sandblast it or something and repaint it, might just be easier to get new ones. My plans originally were to get some of those newer style 5 spoke steelies (winter tire steelies), but I am really liking the MR2 wheels. I think an 80's car looks best when it has 80's wheels on it. It looks so factory! I also love the spoiler you have, also looks so factory, right at home on the hatch.

Marlinh, you had a Yellow 84 Terc? I thought it was just an 83 colour.

ARCHINSTL, thanks for the link! It sounds straight forward enough. Wow, you did that in '06? When you go to repaint, is there anything you would do differently? Are you gonna scuff down the first repaint?

BTW, any one know where I might be able find an original luggage rack?
"The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd
"The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Actually, my first effort was removing the rear bumper and spraying, still with the RustOleum Satin Black (also did the ATM after removing it). That worked out quite well.
I was then gonna do the front bumper the same way, but after seeing the amount of work involved in removal, elected to use the foam roller and was quite pleased - and was also surprised at the quality of the roller work.
I would suggest practicing on a smooth piece of plastic or metal first, though, to get the hang of the right amount of paint to soak up and how light to roll it.
I used the same roller on the window trim and the drip rail around the roof (after laboriously scraping off the plasticoid coating). Ditto on the side rub strips.

I just used 600 wet sandpaper to clean the bumpers and will do the same this time - they already have the prior coats, so should result in an even smoother coat. After sanding, I used Simple Green to clean the items before painting.

A plus on the roller usage compared to spraying was no need to mask everything and no overspray; of course, the paint around the trim had to be masked with tape.

Note that the grill and ATM have to be removed and sprayed, obviously.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
LeeBiew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: "The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd and "The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)

Post by LeeBiew »

Great!
I can't wait to try it! Right now, I have a major tune up lined up, I want to get it running PERFECTLY first. So this might have to queue up until more money shows up. Is this process that made Petros' car look soooo clean in the photo? I can't get over how awesome that thing looks! How about you? What does your car look like? I'd love to see it and what your bumpers look like! Goldie? Is it?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

LeeBiew -
See thread of https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... die#p42940 for pix of Goldie.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

welcome to the forum, lee. are you going to do the tune up or do you have a shop doing it?
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

Thanks! I will be. I have already changed fuel filter, plugs, cap, rotor. Still have yet to double check ignition timing (no timing light yet). Waiting on my NGK wires and radiator hoses. I have a thermostat ready to go. I have done seafoam (1/2 can) in the crank + and a can in the tank. Next will do the trans oil and rear diff. All of this is just leading up to the dreaded vacuum lines. Also gonna double check my cooling fan switch (I am suspicious of it) when I do a couple fresh water flushes and a coolant change when my hoses show up. After all this, I also want to rebuild the carb. This is just off he top of my head for now, am I missing anything?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

that sounds like a great start! don't forget to

- change the oil and filter after driving however many kms seafoam recommends
- check the sway bar end bushings

what makes you suspicious of the cooling fan switch? in my experience, 1/2 to 1/3 on the temp gauge is normal for regular driving, and in stop-and-go traffic the gauge will eventually rise to about 5/8, the fan will come on, and cool it back down to just below 1/2. to make sure the fan is working, turn the ignition to 'on', unplug the plug at the bottom passenger side of the rad, and the fan should come on. if not, the electric fan itself is faulty.

i would not rebuild the carb if you don't have to. before you do that, be very thorough in making sure the vacuum hoses are all routed correctly, all of the vacuum diaphragms hold vacuum, the ignition timing is correct, and that the idle, fast idle, and throttle positioner are set to factory specs using the FSM. you might also check the rotor for spring-loaded counter clockwise play. if it does not have a small amount of this, the grease in the distributor is gummed up and must be replaced. it's not a very big job to tear the dizzy apart if it is required.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

My thoughts exactly! I will change the oil when I get down off jack stands, got extra oil and a filter ready. Swat bar ends huh? That wasn't on my list yet, but it is now! In regards to the fan switch, I have had the temp all the way right up to the red. When I went to unplug the switch, it started up no problem. so i left it unplugged to cool it until "1/2". Engine still running, I plugged it in again, and waited until "3/4"... went to check the switch, and when I twisted it in a little and jiggled it, (switch, not the connector) it started, but wouldn't stay on unless I pressed on it or twisted it lightly. I want to pull the switch and visually inspect it. I called a local parts place, they said $65 for a fan switch?! I was thinking because it 31 years old, the Tercel deserves a new one anyways, it will be one less thing on my mind when I am driving it.
Last edited by LeeBiew on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

I have also just recieved my '83 FSM today and I can't wait to use it. I will replace all lines and re-rout what is needed. I have already noticed one line disconnected. I have a feeling my various idles are not set correctly. Definately will be checking the diaphrams. Have already check ignition advance and it does rotate about 10 degrees. I want that thing to run prefectly! Are the diaphrams hard to find replacements for? I have also check the related linkages and made sure they move freely, and some WD-40 just in case. What about my valves? Should I check my clearances? Should I check the engine timing? timing belt?
Last edited by LeeBiew on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

yeah, the sway bar ends and the bushings there are the achilles heel of these cars. i made a thread a while back on checking them, here it is.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7481

good work on inspecting the fan switch. $65 is REALLY steep for it. you could probably get by with one from a wrecking yard rad but for the hassle of possibly having to do the job again later, you might be better off going with the new one for now. it's nice once you have accumulated a good stockpile of good used parts so you can avoid those purchases but when you're starting out, sometimes you run into this stuff.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

Thanks for the link! Geez, that is really scary, I hope mine isn't like that. Great write up! You might have just saved my life! How many km's were on your car when you took those sway bar photos? What condition was the rest of the car in? Do other 2nd gen Tercs (hatch, sedan) have swaybars? Are they interchangeable?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

that sway bar shown in that link is from my second parts car and i never took note of the mileage on it. the remains of tube shown on the left (and the tube that was so non-existent it came off as dust) were from my second project terc which had about 260,000 km on it. that's about 161,000 miles. of course i don't know if either of those were the original tubes or bushings but it's quite possible. that project car had some decent rust on it while the parts car was relatively rust free.

i can't say for certain but i believe the other 2nd gen tercs share the same front swaybar--they share a lot of front end components. i guess the best thing to do would be to bring your swaybar to a wrecker and compare against a 2wd. if you find out, please post it here.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

LeeBiew wrote: In regards to the fan switch, I have had the temp all the way right up to the red. When I went to unplug the switch, it started up no problem. so i left it unplugged to cool it until "1/2". Engine still running, I plugged it in again, and waited until "3/4"... went to check the switch, and when I twisted it in a little and jiggled it, (switch, not the connector) it started, but wouldn't stay on unless I pressed on it or twisted it lightly. I want to pull the switch and visually inspect it. I called a local parts place, they said $65 for a fan switch?! I was thinking because it 31 years old, the Tercel deserves a new one anyways, it will be one less thing on my mind when I am driving it.
Check the contacts in the fan switch connector for corrosion. That happened to me on my '81 Tercel. The fan would only come on when I wiggled it. I cleaned up the connector with a folded-up piece of sandpaper and it's been running fine for a few months. On my '84 wagon, I recently changed out the switch. It wouldn't come on unless I tapped it with something hard like a wrench. That wasn't reliable enough for me so I took a good one out of an old radiator I had. Check Rockauto for dirt cheap fan switches. Just watch out for the shipping costs to Canada.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

LeeBiew wrote:Thanks for the link! Geez, that is really scary, I hope mine isn't like that. Great write up! You might have just saved my life! How many km's were on your car when you took those sway bar photos? What condition was the rest of the car in? Do other 2nd gen Tercs (hatch, sedan) have swaybars? Are they interchangeable?
NOT to be alarmnist, but...but dlb said:
More importantly... https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... bar#p24320
and
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16 ... 934#p47934
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

TIME FOR AN UPDATE!!! (...and this is a good one :-)

Soooooo...... The car has now (officially) dubbed THE HUMBLE BEE! I have had it on the road for about a month now. I have had a few small issues with it but everything is running really, really well!!! (btw... Within the first 3 hours of driving it, THE MUFFLER FELL RIGHT OFF due to rust... and IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!!! So I am going to leave it off :-) I recommend you all go home and cut your mufflers off!

To recap:

I have replaced all the basics under the hood...

Spark plugs - NGK G-Power
Spark wires
Distributor cap
Fuel filter X2 !!!!
Thermostat
Radiator hoses
(probably more that I can't remember right now)

In regards to my radiator...

I was able to find one at the local Pick n'Pull for $50, in great condition. Luckily, I was at the parts store earlier, chatting up the lady at the counter, and I found out the interchange for radiators is 83-85. I found an 85 Tercel Hatchback DLX (automatic), also still had the cooling fan switch still in it! Paid for the radiator and got the switch for free!
The radiator fits PERFECTLY! And because it was an automatic, I also has the built in oil cooler (unused, atm) which I can easily hook up to my engine oil! It's on my list now... :-)
So everything in my cooling system except for my water pump and radiator cap (and overflow and related hoses) is new or new-ish. My cooling system is now RUNNING PERFECTLY, filled with 60/40 of coolant/deionized.

In regards to my swaybar...

I also found that on THE SAME Tercel at the yard. I was able to pull the bar in the yard with nothing more than just some hand wrenches. It was in almost perfect condition! NO RUST! It even had BRAND NEW bushings on it! The collars had NO rust on them! BONUS! My old sway bar was rusty but not dangerous. The sway bar ends were not worn down at all, despite the sleeves being completely rusted away. Now I have a spare sway bar and spare used bushings and bolts!
This was ONLY possible because of this...
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7481
BTW... the lashing strap used in the sway bar installation IS A MUST! Install the bar in SECONDS!
Thanks to dlb for the great write up! Thanks to ARCHINSTL for bringing this to my attention! If either of you are ever in Alberta, I owe you each a beer :-)

One of my issues that I was having was it losing power, usually on an uphill and starving of fuel and dying. I knew it had been sitting for sometime before and the first fuel filter was ALL RUST. I poured some out and it looked like Sirachia sauce mixed with water. I have gone through two filters in the first two or three tanks of gas, but it seems all is well now! The fuel filter was just SUPER CLOGGED with rust, I think it's all out now. My 3rd filter is still clean. I hope my tank isn't too bad on the inside...

In regards to painting my trim...

Haven't gotten around to touching up the trim yet... I have been DELIGHTFULLY distracted by something else... My wheels... :-D
I started my search with MR2 rims... had a few lines on a few sets, but everyone wanted too much for them...
So I kept prowling the ads and found an ancient ad for Mazda Miata rims, with tires. Something like 450 dollars. I called them up and they were still available. I checked them out and they were in PRISTINE condition! They had come off a ?2000? Miata, the non-diasy ones, the sleek curved 5-spoke ones, silver. Had 85% left of the Dunlop Direzza V-rated's!
I did the tire size calculation online and it was 0.12% within the original Toyota specs! After some negotiations, I stole them from her for $250!!! Awesome deal! They look real good too! Just had to get a new set of lugs, $60 for 4 corners. So $310 CAD all in for these rims. It's a good thing I got these rims, because TODAY I JUST COMPLETED MY MOST RECENT PROJECT... My brake upgrade!

Now on to the good stuff...
I have upgraded my front brakes from the original 9.5" solids to vented 10.2" rotors WITHOUT ANY SPACERS!!! It all started with this...
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4998
This swap outlines swapping in Tercel rotors with 85-86 MR2 calipers. The MR2 rotor (238mm) is pretty much the same diameter as the stock (243mm), as per rockauto.com. This means the vented upgrade is also a SMALLER DIAMETER.

After some researching online, I found a write up of how someone swapped 85 MR2 rotors for 88 MR2 rotors, giving them the larger/thicker rotor, all the while completely bolting up, no modifications. THIS IS A 258mm (10.2") ROTOR!
http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/brakes/brakes.html
Even the 85 MR2 caliper can still be used, it's just a little narrower...
looking good so far :-)

The local Pull n'Pick had an 87 MR2, with front brakes still intact. The pads and rotors looked BRAND NEW! After disassembling it in the yard, I took the rotor and caliper to two other Tercels in the yard for a test fit. The 87 Tercel, I couldn't get the caliper bracket off, but I was able to confirm that the solid Tercel rotor and larger MR2 rotor had the same "top hat" height, the rotor itself was larger and thicker. Then onto the 94 Tercel, and again confirmed the height of the "top hat" to be the same. I was able to get the bracket off this Tercel and larger MR2 rotor/caliper fit perfectly!
It was also a 50% off Saturday sale, so I grabbed both calipers, both rotors, both hoses. Also got the pads, and pad springs, all the bolts, etc... Total $45!!!
So again, looking good so far :-)

I get home and begin test fitting my larger MR2 brakes to my 83 Tercel... using washers to confirm the ~3mm rotor spacer I would need (as per Petros' great write up!) and found out that I would need EXACTLY 7mm's of offset... Just like Petros predicted. 7mm means I would HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO HUB CENTER left to support the wheel, which I don't like. So what to do???

Again, I turned to researching and SEARCHing before whining and complaining and begging the Internet for a solution. ALL the answers are there! You just have to find them!

I began with this list https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... fit#p67569
and this site http://www.rockauto.com.

You'll notice that all the photos of the rotors for the Centric branded rotors are not photos, but rather, a drawing with dimensions. I first looked up and compared the rotor dimensions for an 93 Tercel, 85 MR2 and 87 MR2 and noticed that they all had similar dimensions. About a 47mm height. What I needed was something 7mm "shorter".

That's where the list came into play... I began searching all the rotors that have a 4X100 bolt pattern. I searched all other Toyota's first: Echo, Yaris, etc... Looked like the MR2 Spyder would be a better fit, but not good enough. Besides, MR2 Spider? Not going be found in any yards. Then I searched Miata, because The center hub is the same size. No luck, rotor was almost identical to the MR2, 47mm-ish height. No other Mazdas. Same with the Hondas (Acuras). I searched everything. But then..... I FOUND IT!

93-98 VW Golf
88-98 VW Jetta
90-97 VW Passat
95-02 VW Cabrio
(This interchange information is as per rockauto.com)

These rotors almost identical to the MR2 rotor EXCEPT that it was 1.5mm smaller O.D. (no big deal), and 2mm thinner in the rotor (no big deal either). It's I.D. was larger at 65mm vs. our 54mm (no bid deal either, rotors are not weight bearing), but the bolt holes were 1mm smaller, despite using the same stud size! BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY... IT HAD A 39mm "TOP HAT" HEIGHT!!!

SO.... I needed 48mm - 7mm = 41mm! Of course this is just speculation and I have yet to measure the thickness of the "top hat" (not "top hat" height).
Also because this rotor is 2mm thinner, it's height would be naturally 1mm shorter, so I was half-expecting to need a spacer between my caliper bracket and knuckle to move my caliper 1mm outboard to compensate. It was getting late, and I had gathered enough evidence to support my theory, so I called it a night.

Next day I did some more quick research on what size wrenches I would need to pull VW rotors and checked my Row52 app to see what was in the yard. My Row52 app told me there were 4 candidates, 3 Golfs and a Jetta. I locate them all and only one had the vented rotors, the other 3 had smaller solids. Pulled the VW rotors off a 98 VW Golf hatchback GL no problem and head home. I begin bolting everything up and EVERYTHING FITS PERFECTLY!!! NO SPACERS, NO NOTHING!

I get my dad to help me bleed my brakes. We tried for an hour and no pressure in the pedal! Fluid is moving, caliper is not seized, nothing is leaking... WHAT THE HELL!!! My dad says he's sure the caliper is bad. But I didn't believe him. I told him I would trade the 87 MR2 calipers for 93 Tercel ones, and I should know then. So I give up for the night, swap my solids back, bled the brakes... took me less than 20 mins. Got home and meditated on it. I don't mind things not working, I just need to know why. And I didn't know why this isn't. I remembered something strange about the 87 MR2 calipers... They have stamps on them indicating "R" and "L". So I installed them as such. When I did, they seemed to be upside down compared to my original calipers.
Again... I turned to rockauto.com. I looked up the Centric branded (standard) Front Left Caliper for an 83 Tercel, 93 Tercel, 85 MR2, 87 MR2... and guess what?! All the calipers matched, except for the 83 Tercel caliper, it looked like it was backwards, like "R" and "L" were switched (when compared to 93 Tercel, 85 MR2, 87 MR2).

If you take a look here... http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/brakes/brakes.html You'll notice in the photo that the front caliper for that MR2 is mounted BEHIND the rotor, not IN FRONT like our Tercels. More Google searching seemed to show a pattern. All solid rotor'd Toyota front brakes had the calipers mounted behind the rotor, while the vented ones had the caliper mounted in front of the rotor. Again, it was getting late, and I had gathered enough evidence to support my theory, so I called it a night.

The next day, before returning to the yard to exchange my calipers (I still believe the calipers are fine, my dad doesn't) I try the brakes again. Because I had followed the original stamping on the caliper while I was installing it on the BACK of my rotor, the caliper got flipped and the bleeder valve was BELOW the brake line, and therefore never filled the caliper with fluid, never able to displace the air inside. This time, I swap "R" for "L", I installed MR2 "L" on my Tercel "R" and vice versa. Everything bolted up perfectly, again. But this time... the brakes bled beautifully! It took us 5 mins!!! So I quickly cleaned up and put the wheels on, back the car out of the garage for a test drive :-D

First, a few times in front of the house... heavy, heavy braking from 40kmh. then 60. Then around the block, twice. Braking harder and harder everytime. Everything is great! Super smooth, super stable, no grinding, no noises. AWESOME!!! Then I pulled onto a bigger road, hit 80, hard braking down to zero. GREAT!!! The pedal feels the same, same braking force... But I am coming to a stop in (guessing) 1/5th less distance for the same pedal travel/force. So far I can only see one possible issue that could arise from this... RIM SIZE!

Remember how I was saying that it was a good thing I have these 15" Miata's? Remember how I said I didn't use ANY SPACERS WHAT-SO-EVER for my brake upgrade? Well the result is that I HAVE LESS THAN 1MM CLEARANCE BETWEEN MY RIM AND MY CALIPER BRACKET (CARRIER)!!! It looks pretty good to have a brake that fills so much of my wheel :-D Theoretically it should be fine as the rim would never change it's relation to the brake assembly, but it is SUPER CLOSE. What if something got caught between my brake and rim? I will have to ponder this some more. Ironically, I might end up getting 3mm spacers, not for the rotor, but for the wheel... hahaha. I will also be replacing these temporary junkyard parts with new parts soon (Rockauto.com has cross-drilled/slotted Stoptech rotors for the 98 Golf). And since my calipers are 87 MR2... how about some BREMBO 4-POTS hahahaha...

I can't believe how easy this NO SPACER, EVEN LARGER, VENTED, MR2/GOLF UPGRADE was for my Humble Bee!!! And it fits BETTER than the VENTED TERCEL upgrade!!!
NONE OF THIS COULD HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE WITHOUT PETRO'S BRAKE UPGRADE WRITE-UP!!! I did everything exactly the same, except I used calipers (with bracket and hoses) from an 87 MR2 and rotors from a 98 Golf, THAT'S IT!!! Petros, If you are ever in Alberta, I owe you two beers!

It's been a great month for me and the Humble Bee!!! I LOVE THIS CAR SOOO MUCH!!!

(photos to come, brakes especailly :-)
Last edited by LeeBiew on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.